You guys are pretty awesome;; can you help me figure this out?

Do you think that your religion matters, so long as you're a good person?

• Yes, definately.

• No, not at all.

• Maybe....

• I could care less.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agreenumbrella

ttly n07 @ n00b
Jul 30, 2008
✟15,114.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I'm probably going to get bomb-boarded, but I'm willing to take that chance. You see, like most of you, I was born and raised a Christian. I was baptized, I had my First Holy Communion, and I went to Sunday School for a few years. But the whole thing is, I don't believe that anymore. Most people told me that it was just that teenage confusion thing, but the point is, I just don't believe in God anymore. For the longest time, when I told people I don't believe in God but I was born and raised a Christian, they'd ask me: "Where are you going then, Heaven or Hell?" I would always just laugh and say, "Hell is too bad for me but Heaven is no home. I'll just dance in Limbo." And then they kind of backed away xD The whole point is that I converted to the Celtic Neo-pagan movement, mainly because I liked the idea of helping to shape a religion; I'm a leader, not a follower; a writer, not a reader. And at that I feel more able to accept others and myself and help them be at peace with themselves by listening and offering advice over a couple gallons of ice-cream. You, of all people, have to tell me I'm right when I say bullying me is wrong. Although it isn't popular in the neo-pagan movement, I proudly wear a pentagram everywhere I go, and am often interrogated because of it (so called believers don't know that the inverted pentagram is supposed to be evil and that the upright one was, although briefly, used to represent Christ). I get called names like 'devil-spawn' 'demoness-in-waiting' and once got called 'Satan's Daughter'... That year at Tekkoshocon I painted my skin red and went around as Satan's Daughter, just for the effect. I know I shouldn't care much, but I'm still only 13 years old, and the comments are coming from peers, parents of peers, people at the church (I still go with my family and respect them while they pray, as they do for me) -- I mean, it isn't right if some 80 year old lady flips you off! which she did... ;-;.

How do I get these people to leave me alone? Most of them end up calling me or e-mailing me with problems; even if I am the pagan girl I'm like the free therapist. I really don't mind, but... it's very depressing to be criticized by what you believe~ I don't even get me started about the gay rights issues D:< I'm straight but I've kissed countless girls at conventions and at talks... it doesn't help the situation, but I couldn't care less.

-end rant-

Now how do I get these people to stop destroying the destroyer of destroying things that destroy... o________o;;

Last edited:

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm probably going to get bomb-boarded, but I'm willing to take that chance. You see, like most of you, I was born and raised a Christian. I was baptized, I had my First Holy Communion, and I went to Sunday School for a few years. But the whole thing is, I don't believe that anymore. Most people told me that it was just that teenage confusion thing, but the point is, I just don't believe in God anymore. For the longest time, when I told people I don't believe in God but I was born and raised a Christian, they'd ask me: "Where are you going then, Heaven or Hell?" I would always just laugh and say, "Hell is too bad for me but Heaven is no home. I'll just dance in Limbo." And then they kind of backed away xD The whole point is that I converted to the Celtic Neo-pagan movement, mainly because I liked the idea of helping to shape a religion; I'm a leader, not a follower; a writer, not a reader. And at that I feel more able to accept others and myself and help them be at peace with themselves by listening and offering advice over a couple gallons of ice-cream. You, of all people, have to tell me I'm right when I say bullying me is wrong. Although it isn't popular in the neo-pagan movement, I proudly wear a pentagram everywhere I go, and am often interrogated because of it (so called believers don't know that the inverted pentagram is supposed to be evil and that the upright one was, although briefly, used to represent Christ). I get called names like 'devil-spawn' 'demoness-in-waiting' and once got called 'Satan's Daughter'... That year at Tekkoshocon I painted my skin red and went around as Satan's Daughter, just for the effect. I know I shouldn't care much, but I'm still only 13 years old, and the comments are coming from peers, parents of peers, people at the church (I still go with my family and respect them while they pray, as they do for me) -- I mean, it isn't right if some 80 year old lady flips you off! which she did... ;-;.

