✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
swingnscream said:
I think it's also a bit crazy to just try and put a glamorous spin on it, if you can't stand around a bunch of other PKs a just admit that it hurts and it sucks, then you've learn the "happy face" too well ...and that's not good for one's health. That's not to accuse anyone here of that, but I've seen PKs who just try to keep the happy face all the time, even when they don't have to, and it just completely, burns them out.

Sometimes it takes one to know one, so who understand a PK better than other PKs? That's what I'm trying to say.

You know, there were a lot of good things, a lot, but there has never been anyone to talk to about the negative stuff. Most PK's I know of are on atheist boards, their experience was so bad--but I can't really relate to them, because I love the Lord heart and soul. (He was the diamond buried in the middle of a big mess!)

And I can't always relate to those whose experience was good; it's more like I just feel envious.

If I get negative on this thread, BTW, I'm not trying to say, hey, everybody, we all have to agree it sucks--not at all. Because some people have had great experiences, and their great experience is just as real and valid as my pretty lousy experience.

My experience was pretty lousy because my parents had depression issues, and they were insecure people. They didn't want us to be real. They made us feel like we had the potential to "ruin everything." I felt like the real me was not o.k. and so I became a phony.

It took me years of going through the fire for the Lord to get me to start being real, to become an honest person. There is some anger I feel about having been taught and pressured to be a phony by my own parents. It brought me a lot of grief in my life.

So anyway, whoever wants to be positive, no problem, honestly, go right ahead. My experience doesn't invalidate that :)

Reactions: Dr. Holly
Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi all :wave:

I too grew up as a PK, so I'm here to listen as well to anyone who is currently still one and needs to vent, or who wants to share some great experiences.

I echo what Ivy says; my experience was also pretty lousy as my parents were also depressed and tended to be very phony and put on that "all is great" mask while in front of the congregation. However, there were also positive lessons and things that were taught which made it all worthwhile. Jesus is still the Lord of my life and I will praise Him every day of my life! :clap:

God bless all of you! You're in my prayers! :prayer:

Upvote 0

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey all! I've been a PK since I was 5. I'd moved 14 times by the time I was 17, have added 2 moves since then, and will add another one in 7 months. This January I'll be celebrating 8 years in the same town and church...funny what we find exciting, huh?

I've been blessed with parents who never allowed my brother and I to be treated as though we were in a fishbowl. Of course, people knew who we were and watched us, but dad made it clear that everyone is human and capable of screwing up- even pastors and their families! He was also pretty adament that how he dealt with us was family business and none of the congregation's concern.

For the most part I've had a pretty good experience being a pk. My hardest struggles have been when non-believers find out I'm a pk and immediately jump to their conclusions instead of just getting to know me first and find out I don't fit their perception of a pk or even a Christian, for that matter. It also seems that the majority of the pk's I've hung out with all have a ministry or mission calling on their life, and it's always made me feel like a third wheel cuz I don't. But I wonder how much of that is because alot of people just seem to expect pk's to go into the ministry? I do remember growing up everyone seemed to expect me to go to Bible College, I think the only reason I didn't go is because my parents didn't have that expectation of me...whatever I wanted to do was fine with them.

Ah well, it's all good. I'm here to chat if anyone just wants to talk.

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
8 years at the same church & town is really is something, at least in the eyes of a PK! Sounds like you've had some great parents who've had a very understand grasp on thing. Something like that makes a huge difference!
But I have to wonder, for in your case and all the PKs who've had to move so much how do/did you remember your address and telephone number? I haven't moved nearly that much, and I still at times have to think about what town I'm in now to figure out the right answer.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
8 years at the same church & town is really is something, at least in the eyes of a PK! Sounds like you've had some great parents who've had a very understand grasp on thing. Something like that makes a huge difference!
But I have to wonder, for in your case and all the PKs who've had to move so much how do/did you remember your address and telephone number? I haven't moved nearly that much, and I still at times have to think about what town I'm in now to figure out the right answer.

lol...for the most part the new address and phone just always seemed to stick with me, but I'd also make sure I had it written down and in my purse for those times when I'd draw a complete blank!

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It was difficult at times to remember. I was a writer during those times though so I was sending 3+ letters out a day to different people. I guess that helped a lot in not forgetting the new number and address. I can only recall 2 addresses looking back though on my PK years now.

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I had a very close friend in junior high, and after I moved, we were just insane letter writers for about two years after. Ten pages was a *short letter--I think she did a record of 57 pages one time.
wow that's tight. I've never quite mastered the long distance skill. It seems like communication always fizzles out. I guess it's a case of "practice makes perfect" for remembering new addresses and old friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums