Hagios17

Jesus is awesome
Mar 24, 2006
✟13,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm currently reading a well authored book by what, probably, used to be a highly regarded guru in parts of india. Actually I am pretty sure he was, cause his father carried a high established name, and was considered and treated as a god, believed to have exited the circle of reincarnation through is pious dedication and devotion to the religion of Hinduism.

But what I found so interesting, was the way this Brahmin spoke about Yoga. He was after all a yogi, and knew what he was talking about. In his dialogue, Yoga is clearly seen to be a hostile practice. He addresses Yoga in it's true light, after all yoga is of hinduism. And the bottom line is that Yoga is a demonic practice. And we as christians will do well to stay clear of such things, cause they are damaging to the mind. It is a mind altering and soul bending practice that will associate you with very hostile and scary entities.

I and my father were foolish enough to have gotten involved in forms of meditation. Yet, praise be to the Lord, for we have been delivered of these demonic meditations!:clap: Now the only meditation he and I practice is a meditation of filling our minds with the lovely beautiful word of God.:amen:

Reactions: TwinCrier

Hagios17

Jesus is awesome
Mar 24, 2006
✟13,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I must note that contemplative prayer is something practiced in Hinduism and other pagan religions. Stay well away from contemplative prayer. There are movements that like to promote contemplative prayer, teaching us christians that we must repeat word and phrases, like a sort of mantra, in one's devotion of prayer, like "love" or "you are my saviour", etc. along with breathe exercises, which is common to Yoga, etc. Stay clear of the idea that mantra chanting and breathe exercises are christian. They aren't.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you may be going overboard here. I fully agree with you that Hinduism is paganism, and ought not to be practiced by anyone. But most modern forms of yoga include no religious practices at all. By all means do not practice Hinduism, but there's nothing wrong with breathing practices.

Of course, for completely unrelated reasons, I don't waste my time with yoga or creative breathing.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a couple of yoga positions (cobra & child's pose & upward facing dog) that help my lower back. They're are lots of neat positions that help limber and stretch this old body. I've usually got something playing on stereo, like Johnny Cash or somethin' when I exercise like that...Cash is good exercise music ya know...

Ain't in to those chakras & mantras though...no songs about trains or mama or blues, don't know why anyone would bother with OHM...;)

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are a couple of yoga positions (cobra & child's pose & upward facing dog) that help my lower back. They're are lots of neat positions that help limber and stretch this old body. I've usually got something playing on stereo, like Johnny Cash or somethin' when I exercise like that...Cash is good exercise music ya know...

Ain't in to those chakras & mantras though...no songs about trains or mama or blues, don't know why anyone would bother with OHM...;)

AUM is the Hindu "sacred syllable," in case you're wondering. Now that would be an act of idolatry to the Christian. But hey, if the positions help your back, they can't be all that bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AUM is the Hindu "sacred syllable," in case you're wondering. Now that would be an act of idolatry to the Christian. But hey, if the positions help your back, they can't be all that bad.

Well, just remember in case you ever throw out your back picking up a box of beakers...:p

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, just remember in case you ever throw out your back picking up a box of beakers...:p

Oh don't worry; you're thinking about chemists. I'd most likely get that carpel...somethingoranother while spending hours programming an apparatus.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh don't worry; you're thinking about chemists. I'd most likely get that carpel...somethingoranother while spending hours programming an apparatus.

:doh: Found the most mental science with the least physical exertion ya could find, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i heard yoga can make you super flexible too. i think if we just see that as an exercise that help us stay healthy there is nothing wrong with it.

Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt that yoga really does that. I've tried it before, with no effect (then again, I don't have any health problems, so maybe that's why it didn't do anything). I don't think that there's anything "demonic" or evil about yoga. But I do think that it's probably a fad.

On the other hand, Menno seems to have a testimonial to its efficacy. So maybe I'm wrong, here.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess it depends on the teacher, the exercises, and to some extent on the student.

Breathing exercises probably wouldn't do anything for anyone that is laid-back, but they probably would help stressed-out people (oxygen deprevation can actually be useful). Stretches can also helpful, particularly if you do lots of physical stuff. Meditation, if done properly, is supposed to increase alpha waves (reducing stress), but some people get the same effect to praying or running.

Upvote 0

Hagios17

Jesus is awesome
Mar 24, 2006
✟13,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It doesn't matter what aspect of Yoga you are practicing. Yoga is yoga.

Now there are other ways of strengthening your body. You dont need to practice of buddhist hindu meditation brother:)

Upvote 0

Hagios17

Jesus is awesome
Mar 24, 2006
✟13,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Dont be fooled. Yoga comes from yogis prominently involved in demonic activity.

When I began to study about the arts I was getting involved in, and many others, I learnt something quite interesting... Apparently the positioning aspect of these occult practices are also occult themselves, as they are used to attract certain entities/forces/ki/chi/magic, etc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.