How do I get these people to leave me alone? Most of them end up calling me or e-mailing me with problems; even if I am the pagan girl I'm like the free therapist. I really don't mind, but... it's very depressing to be criticized by what you believe~ I don't even get me started about the gay rights issues D:< I'm straight but I've kissed countless girls at conventions and at talks... it doesn't help the situation, but I couldn't care less.

-end rant-

Now how do I get these people to stop destroying the destroyer of destroying things that destroy... o________o;;

I am real curious why you chose this board of all the places on the internet - to post this question. Im sure there are many atheist sites. But im sure you have ur reasons...whatever they may be.

Well - it all depends on where you want to go when you die.
It sounds by your 'rant' that you could really care less, so im not sure what you mean by being a good person. Good person meaning? What?
I dont think its right for you to be called names and treated bad by anyone, but im kind of a straight shooter when it comes to everything - so im gonna tell it to you straight. What do you mean when you say 'does religion matter?' Of course it matters. It always will matter.
Maybe not to you - but that dosent mean it dosent matter just because you dont believe it anymore.
Im gonna copy and paste something i got from gotquestions.org that i think really answers you well.

"I'm basically a good person, so I'll go to heaven." "OK, so I do some bad things, but I do more good things, so I'll go to heaven." "God won't send me to hell just because I don't live by the Bible. Times have changed!" "Only really bad people like child molesters and murderers go to hell."

These are all common rationales among most people, but the truth is, they are all lies. Satan, the ruler of the world, plants these thoughts in our heads. He, and anyone who follows his ways, is an enemy to God (1Pet 5:8). Satan always disguises himself as good (2 Corinthians 11:14), but he has control over all the minds that do not belong to God. "Satan, the god of this evil world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe, so they are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News that is shining upon them. They don't understand the message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God" (2 Corinthians 4:4).

"And this is the way to have eternal life - to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth" (John 17:3).

And how do you get those people to leave you alone? Well...im afraid its your bed you made - you are the one who has to lie in it.
If you choose to reject God then how can you think you are above any form of criticism from others?
Jesus died on the cross for our sins - he endured more criticism than any of us ever will in our lifetime put together. And he did it for us. He did it so we can have eternal life.
If you choose to reject that then i dont know - i really dont know what you are thinking to be honest.

Upvote 0

MindOfChrist2008

Jun 14, 2008
Standing On Holy Ground
✟15,160.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you've reached the age of rebellion at 13 years old. I know, you can save yourself from rolling your eyes, because we've all been there and we've all came to the point of maturity in realizing that "religion" is not about "fitting in." You've obviously been swayed by those at school. The lies purported in the curriculum, the bombardment of the music craze, kids taunting other's for believing in God. I could school you to the point of no return, but most of what I would say will fly over your head. If you read and absorb anything I write here, then please understand this: You DO NOT know EVERYTHING. Also, nobody can twist your arm into accepting Jesus. Nobody is going to start walking up to you and begin the exorcism. I'll tell you that what you're messing around with will look harmless, feel harmless and will attract a load of friends. It will also attract a load of enemies. Whether or not you want to believe it, Hell is REAL. Demons are REAL. I'm leaving this as simple as I can get. You're playing with fire. It's not a friendly place, my friend. I'm talking about the bouts you will face. It may be appealing to you, but in the long run, you will look back and regret this decision. Not only spiritually, but you will regret it in all aspects of your life. And please, stay away from drugs. If only I would have listened.

I'm really leaving it as painlessly simple as that. I could go into details that would flip your wig, but you're only 13.

I'll pray for you. You seriously do not understand the realm you're tapping into.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

-end rant-

Hi there! Welcome to CF!

Often people will say they do something or wear something or have styles about them, or talk in ways which draws attention to them and wonder why or how to stop it.

If you do not desire attention, don't stand out.

Not saying it's bad to stand out, just giving you the answer to your question.

