A King's Kids Kidd a rounder
Aug 11, 2006
USA
✟15,293.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
YEC pros: It allows those Christians who get off on feeling persecuted to kvetch about how oppressed they are despite the fact that they live in a country that's ~80% Christian.

Hold the phone! "Getting off" on feeling persecuted????

I mean, even when I was a child attending private school, with my sister, and learning YEC and not much about evolution.... I STILL never "got off" on being persecuted.

You know something, I was not allowed to listen to rock n roll music either. When I went to public school, I certainly was not "getting off" on follow my faith.

YEC cons: It is contradicted by all available evidence and makes Christianity look bad.

There's a statement that makes me wanna listen to you.

Next please?

Upvote 0

DvAna

A King's Kids Kidd a rounder
Aug 11, 2006
USA
✟15,293.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
YEC: =Inconsistant

What is inconsistant about simply believing in a miracle?

I mean..... just because we don't always see eye to eye, does not mean miracles are scientificly impossible.

In a purely scientific sense, YEC is possible if it is viewed as a scientificlly unverifiable miracle. No?

And if then that is the case, what is so wrong with a religious person believing in miracles?

Happy to pour scorn on scientific discoveries that they don't agree with, but happy to take medications to cure ills.

That is a shame. Good thing I am neither of those things.

Condem geological dating techniques, but happy to use PC's using purified silicon.[/what]

I'm sorry, I didn't get that, could you type a little slower for me?

Basically pick and choose what bits of science they like. Science is not a democracy.

And neither are the Scriptures a science book.

If only my sister had the courage to do this herself....

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
YEC: =Inconsistant

Consistancy matter is a lot in science. I see where you are coming from.

Happy to pour scorn on scientific discoveries that they don't agree with, but happy to take medications to cure ills.

There was a time in my life when I would have taken a comment like that personally. Although, it certainly doesn't apply to me. And although I had thought perhaps I was "swaing" away from YEC..... now I'm seeing how it could have been a miracle.

Condem geological dating techniques, but happy to use PC's using purified silicon.

A PC???? you think I'm adicted to my computer???? ^_^

Basically pick and choose what bits of science they like. Science is not a democracy.

Good point.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
What is inconsistant about simply believing in a miracle?

I mean..... just because we don't always see eye to eye, does not mean miracles are scientificly impossible.

In a purely scientific sense, YEC is possible if it is viewed as a scientificlly unverifiable miracle. No?

And if then that is the case, what is so wrong with a religious person believing in miracles?
Simply believing a miracle might be lacking in explanatory value, but it is not inconsistant per se.

The problem with YEC miracles is the usage.... to explain - or rather, explain away - internal inconsistencies.

YEC - and every other form of creationism based on biblical "literalism" pretends to be scientific. In science, processes have to be explainable. YEC miracles are not. Every occurance in YEC history that would need an explanation can be "explained" by a miracle.... that is, not at all.

Take a look at the most famous topic in the YEC debate: the Great Deluge. How did it work? Where did the water come from? Where did it go? How did it shape the landscape the way it did? How did it produce all the fossils? How did it sort them? How did it manage to leave traces of animals and such alone? How did Noah manage to build his ship? How did he manage to gather, feed and bring back all these animals?

There are thousands of YEC theories about these questions.... and many of them contradict themselves (and each other). But, poof, invoke a miracle, and all questions are answered.

And now try to apply this approach to any other field of scientific study. I´m sure you will see why it would not work.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh they've tried, and tried, and tried, and they'll keep trying... and failing miserably.

Who's tried what? Were you talking about YEC??????

Oh my.... some of you do have a low opinion of people who might just so happen to believe in miracles.... or it seems so at times.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Simply believing a miracle might be lacking in explanatory value, but it is not inconsistant per se.

What do you think of people when they tell you they have whitnessed miracles????

Sounds too hard to believe? Too Crazy to concieve???

Or, they want to explain it away and say that Jesus is not Lord and that "god" is this cute little old man sitting on a cloud some where "outhere."

To me, that's crazy. But, this is a crazy insane mixed up world.

The problem with YEC miracles is the usage.... to explain - or rather, explain away - internal inconsistencies.

Let's just say, for a moment, that I was still 100% YEC?

Nothing I posted would convince you anyway, would it? I mean, do you have faith? It takes faith to see the YEC movement.

YEC - and every other form of creationism based on biblical "literalism" pretends to be scientific.

YEC should not have to pretend to be anything, if it is real...... However Evolution seems to be more a concept of "the deciever."

Perhaps Evolution is the real lie.

