• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

You can't argue with DNA

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by CACTUSJACKmankin, Mar 2, 2009.

1. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, I'll admit, this may surprise you, but I'm not qualified to agree with ERVs like [by the sheerest of Plutonian coincidences] everyone else here is.

They just may attach to the same place everytime (like you guys would know [rolls eyes]), but that, to me, does not mean Genesis 1 is wrong.

2. BananaSlug

BananaSlug Life is an experiment, experience it!

+99
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    If you do not believe in using DNA to find relatedness between different species then you should be against using DNA to find paternity. It's the exact same concept.

3. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

+179
    Buddhist
    Private
    Yes, and when they want to use DNA evidence to prove you DIDNT commit the capital crime, you must go to your death as a DNA denialist. To do otherwise would invalidate Christianity.

4. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Like I always say, I'll agree with science only insofar as it doesn't disagree with the Bible --- when it does --- then it has to go.

If you say these endomorphic regional virii (?) attach themselves to my DNA w/o my permission --- who am I to disagree?

But if you say that shows I came from Magilla Gorilla, I disagree.

5. sfs

sfs Senior Member

+5,107
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Me? No, I don't want you to abandon a literal interpretation of Genesis. I really don't care what you do or what you think. I do wish you wouldn't insist on inserting your literal interpretation of Genesis into every thread in this forum, whether it's relevant or not, but I have no expectation that my wish will be granted.

I call the actual evidence -- you know, the information you refuse to look at -- powerful evidence. The imaginary stuff you've made up so you can mock it, no that's not powerful evidence of anything.

6. fantascey

fantascey Well-Known Member

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    i don't know what you guys are talking about... want to explain please??

7. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Give me a break --- do you honestly believe 99% of these "scientists" here who just sit and nod their heads in agreement about these ethno-retro virii (or whatever you call them) could even spot one attached to DNA without an arrow pointing to it?

Does it bother you that they will automatically agree (by faith, I might add), as long as it disproves Genesis 1?

8. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Oh, please --- I beg you --- don't get them started.

9. Skaloop

Skaloop Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion

+824
    Atheist
    Married
    CA-NDP
    Does it bother you that you will automatically disagree (by faith, I might add) as long as it disproves Genesis 1?

10. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

+179
    Buddhist
    Private
    Its at the 5th grade level. You sure you want to jump in?

11. fantascey

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    ... surely, i want to know what you guys are talking about... and the fifth grade level does not sound too bad... ive already graduated high school... :D

12. fantascey

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    i like taking part in scientific debates. it works my brain....

13. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    That's my cue to leave then --- my brain doesn't function very well on science --- :)

(I tripped over a science book when I was a kid, and fell down three flights of stairs --- I've hated science ever since.)

:D

14. fantascey

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    !! figures !! no one ever wants to talk to me about anything!! :( maybe its my picture... kay, new thread...

15. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Seeker for life, probably

+269
    Seeker
    Single
    So, back to ERVs. Why did God include them in your genome?

16. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Seeker for life, probably

+269
    Seeker
    Single
    There is a good, concise explanation a page back, under the SPOILER tag.

Edit: it's on page 4.

17. Cabal

Cabal Well-Known Member

+452
    Atheist
    Engaged
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Aah, so that's why :p

18. BananaSlug

+99
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    You forgot to add "my interpretation" between "with" and "the."

Ok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    H-Human C-Chimpazee G-Gorilla O-Orangutan

[​IMG]
    Well, nobody came from Magilla Gorilla, he's a cartoon character! Besides, chimpanzees are more closely related to humans than they are gorillas.

[​IMG]
    Three molecular phylogenies of humans and
    the African great apes. (a) A phylogeny based on
    mitochondrial DNA. (b) A phylogeny based on a Y-linked
    gene. (c) A phylogeny based on autosomal genes

All three trees are remarkably similar!

The DNA of an individual is almost exactly the same in each and every somatic (non reproductive) cell. Sexual reproduction brings the DNA of both parents together randomly to create a unique combination of genetic material in a new cell, so the genetic material of an individual is derived from the genetic material of both their parents in roughly equal amounts. This genetic material is known as the nuclear genome of the individual, because it is found in the nucleus.

Comparing the DNA sequence of an individual to that of another individual can show if one of them was derived from the other or not. Specific sequences are usually looked at to see if they were copied verbatim from one of the individual's genome to the other. If that was the case, then this proves that the genetic material of one individual could have been derived from that of the other (see above figure).

Besides the nuclear DNA in the nucleus, the mitochondria in the cells also have their own genetic material termed the mitochondrial genome. Mitochondrial DNA comes only from the mother, without any shuffling. Proving a relationship based on comparison of the mitochondrial genome is much easier than that based on the nuclear genome (see above figure). However, testing the mitochondrial genome can only prove if two individuals are related by common descent through maternal lines only from a common ancestor and is thus of limited value (for instance, it could not be used to test for paternity).

In testing the paternity of a male child, comparison of the Y chromosome can be used since it is passed directly from father to son (compare to above figure).

It seems that the methods used for parental DNA testing are the same methods for finding genetic relatedness among species! Veeeery eenteresting.

19. fantascey

+142
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    wow. you expect me to read all that mumbo jumbo??

20. BananaSlug

+99
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Didn't you just say you liked working out your brain?