I hope you don't mind me saying that if you have been raised in a faith, where you didn't learn about the faith you were raised in, makes lots of sense that at this age, you'd want little to do with it.

I mean if you never opened the bible; if all you heard was what a priest said, or what others say about Jesus, and never looked yourself I can imagine many people who reach a certain age, will say, I see nothing here.

Happens all the time.

People are often raised in 'religion' rather than have faith in Jesus. Not talking about Catholics, but what I mean is doing the 'religious' things. Going to church; making the signs, whatever is expected but never a knowledge for themselves.

So, you may have, but I am thinking you perhaps have never sought into who Jesus is by reading Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as a start.

You just went with the family to church and heard what others say.

Nothing for yourself; doing for others as you are continuing now.

Also, believers in Christ can be leaders and can be followers as pertains to personality style.

Believers in Christ are followers of Christ, but that does not mean they are not leaders. There are all types of personalities out there, but I wanted to let you know that you saying you are not a follower, reveals that you think that Christians are not leaders, and just as varied as there are personalities, same goes with believers in Christ.

I've been called all kinds of name as a staffer here on CF. I've been called devils spawn, and can't recall the numerous others, so that's not so unusual for a believer or non believer. In my case it was due to Christians upset with their perception of what staff is doing as regards their post or such.

So just letting you know that you will continue to be verbally troubled by others as long as you speak openly about things, which is nothing wrong with such; but it's as simple as that.

Believers get called names all the time, as do non believers.

People aren't always nice.

I wish you well, and bless you for sharing and I hope you have good friends to talk and share with as our friends (who we hang out with) can make a big difference in our lives as they listen and care and encourage us.

One thing I learned much later than I should have is that friends who encouraged me to do bad things; didn't love me at all. Didn't care that due to what was offered, encouraged risked my life. Said they loved me, but love doesn't do such things.

As I said; took me awhile to realize they really didn't care if they offered anything which would result in harm to me or others.

take care,
tapero

(note for me: this is in Christian Current Affairs forum.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Hat On

48b703ab-26df-498d-a7a4-ad5623c26331-0.jpg

Mod Hat Post:

Thread moved from Christian Current Affairs to Struggles by Non-Christians. Thanks.

Mod Hat Off

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How do I get these people to leave me alone?

I don't understand. Let's see ... You say you go around saying you don't believe in God, you wear a pentagram, you paint yourself red and imitate Satan's daughter and then ask for people leave you alone. You appear to enjoy provoking people then complain when they react. And then you claim you couldn't care less yet you see yourself as a 'leader'. I'm mystified.

But then 13 years of age is a mystifying time for most of us. As others have adequately pointed out, you are hardly in a position to form any concrete philosophy. At 13 you are trying out your wings of independence, as you should. All that is happening is that you are discovering the depth at which culture operates on each of us - you are learning that despite your drive for independence you are controlled by society. Over the next several years you will work out the limits to which you can express your independence while maintaining contact with the wider community.

I'm a leader, not a follower

May I ask? Have you noticed how many people are following you? The first requirement of any leader is to understand those who they chose to lead - and you seem somewhat concerned with reactions at the moment. Perhaps you confuse your rebellion with the status of a leader. Rebels are usually individuals and are not concerned with who, or how many, might follow. If you truly desire to be a leader, and may I encourage you to do so, then you will have to accept the discipline of learning how to lead. Discipline is a hard act to follow as a rebel.

But I sense in your post a quality that you will learn to harness and develop as time progresses. Do not be afraid to learn. And you are learning now from the reactions you trigger in others. Put such experience to use - learn how to learn.

Look to the East - and may your God go with you.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1) Since you're 13, I'm going to guess that most of the people around you are also around that age. Such treatment is to be expected from immature people. There are of course, the other folks who are giving you the treatment, which can be addressed in my next point.

2) People tend to disapprove of other people who aren't like them. No group of people is immune to this. Every group of people has a another group of people that it's safe to hate on. Now, you're putting yourself out there. You're dressing and acting in ways that will draw negative attention. Now that you know this, it begs the question as to why you are doing this. I'm not saying it's wrong to wear a symbol of your faith, but consider this: Wearing that to church would be the same as wearing a Michael Savage shirt at an Obama rally. You're gonna catch some flak for that and in a way, you asked for it. If you're going to be respectful and go to church, then leave the theatrical pagan stuff at home.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My goal here is to share with you reasons why you should believe. I have two stories that are fairly recent that show God speaking directly to me in an audiable way. Why? To help you see a need for Jesus.

The first story:

I was seeking God in prayer for scientific answers and cures for illnesses. At the same time I thought seeing I am seeking God for science issues why not ask a fun one. I asked if God would show me how to create a dinosour. Instantly a term entered my mind "I bood". I had no idea what the word ment so I looked it up on the internet. Bood I found was a term used by a small asian tribe to say "I gently and respectfully ask you respect my decision to say no". So instantly I knew God was telling me no in a gentle way.

The second story:

One morning I got up and walked into the hall and heard a voice say "How would you like to be stabbed and attacked in the valley". The valley was the rough end of town a place where drugs were common and violence occurs frequently. I would go there to try to help the homeless, but felt afraid when I heard that, I wondered if I would be attacked. But I made up my mind to go down there regardless of that. That day I walked upto a man in the park and just asked him out to church. He said "I am an athiest", I just said "fine", but hoped for a way to share God with him. Then he opened up his shirt and showed me scars from where he had been attacked and stabed in the valley. He told me how he had been knifed by a crazy man in the valley. It was for this reason he said he did not believe in God any more. Latter I told him the story of how God had spoken to me in the morning and told me I would meet him. A week or so latter he became a christian at a church service.

Be careful to mantain a relationship with Jesus or your life will end in regret.

Dan 5:17 Then Daniel answered and said before the king, Let thy gifts be to thyself, and give thy rewards to another; nevertheless I will read the writing unto the king, and make known to him the interpretation.
You might know this story from daniel, where a hand wrote on the wall charges against the king saying he had been weighed and found wanting. That the king had ignored all that his father had upheld, ignoring his respect for God. Try to be a good girl and respect what your parents are wanting is for your best.
Dan 5:22 And thou his son, O Belshazzar, hast not humbled thy heart, though thou knewest all this,
Dan 5:23 but hast lifted up thyself against the Lord of heaven;

Upvote 0

JoshButler

Jul 7, 2008
✟15,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That year at Tekkoshocon I painted my skin red and went around as Satan's Daughter, just for the effect.

That's Satan worship, and it's not a joke.

MindofChrist2008 is right. You have no idea what you're messing around with, and God will let you mess around with it if you really choose that path, but you do NOT want what that path brings in the end.

Stay away from lies and deceits, artifices and anything insincere or vain. Don't walk in darkness. Read the book of John and pay special attention to the words light and darkness. The Bible has authority, and Jesus Christ is the only source of good in this world. Stop and think about what you're doing from a scriptural perspective!

Reactions: GreenMunchkin
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm probably going to get bomb-boarded, but I'm willing to take that chance. You see, like most of you, I was born and raised a Christian. I was baptized, I had my First Holy Communion, and I went to Sunday School for a few years. But the whole thing is, I don't believe that anymore. Most people told me that it was just that teenage confusion thing, but the point is, I just don't believe in God anymore. For the longest time, when I told people I don't believe in God but I was born and raised a Christian, they'd ask me: "Where are you going then, Heaven or Hell?" I would always just laugh and say, "Hell is too bad for me but Heaven is no home. I'll just dance in Limbo." And then they kind of backed away xD The whole point is that I converted to the Celtic Neo-pagan movement, mainly because I liked the idea of helping to shape a religion; I'm a leader, not a follower; a writer, not a reader.

