Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Tiberian, Babylonian, and Palestinian Hebrew" lists more than 4 vowels. The footnotes, and links to the respective vocalizations (Tiberian, Babylonian, Palestinian) agree with me completely.
Samaritan Hebrew has full vowels when the other traditions have reduced vowels, but these do not always correlate with their Proto-Hebrew ancestors

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Tiberian, Babylonian, and Palestinian Hebrew" lists more than 4 vowels. The footnotes, and links to the respective vocalizations (Tiberian, Babylonian, Palestinian) agree with me completely.

Above the chart it says:

The following charts summarize the most common reflexes of the Proto-Semitic vowels in the various stages of Hebrew:

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Above the chart it says:

The following charts summarize the most common reflexes of the Proto-Semitic vowels in the various stages of Hebrew:

First: Describe to me what a vowel reflex is. Second: Then explain to me why – logically – this does not express a comprehensive inventory of the vowels present in the language.

Your [sic] so funny. That is modern Hebrew, that is why there is an e vowel.

No, that's the Tiberian vocalization. Your list only provides 4 of the 11 vowels realized in the dialect. They are not the only four. They are the *reflexes* of Proto-Semitic vowel classes.

You do not seem to grasp what your own source material is expressing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
First: Describe to me what a vowel reflex is. Second: Then explain to me why – logically – this does not express a comprehensive inventory of the vowels present in the language.

No, that's the Tiberian vocalization. Your list only provides 4 of the 11 vowels realized in the dialect. They are not the only four. They are the *reflexes* of Proto-Semitic vowel classes.

You do not seem to grasp what your own source material is expressing.

Masoretic scholars living in the Jewish community of Tiberias in ancient Judea c. 750–950 CE. They wrote in the form of Tiberian vocalization, which employed diacritics added to the Hebrew letters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I study what David Steinberg writes about the Hebrew language, and I also listen to others about certain subjects.

CR, you're not reading what you claim to be reading.

Steinberg gives several examples of e-class vowels in what he describes as Early Biblical Hebrew in a number of his vowel tables.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
CR, you're not reading what you claim to be reading.

Steinberg gives several examples of e-class vowels in what he describes as Early Biblical Hebrew in a number of his vowel tables.
I do not disagree that there were e vowel sounds. I do not agree that the e vowel was in actual use. The same can be said about a and e being confused.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This does not follow. Non sequitur.
The premise is that vowels have sounds, and the conclusion is the actual vowel being used. Another point to be made is that the Rabbi's changed the language. Example: IL became EL.

Upvote 0