Yes, welfare is going to bankrupt the US Government

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
This link provides fairly good info. A little old (pre-Obama) but enough to get the point across

Think by Numbers » Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs
The graphic in your original post insinuates that corporate welfare spending is 16 times what's spent on the military.
That figure is completely ridiculous. It's so extreme that I wouldn't be surprised if it was thought up by some right wing guerilla activist just to make left wingers look stupid.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are aware that the average TANF grant nationwide is about 600 dollars a month, right? Nobody's getting rich off that. Also, are you aware that there is a limit (60 months I think) that you can collect cash benefits? SNAP, WIC and housing assistance goes longer. However, SNAP, WIC and housing assistance is not going to put money in your pocket.

Its typical, the truth is that TANF and SNAP is a small part of the federal budget. Corporations get 50% MORE. Corporations DO NOT NEED WELFARE of any sort from the government. Why should we, the taxpayers, subisidize their profits???

Now...look at the big picture....Corporations (profit making entities) get government subsidies, they get tax breaks because they allegedly create jobs. Why should your and my tax dollars go towards that?

The "crack addict" on welfare is a stereotype.

Answer the bigger question.

We should take away the tax breaks for the corporations. It should be a combination of cutting spending and taking in more revenue. Think how much more money we would be bringing in to pay off the debt if we would take away all the subsidies and tax breaks for the large corporations. Remember how the CEO's of the car makers came to Washington to beg for money in their private jets? Obviously, if they can afford to pay their operating officers millions (if not billions) of dollars and buy private jets (because heaven forbid that people should have to fly the commercial flights), obviously they aren't hurting for money and need subsidies. Take away the tax breaks. I would much rather my tax money go to those who need it and not to the wealthy who don't need the money. If corporations are hurting for money, then cut the obscene salaries and perks that their executives and operating officers are making!

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I realize that I'm not a "typical" Christian homeschooling mom, I've encouraged my kids to be aware of the political climate and encouraged them to come to their own conclusions. The day each child turned 18, we took them to register to vote...

LOL sounds like you have a tribe indeed. That is a blessing, though.

I know that I will not be voting for a single incumbent next year. If I have to cross party lines to do it, I will hold my nose and do it. I'm over this rubbish. I am convinced that much of it is thinly veiled bigotry. As a minority, I can live without it. I thought that we, as a people, had moved past that. Guess I was wrong.

Write your name in the ballot. That way, you don't have to feel guilty for voting for the "lesser of two evils," or "not voting at all." The times I was of age to vote I had to abstain from voting (or write my name in the ballot) because the candidates were so ridulous. I am a minority too, but I know that a [half] Black man that comes out of nowhere, who is suddenly a front-runner for president may be trouble. The States have existed 230 years without that happening. I am also a scrutinizer of popular culture, and I grow weary of a [half] black president - seeing as most disaster movies have a "black" president when the end of the world as we know it occurs (Deep Impact, Fifth Element, 2012, etc.)

Oh, and be careful homeschooling your children. Read the 1900+ page AHA bill; there are ordinances specifically targeted against home schooled children. Make sure you keep up with, for example, their Physical Education...lets your children be taken from you by reason of child endangerment/neglect.

Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't have to worry about "physical education"...right now I have a dancer, a swimmer, a soccer player and an insane skateboarder. My baby is almost 11...his oldest sister is 31. Also, there is no requirement for PE for homeschoolers in AZ.

I've released 8 voters on the country and now 10 drivers.

I'm waiting for Sylvia Maria Rodriquez-Gonzalez to be elected president. Carolina Isabella Maria Morell Segrera won't be running. She's too inclined to just cuss 'em all out and banish them to antartica if they don't cooperate. She'd get confused and start thinking that the congresscritters were her children and would start kicking their butts if they ticked her off too badly. Yeah...me running for office is NOT a great idea.

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm waiting for Sylvia Maria Rodriquez-Gonzalez to be elected president. Carolina Isabella Maria Morell Segrera won't be running. She's too inclined to just cuss 'em all out and banish them to antartica if they don't cooperate. She'd get confused and start thinking that the congresscritters were her children and would start kicking their butts if they ticked her off too badly. Yeah...me running for office is NOT a great idea.

Maybe that is what the States needs...

:confused:

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You will never arrive at zero welfare recipients. There will always be people who fall on hard times.

However, can we get to the substantive question in my OP? Why do people fuss about 46 dollars per year for TANF and SNAP and don't say a word about the 4000.00 that goes to profit making corporations?

I'm assuming these are mostly tax expenditures?

Employees benefit from some of these, like the deduction for employer-provided health insurance. Employees in certain industries, like agriculture and energy sector businesses, probably benefit more directly in terms of higher wages. The stockholders benefit through higher dividends or stock price appreciation. Tax expenditures have constituents, and most of them are better-off and better-connected (and therefore better-heard by politicians) than some poor single mother wearing out her TANF benefits.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm assuming these are mostly tax expenditures?

Employees benefit from some of these, like the deduction for employer-provided health insurance. Employees in certain industries, like agriculture and energy sector businesses, probably benefit more directly in terms of higher wages. The stockholders benefit through higher dividends or stock price appreciation. Tax expenditures have constituents, and most of them are better-off and better-connected (and therefore better-heard by politicians) than some poor single mother wearing out her TANF benefits.

The owners and upper management are the ones that profit, quite literally. They take tax money and rake in profits, hundreds of millions in some of the more conservative companies, other range well into the billions, yet their hands come out for subsidies. Their employees are part of the people paying them for their own jobs while their wages stagnate. It's pretty appalling actually.

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The owners and upper management are the ones that profit, quite literally. They take tax money and rake in profits, hundreds of millions in some of the more conservative companies, other range well into the billions, yet their hands come out for subsidies. Their employees are part of the people paying them for their own jobs while their wages stagnate. It's pretty appalling actually.

U mad bro?

lol JK. I agree with you. It is appalling. What is even more appalling is Americans willingly giving out $1.3T in bail out money for these insidious companies, so that they could continue to do the same junk. I am so P.O.ed at how complacent the world public is - paralyzed with fear, ignorance, and complacency.

Upvote 0