YAY first Post

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
*peeks around the corner* so is this suppose to be another spotlight for the fishbowl or more like a "group therapy club"? Of course if it's just a place to meet and plot world domination, I'm down with that too. :holy:

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

HMSongbird2

Sep 2, 2004
✟15,196.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Ivy said:
Howdy! I'm an "adult P.K."--grew up as one. I'll tell you all sorts of war stories and give advice on world domination strategies if you like ;-)
War stories from fellow PKs are always fun to listen to...

Swingnscream: we're always put in a fishbowl... I guess one more won't matter too much, eh? ;] Sometimes they're fun. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming. Hehe..

Upvote 0

HMSongbird2

Sep 2, 2004
✟15,196.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
tim5fl said:
I grew up--my children might question that--:) in a rescue mission where dad preached for 30 years.
Does that count here? That was a truely different lifestyle to grow up in.
I think that counts. In a way, that is probably even harder than just a regular PK. Besides, you're posting in in the PK category, so...

Upvote 0

swingnscream

Jan 25, 2004
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
tim5fl said:
I grew up--my children might question that--:) in a rescue mission where dad preached for 30 years.
Does that count here? That was a truely different lifestyle to grow up in.
hey, as long as you've got some pk stories [or scars] it counts. I've got say though, getting to stay somewhere for 30 years is more than my small imagination could comprehend!

HMSongbird2 said:
Swingnscream: we're always put in a fishbowl... I guess one more won't matter too much, eh? ;] Sometimes they're fun. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming. Hehe..

that's right! Although I hate it when the tap on the glass. I guess that's the part where you tell yourself "find a happy place. Find a happy place."

Reactions: sherri
Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
HMSongbird2 said:
War stories from fellow PKs are always fun to listen to...

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming. Hehe..

Can I be a hammerhead shark? :D

You know, I didn't usually have many problems with my dad's--what d'ya call 'em?--constituents, parishioners, pet rock collection :D --I just felt my mom & dad weren't really suited to pastoring. It didn't seem to go well for them many times. They both brought a lot of unresolved baggage, insecurites etc. into pastoring. They didn't allow us to be kids, they worried too much about their image, they expected too much.

And we were always moving it seemed like; I still don't feel like I fit in anywhere to this day. :(

But, chin up, Ives :D You're a little on the eccentric side, and that is always fun, anyway. :holy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swingnscream

Jan 25, 2004
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Ivy said:
Can I be a hammerhead shark? :D

And we were always moving it seemed like; I still don't feel like I fit in anywhere to this day. :(

But, chin up, Ives :D You're a little on the eccentric side, and that is always fun, anyway. :holy:

aw, you're one of us! I personally think the best PKs are like what you just described! ...of course I could be really bias on that one.

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Even if I can't make me fit, I sure know how to fit a lot of stuff in a cardboard box! :D And dats what counts! :D

I helped a friend move a few years ago, and she said, basically, "Dang! You're good at this." I should have said, "Yes, I had an honorary PhD in Packing by age 12." ^_^

Did or does your dad's denomination have a wretched practice called "candidating"? My dad would take us all with him when scoping out a new church and tell us beforehand, "If anyone asks you if you want to move here, say yes."

I shoulda said, "Watcha gonna preach on, Dad? 'Thou shalt not lie'?" :p :p :p

Upvote 0
T

tim5fl

Hello all,
Can i put a positive spin on having your dad in the ministry? It is hard to forget the backstabbing--especially when it is done to your dad--a friend in Winstin-Salem told me that one day that my dad would get his just reward for his faithful service. That thought became very real to me when i burried my dad in March, 2005. God bless,
tim
Gal. 2:20

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
swingnscream said:
*peeks around the corner* so is this suppose to be another spotlight for the fishbowl or more like a "group therapy club"? Of course if it's just a place to meet and plot world domination, I'm down with that too. :holy:

LOL

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
tim5fl said:
Hello all,
Can i put a positive spin on having your dad in the ministry? It is hard to forget the backstabbing--especially when it is done to your dad--a friend in Winstin-Salem told me that one day that my dad would get his just reward for his faithful service. That thought became very real to me when i burried my dad in March, 2005. God bless,
tim
Gal. 2:20

Sorry....

I know a lot of PK's and I KNOW there's a lot of "backstabbing" that goes on in a lot of churches. It probably happened in my church, too, although somehow it never reached my ears, for which I'm thankful. I LOVE my Dad and respect him and his ministry very, very much.

Someone once told me, "If everything is going well and no one is attacking you, be afraid, Satan considers you already his own." Maybe it's a part of the "cross" Jesus talked about in "take up your cross each day." I recall people weren't always real supported and appreciative of Jesus and His ministry, either. Still, I'm sure it hurts a lot.