In science, processes have to be explainable. YEC miracles are not. Every occurance in YEC history that would need an explanation can be "explained" by a miracle.... that is, not at all.

I'm sorry, I'm hard of hearing... what did you say again????

Take a look at the most famous topic in the YEC debate: the Great Deluge. How did it work? Where did the water come from? Where did it go? How did it shape the landscape the way it did? How did it produce all the fossils? How did it sort them? How did it manage to leave traces of animals and such alone? How did Noah manage to build his ship? How did he manage to gather, feed and bring back all these animals?

That sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your suggestion.

However... I could become a scientist and still be able to see a miracle that is right in front of my face.

Doctor's do it all the time! Trust me, I work in the medical feild.

There are thousands of YEC theories about these questions.... and many of them contradict themselves (and each other). But, poof, invoke a miracle, and all questions are answered.

Yes, in this imperfect world, it is harder and harder for skeptics to see His miracels, I hear what you are saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hold the phone! "Getting off" on feeling persecuted????

Yes.

Think about it for a moment. As I mentioned before, the nation is about 80% Christian. Christianity is no longer the exclusive club it used to be, which disappoints some Christians; they'd prefer that they be members of a select group - the "peculiar people" Peter speaks of. And if you're trying to distance yourself from the rest of modern society - a society which, you'll note, is driven by technology - there's virtually nothing better you can do than oppose science.

By rejecting science in favor of a literal reading of their religious texts, YECs are modeling themselves (albeit superficially) after early Christians: they see themselves as bearers of a secret capital-T Truth in a world that's trying to stamp out their beliefs. It's a very romantic notion.

It's also complete bollocks. But that's young-Earth creationism for you.

I mean, even when I was a child attending private school, with my sister, and learning YEC and not much about evolution.... I STILL never "got off" on being persecuted.

Then it should be abundantly obvious I wasn't talking about you.

There's a statement that makes me wanna listen to you.

If you have any specific objections, feel free to share them. I stand by my claims that young-Earth creationism is a.) contradicted by all evidence and b.) makes Christianity look bad, and I will gladly support them if you'd like.

I have particular and very personal insights on the second one there, as I used to be a Christian before I got involved in the creation/evolution debate.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
That's too easy
Well, I thought of saying that it was possible to express YEC in two words "it's magic" or "God's will" but decided that there were nuances which demanded a full sentence.
Liar? Because I said YEC is wrong? Are you sure you understand the word "liar"?

At best you could say I was mistaken. I'm not, but I think that's the strongest you could say.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
In the same place that Science says that civilization began, in the middle east in the furtile cresent.

Hunter gathers were never more then 50 people that traveled from place to place. The first permenant settlements began around 6,000 years ago when you will begin to find up to 300 people in a settlement.

The dates can be difficult to determine though, because the cities were built on camp sites that they had been using for thousands of years.
How nice John, dodging the question. I didn't ask where civilization started, I asked where in the Bible it says civilization began 6,000 years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Who's tried what? Were you talking about YEC??????

Oh my.... some of you do have a low opinion of people who might just so happen to believe in miracles.... or it seems so at times.
The problem with it is it explains nothing, especially when the observable evidence contradicts it. Saying a global flood occurred, and then when asked how did it result in the current observable evidence, the reply is a miracle, we have gotten no where. It is a logical fallacy to explain something obscure with something equally or more obscure than what it is trying to explain.

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

Pros: It is easy. Intelectually, all one has to do is dismiss the evidence and say God/thefalldidit. Spiritually, the Bible is entirely literal so there is no need to reconcile with reality or question any part. If the Bible, which saddly is often interchanged with God, says so there is nothing more to talk about. Philosophically, no questions of when or how humans became humans no doubts about our specialness (made up word?). Scientifically, no need to study archeology, evolutionary biology, cosmology, radiometry and so many more scientific disciplines. Replace everything with Goddidit and presto the easiest cosmotheory to swallow!

Cons: You will be ridiculed and mocked when and if you come to contact with educated people. A college level course in biology has the potential of debunking your entire belief structure. It is damaging to the scientific potential of any country whose kids are exposed to false ideas about science (i.e. it is just a theory, nothing is proven, science is atheistic etc).

What do you think of people when they tell you they have whitnessed miracles????

I am a Christian and I don't automatically open my mouth and start praying. We owe it to ourselves, to God and to the world to investigate such claims with skepticism. The danger from accepting every cancer remission, every healed coma, every Virgin Marry on a muffin as a miracle is to become a superstitious cult no better than the folks who tried to cure schizophrenia by trambling over the victim to force the demons out.

Reactions: OdwinOddball
Upvote 0