manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I belong to a church with a very large congregation. I like going because the leaders are very good teachers. Sometimes though, it feels a little too big. It doesn't seem like a new person is recognized as new and approached or engaged by anyone. When I first started attending this was fine because I was not saved yet and did not desire fellowship. Now this sometimes feels a little weird because I don't really know anyone. I know part of this is because of my work schedule ( I go every Wednesday but not always the same service Sat and Sun.)
I don't want to run all over town trying churches and rejecting them, but I was considering trying a smaller church.

Do any of you have any experience with this situation? Thanks

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a servants heart when it comes to ministry, so I prefer small churches. I am currently attending a two-year old church plant, and I love serving there. While everyone has their place in the Kingdom, I prefer small churches as it seems I have more impact. It sounds pretty selfish, I know. :p But smaller churches need more help and resources. But I know some people prefer big churches because they have a broader group of believers they can be supported by. It really depends on what you want out of a church. If you want close and quality fellowship, but don't care about the size, then go for a small church. If you want a broad, but not necessarily quality or deep fellowship, go with a big church.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have two options. Develop a smaller network or circle within the church you are currently attending or downsize to a smaller more intimate church surrounding.

JMO but you say you have good teachers. For the new christian I see this as a very important positive statement. It's only natural to desire the fraternization especially when you are new and "on fire". It's kinda like the honeymoon phase of marriage. Try to be more patient. We want everything all at once. Take the time to LEARN what these teachers have to offer. A good foundation is very important and will save you much heartache down the road. There are other things you can do and places you can go for your social needs depending on your interests. (YMCA, Art Galleries, Book Clubs, Coffee Houses, Music Concerts, Fairs, Bar-B-Q's) But good teaching is not present in every church-and if you have it-stay with it (like a good university). It's much more important to get the education than to be a member of the Sorority.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Sounds like you have already found a good church so now it's just a matter of getting to know others in the congregation on an indiviual basis. Like If Not For Grace said you could get involved in a small or cell bible study group. I like to find needs within the church that I can help out with. That's also a good way to meet core members within the church.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Smaller is better, I believe. The mega churches are mostly about discipleship, which they describe as gaining enrollment by the same means as the business world (promoting in-house clubs for every interest), according to the ones we know around here.

I think there is more Godliness and Bible studies in small assemblies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums