• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Yelling

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I hate when people yell, especially when it's unnecessary. (e.g. When someone yells from room to room). My mother does it A LOT, and it drives me NUTS. It immediately gives me so much anxiety, and makes me irritable. How do you cope with this?

Am I overreacting?

God bless

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hate when people yell, especially when it's unnecessary. (e.g. When someone yells from room to room). My mother does it A LOT, and it drives me NUTS. It immediately gives me so much anxiety, and makes me irritable. How do you cope with this?

Am I overreacting?

God bless
If you mother is not willing to change there is not a lot you can do.
What I would suggest, in an attempt to help her change this habit, would be to go to the dor of what ever room she is in and say something sarcastic like, Did you scream, are you in need of help? " In the following conversation repeat, she has only to speak to you and you will reply, but screaming and shouting stresses you out, please just speak normally.

It might work, you won't know till you try.

Upvote 0

subtlecollision

Feb 8, 2020
Wisconsin
✟31,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You're not overreacting at all. I also hate yelling or even when people raise their tone in a mean/aggressive way. That's because it literally puts your body into danger/crisis mode.

I would explain to your mom how it affects you and how it only makes matters worse. When someone yells at you, your body goes into danger mode and it makes it harder to think. So, if she is yelling at you to do something, that makes it less likely that you will actually do what she wants you to.

My dad was very snappy and short with us growing up. If my husband raises his voice, I literally will run to the bed and under the covers. That kind of stuff stays with you for a while. My husband understands now how it affects me and how it isn't effective anyway, so he has gotten better at not using a tone with me.

I pray that your mom would be understanding in this situation.

Upvote 0