Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've skimmed through this thread and haven't noticed anyone saying anything about this so I'll throw it out on the table.

וימן יהוה דג גדול לבלע את־יונה ויהי יונה במעי הדג שלשה ימים ושלשה לילות׃

For those who don't read Hebrew, The blue letters are the word for the number 'three'.

The red is the word for days (this is plural, yamim, not yom which is the singular, day)

The Green is the word for night, again, plural.

Also in the same book of Jonah we read:
This time Jonah obeyed the LORD's command and went to Nineveh, a
city so large that it took three days to see it all. ..

Notice it does not say here 'three days and three nights'.

Yeshua used this same sequence when describing the time after his death.

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly;
so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The Greek:
ὥσπερ γὰρ ἦν Ἰωνᾶς ἐν τῇ κοιλίᾳ τοῦ κήτους τρεῖς ἡμέρας καὶ τρεῖς νύκτας, οὕτως ἔσται ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ τῆς γῆς τρεῖς ἡμέρας καὶ τρεῖς νύκτας.

It is obvious that in both the Hebrew and Greek it is specifying three days (36hrs) and three nights (36hrs)

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I've skimmed through this thread and haven't noticed anyone saying anything about this so I'll throw it out on the table.

וימן יהוה דג גדול לבלע את־יונה ויהי יונה במעי הדג שלשה ימים ושלשה לילות׃

For those who don't read Hebrew, The blue letters are the word for the number 'three'.

The red is the word for days (this is plural, yamim, not yom which is the singular, day)

The Green is the word for night, again, plural.

Also in the same book of Jonah we read:
This time Jonah obeyed the LORD's command and went to Nineveh, a
city so large that it took three days to see it all. ..

Notice it does not say here 'three days and three nights'.

Yeshua used this same sequence when describing the time after his death.

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly;
so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The Greek:
ὥσπερ γὰρ ἦν Ἰωνᾶς ἐν τῇ κοιλίᾳ τοῦ κήτους τρεῖς ἡμέρας καὶ τρεῖς νύκτας, οὕτως ἔσται ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ τῆς γῆς τρεῖς ἡμέρας καὶ τρεῖς νύκτας.

It is obvious that in both the Hebrew and Greek it is specifying three days (36hrs) and three nights (36hrs)
This is powerful evidence as it would give more credibility to what I'm saying and the hours in 1 Enoch. The equinox is on the 31st Day of the 12th Month which would give us exactly 12 Hours for day and night. By the time we reach the 14th of the first month the day would've lasted +12 Hours once you reckon the odd minutes and seconds: therefore Christ's afternoon burial on Tuesday the 14th would've yielded ~3 hours for the last portion of daylight; Wednesday would bring us to ~14-15 hours; Thursday to ~26-27; and Friday morning would be 36 hours from His burial. Again this would be after working out the odd minutes and seconds from the time of His burial to the morning of His resurrection on the 6th Day.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The moon is not soley for anything: it states that both of the lights are for signs seasons, days, and years. The moon simply follows the sun and falls short ten days each year as it is the lesser light; and it fulfills the appointed times the same way the sun does: it just does not occur the way lunar observers wish it to occur.
I never said the moon was solely for anything. Your reply here shows the moon does not have a part in determining the year. The sun does all the leading and the worthless moon just follows behind and falling short.

Also, again you avoided answering my other two questions and failed to answer satisfactorily question #3.

1) What "moedim" is mentioned in Scripture that the sun is for?
2) How is the moon for days?
3) How is the moon "for years"?

Why don't you just write your answers under each of my questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
<staff edit>
If the Passover falls on the 14th Day of the 1st Month on the 3rd Day of the week then that is the 14th Day of the sun and moon (plus whatever phase it is for the moon in that Shemitah).
"IF" is the key word. You are assuming Passover falls on the 3rd day of the week every year.

When you say it is the "14th day of the moon", does that mean the first day of the year is a New Moon? Please elaborate on this.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is powerful evidence as it would give more credibility to what I'm saying and the hours in 1 Enoch. The equinox is on the 31st Day of the 12th Month which would give us exactly 12 Hours for day and night. By the time we reach the 14th of the first month the day would've lasted +12 Hours once you reckon the odd minutes and seconds: therefore Christ's afternoon burial on Tuesday the 14th would've yielded ~3 hours for the last portion of daylight; Wednesday would bring us to ~14-15 hours; Thursday to ~26-27; and Friday morning would be 36 hours from His burial. Again this would be after working out the odd minutes and seconds from the time of His burial to the morning of His resurrection on the 6th Day.
But you are only coming up with 36 hours, not 72.

From what I've read at that time in Jerusalem they counted the day to be 12 hours no matter what time of year it was. The daylight was divided by twelve as well as the night. That is why they used the figure of speech such as ' it was the third hour'. Their hours were not what we have modernly.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The hour was first established in antiquity as a seasonally variable measure of  1⁄12 of the night or daytime.

A bit more on this from wiki

Sunrise marked the beginning of the first hour, the middle of the day was at the end of the sixth hour and sunset at the end of the twelfth hour. This meant that the duration of hours varied with the season. In the Northern hemisphere, particularly in the more northerly latitudes, summer daytime hours were longer than winter daytime hours, each being one twelfth of the time between sunrise and sunset. These variable-length hours were variously known as temporal, unequal, or seasonal hours and were in use until the appearance of the mechanical clock, which furthered the adoption of equal length hours.[32]

This is also the system used in Jewish law and frequently called "Talmudic hour" (Sha'a Zemanit) in a variety of texts. The talmudic hour is one twelfth of time elapsed from sunrise to sunset, day hours therefore being longer than night hours in the summer; in winter they reverse.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The hour was first established in antiquity as a seasonally variable measure of  1⁄12 of the night or daytime.

A bit more on this from wiki

Sunrise marked the beginning of the first hour, the middle of the day was at the end of the sixth hour and sunset at the end of the twelfth hour. This meant that the duration of hours varied with the season. In the Northern hemisphere, particularly in the more northerly latitudes, summer daytime hours were longer than winter daytime hours, each being one twelfth of the time between sunrise and sunset. These variable-length hours were variously known as temporal, unequal, or seasonal hours and were in use until the appearance of the mechanical clock, which furthered the adoption of equal length hours.[32]

This is also the system used in Jewish law and frequently called "Talmudic hour" (Sha'a Zemanit) in a variety of texts. The talmudic hour is one twelfth of time elapsed from sunrise to sunset, day hours therefore being longer than night hours in the summer; in winter they reverse.
And this is the problem with man made time: it determines it's own time independent of the natural time already set. Still we can see from Genesis that 1 Day = Evening and Morning passing. The text from Wikipedia assumes the earth is spherical: though the Bible and the ancients understood the earth as a circular plane with a dome covering the earth. Nature teaches us that all objects conform to the shape of the object on which they are situated. And from my air travels and my sisters' air travels: we have not witnessed the things on the earth conforming to any supposed spherical shape. If anything it would make more sense for daylight length to be determined by the distance of the sun from the earth.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think though that the specific use of 'three days and three nights' tells us that it was a full 24 hours times 3.

I don't mind rehashing this subject as we have on this forum so many times but I will tell you that I am a proponent of the resurrection taking place a few hours before sunset on Shabbat.

My stance on this comes from the wording where it tells us that the women went to the tomb after Shabbat, and 'at the dawning of the first day of the week. That would be sundown on 'Saturday night'. What we now call Havdallah time.

He was already gone at that time. And if he was declared dead at the around 3 in the afternoon and the timing of going to Pilate to allow him to be taken down and for Joseph to get the body and bring him to the tomb, it would be sundown around 6 so in that small space of time we have to figure 72 hours from that would be somewhere between 3 and 6 o'clock on Shabbat that he arose.