While I'm not forgetting that it's all about Jesus and not us, that we are - at best - a tool in the hand of the Carpenter, I've thought about when my Dad gets to heaven. And all the people that have been lead to Christ through his ministry. I can't think of a better aspect of heaven, a more glorious thing, than to be welcomed by people whom he lead to Christ.

I think a lot of member have no idea of the sacrafices and work pastors do (where there's love, there is no sacrifice - just love put into action). And they obviously don't do it for the money and fame. They don't do it for the perks, still love, embrace, support, prayers, appreciation mean a LOT to these PEOPLE. The words Dad received, the special acts, they meant very much to him.

MY perspective...

- Josiah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HMSongbird2

Sep 2, 2004
✟15,196.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
CaliforniaJosiah said:
Someone once told me, "If everything is going well and no one is attacking you, be afraid, Satan considers you already his own." Maybe it's a part of the "cross" Jesus talked about in "take up your cross each day."

I can't think of a better aspect of heaven, a more glorious thing, than to be welcomed by people whom he lead to Christ.

I think a lot of member have no idea of the sacrafices and work pastors do (where there's love, there is no sacrifice - just love put into action).

You are absolutely right. It seems that whenever my family is going to do something that we're called to do, attacks come from ALL sides. It's really frustrating, but God always pulls us through. Thank you, Jesus!

Yeah... makes me think of that song, "Thank You".

Pastors do more than so many people know. I look up to my dad. He's my idol (figuratively speaking). I love him so much and I wish other people could see everything he does.

Yeah, backstabbing hurts. It hurts more when you don't know what people are saying, only that they talk about you. I think part of a PK is trying to be perfect so your parents look good. It's really hard. When we get to the point where we are real with everyone, it just makes such a big difference. I have yet to get there, but I pray that I will get there. I know God is faithful =]

Upvote 0

swingnscream

Jan 25, 2004
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Ivy said:
Even if I can't make me fit, I sure know how to fit a lot of stuff in a cardboard box! :D And dats what counts! :D

I helped a friend move a few years ago, and she said, basically, "Dang! You're good at this." I should have said, "Yes, I had an honorary PhD in Packing by age 12." ^_^

Did or does your dad's denomination have a wretched practice called "candidating"? My dad would take us all with him when scoping out a new church and tell us beforehand, "If anyone asks you if you want to move here, say yes."

I shoulda said, "Watcha gonna preach on, Dad? 'Thou shalt not lie'?" :p

Yeah, I still hate hearing the phrase "oh I think it's in a box somewhere". I hate boxes and moving, but loving packing & traveling, how strange?

I've never heard of "candidating" before, that sounds like that would be miserible. I've always thought it tough enough to be thrown into a new church where everybody knows your name and who you are and they just come up and talk to and you're just suppose to know them. Honestly it's a little bit creepy.

As far as things like "backstabbing", I can't even address the issues in one little reply, you'd have to have a whole another thread called "scars & healing" to really get into that. I think worst part of that is usually absorbed by my parents, but seeing them hurt is terrible.
I think it's also a bit crazy to just try and put a glamorous spin on it, if you can't stand around a bunch of other PKs a just admit that it hurts and it sucks, then you've learn the "happy face" too well ...and that's not good for one's health. That's not to accuse anyone here of that, but I've seen PKs who just try to keep the happy face all the time, even when they don't have to, and it just completely, burns them out.

Sometimes it takes one to know one, so who understand a PK better than other PKs? That's what I'm trying to say.

Upvote 0

HMSongbird2

Sep 2, 2004
✟15,196.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
swingnscream said:
I think it's also a bit crazy to just try and put a glamorous spin on it, if you can't stand around a bunch of other PKs a just admit that it hurts and it sucks, then you've learn the "happy face" too well ...and that's not good for one's health. That's not to accuse anyone here of that, but I've seen PKs who just try to keep the happy face all the time, even when they don't have to, and it just completely, burns them out.

Sometimes it takes one to know one, so who understand a PK better than other PKs? That's what I'm trying to say.

I agree with everything you said, but about those last few things... I read it and I was just like, "woah... that's soooo true". As much as I hate to admit it, my happy face is usually glued on all the time. To the point where I don't know much else. I need to learn to stop doing that... because it is burning me out. I love Jesus so much.. but it's kinda hard to be real with that glass house up. AND, I'm pretty extroverted, except when it comes to personal stuff (like this... I wouldn't share except with fellow pks), and that builds up after a while.

Gosh, I hope that wasn't too negative. I think this is supposed to be a positive board. Sorry about that. =\

Upvote 0

HMSongbird2

Sep 2, 2004
✟15,196.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
swingnscream said:
hey it's ok. Somethings about being a PK are negative, besides if this was suppose to be postive board then that'd totally take away from my whole world domination theme. So no worries.
oh, world domination!
you be the dominator. i'll be the one who follows you around everywhere. =]

Upvote 0