So, can you express the reasons why you don't believe in the Christian God? Do you not believe in any sort of deity? Are you a deist, agnostic, what? If you are saying that you aren't a theist, then why are you even a Celtic neo-pagan? What do they (being Celtic neo-pagans) believe that you like or get out of it that you didn't before? It sounds like you are saying that you enjoy being in charge and control and you feel that paganism gives you enough autonomy to do as you please? It makes you feel more unique and creative? Also, while you might know quite a bit about Christianity and Paganism, I'm guessing that perhaps you're coming off to them as if you do know it all, and they see you as really confused, misinformed, and possibly naive in certain areas because of this. Your age doesn't help your case.

And at that I feel more able to accept others and myself and help them be at peace with themselves by listening and offering advice over a couple gallons of ice-cream. You, of all people, have to tell me I'm right when I say bullying me is wrong. Although it isn't popular in the neo-pagan movement, I proudly wear a pentagram everywhere I go, and am often interrogated because of it (so called believers don't know that the inverted pentagram is supposed to be evil and that the upright one was, although briefly, used to represent Christ). I get called names like 'devil-spawn' 'demoness-in-waiting' and once got called 'Satan's Daughter'... That year at Tekkoshocon I painted my skin red and went around as Satan's Daughter, just for the effect. I know I shouldn't care much, but I'm still only 13 years old, and the comments are coming from peers, parents of peers, people at the church (I still go with my family and respect them while they pray, as they do for me) -- I mean, it isn't right if some 80 year old lady flips you off! which she did... ;-;.

So, you are totally in favor of sporting religiously inspired fashion that is viewed as a bit extreme by more mainstream individuals (be they Christian or Pagan)? It hurts your feelings when the more mainstream individuals are a bit uncomfortable and make negative comments, which is understandable, but shouldn't be a complete shock. People can be mean and you want to learn to learn to love all people, which is comendable. I posit that it is sometimes harder to love the more mean mainstream people, but don't let that elude you. Perhaps you also not-so-secretly get a thrill from shocking people with your sense of fashion?

-end rant-

I hate to say this, but you can't control other people. You can only control yourself and how you respond to people. I know- I wish I could get people to do what I want them to as well. However, as I touched on earlier, you are reveling in things that make a lot of people (apparently even other pagans) uncomfortable, and then you get upset when they say things to you (and you're right that being mean to you to get you to conform to their standards/beliefs isn't acceptable). I suspect a lot of what is being said is directly related to your supposed extreme sense of religious inspired fashion, and is thus being placed into the realm of 'rebellious phase' by the adults in your life. Perhaps one day you'll also understand when you become a stodgy adult who feels they've kind or sort of been there back in the day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrederickM

Servant of God
Jul 19, 2008
✟7,974.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Yes it is, people sometimes try and comfort themselves with the idea of being a good person and not believing (because they are lazy) and going to heaven (because they fear hell).

I would first say, that person is going down the wrong path, for having faith will bring YOU joy. Faith is about acknowledging God's love, and take things slowly, no one tells you to get baptised on day 1 and go to church every Sunday.
Faith is not a burden, but it is a gift of salvation from God. When you have acknowledged this, you will start appreciating it.
Do not become over concerned with the after life, for a faith based on fear of hell or lust for heaven is a faith worse than absolute rejection.

Upvote 0
S

solarwave

Im not sure exactly what the poll means, but being good will never get you to heaven.
Can I ask, what is the reason for following your new religion? If one of them is that you like being a leader (I can see the attraction of that too) fair enough, but if you are leading something that is wrong, what is the point? Its better to follow and then lead something that brings you to know the God of the universe, then lead something for the fun of it. Yes it is wrong that people say bad things about you, in the end its your choice. Again, why do u believe what you do?

Upvote 0

Lion-Of-Zion

Isaiah 54:17
Jul 15, 2008
✟7,788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
um.. what are you leading? a group of friends, who all follow the wills of a list of Gods and Goddesseseseseseses that goes on and on and on. What is the real difference between doing deeds to be a good Pagan and being a good Christian? What is it that is so original or creative? Either way you are serving and following.
i see there is tons of opinions and views here, so ill just post my question. it is not my place to judge others. That is for Gods wisdom.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.