There is no witness to his arising as it was Shabbat and they all were in their homes as that is what was required. We only have recorded testimony of an empty grave at around 6-7pm that night which would technically be the dawning of the first day of the week.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,720.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay but, this still doesn't explain it being the any particular day of the Sabbath week. And it doesn't disprove its plural use in the Gospels which we've been discussing.
It really does not matter. There are and always have been 7 days in a week. Holy Sabbaths do NOT change the weekly cycle. If a Holy Sabbath occurs during any day but on the eve of the 6th day there are 2 Sabbaths. It is the WEEKLY Sabbath that drive WHEN the first day of the week occurs and the fact that a special Sabbath occurs in no way changes that fact

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is powerful evidence as it would give more credibility to what I'm saying and the hours in 1 Enoch. The equinox is on the 31st Day of the 12th Month which would give us exactly 12 Hours for day and night.
How does the precession of the equinoxes affect the solar calendar?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yes that would only be true if day was not italicized and belonged in the original text. I made it clear on my blog entry concerning this same subject that according to Exodus 16:22-27 Moses makes it clear that the day begins in the morning. Genesis 1:1 shows that God made time (in the beginning), space (heaven), and matter (earth) in the light before introducing the waters and the darkness and calling the light (v. 2). As for the phrase first day of the week it is clear from the context which you used that the women came after the Sabbath of the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread occured, not our weekly Shabbat. Luke 24:1-24 makes it crystal clear that Jesus had met with the disciples; the apostles heard from the women that Jesus' tomb was empty; and the women had gone to the tomb and seen the angels all on the third day.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
But you are only coming up with 36 hours, not 72.

From what I've read at that time in Jerusalem they counted the day to be 12 hours no matter what time of year it was. The daylight was divided by twelve as well as the night. That is why they used the figure of speech such as ' it was the third hour'. Their hours were not what we have modernly.
Yes I understand this as well. I only said 36 hours because I thought we had the understanding that the hours of the night would have been included as well since you made the point with Jonah about the city of Ninevah taking three days to travel.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
How does the precession of the equinoxes affect the solar calendar?
The precision of the equinox is important for two reasons:

1) Time.
2) Place.

Without knowing when the sun resets its position we will not truly know when the year begins: for according to Enoch the beginning of the year is always the day after the vernal equinox. Of course who should care? Well if the vernal equinox always happens to be on the 3rd Day of the Week which is one day before the luminaries were created then it matters very much as it would give complete credibility to the Bible...yet again...and not to mention 1 Enoch and Jubilees.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
<staff edit>explain HOW the moon is for years. In what way does it operate to determine the year?

Why didn't Yeshua or any of the Apostles quote from 1 Enoch or Jubilees? Why did Yeshua keep the feasts with the Jews throughout his entire life rather than the DSS community? Why does the NT refer to days according to the Jewish reckoning if that reckoning does not agree with your solar calendar? For example, in Acts 2, the Holy Spirit is poured out on Shavuot which is translated "Pentecost" or the 50th day. Was Luke lying or wrong to call it that when it really wasn't because they were so deceived as to follow a calendar where the Feasts are counted by the moon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The precision of the equinox is important for two reasons:

1) Time.
2) Place.

Without knowing when the sun resets its position we will not truly know when the year begins: for according to Enoch the beginning of the year is always the day after the vernal equinox. Of course who should care? Well if the vernal equinox always happens to be on the 3rd Day of the Week which is one day before the luminaries were created then it matters very much as it would give complete credibility to the Bible...yet again...and not to mention 1 Enoch and Jubilees.
"The "precision" of the equinox? I said "precession". Do you know what that is? Look it up and then tell me how that relates to the solar calendar.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It really does not matter. There are and always have been 7 days in a week. Holy Sabbaths do NOT change the weekly cycle. If a Holy Sabbath occurs during any day but on the eve of the 6th day there are 2 Sabbaths. It is the WEEKLY Sabbath that drive WHEN the first day of the week occurs and the fact that a special Sabbath occurs in no way changes that fact
Well Rob, that depends, some nations did not go by the Bibles ideal of a week based on creation, for instance the occupiers of Israel at that time used a 10 day week. :)

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
MOD HAT

Posts have been removed or edited for flaming/goading/mocking/off topic discussion of each other/Antisemitism.

Please address others civilly, and without calling anyone names or there will be warnings given next time.

Do not address Jews by any derogatory term. They are God's beloved people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Well Rob, that depends, some nations did not go by the Bibles ideal of a week based on creation, for instance the occupiers of Israel at that time used a 10 day week. :)
Interesting...do you have any links to this? I know we have Google but, I guess for formalities I'd ask.

Upvote 0