Wrong to have non-Christians baby dedicated?

Feb 27, 2014
Texas
✟8,130.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*HINT*

Getting a baby dedicated doesn't mean it'll grow up to serve the LORD

I thought the whole point of a baby dedication was that you are giving the baby God gave you to Him and are basically making a covenant with Him that you will raise the baby in the Lord. That's how I understood it with my son's dedication. Seems to me when doing it with unbelievers it is almost mocking and lying to God, and worse still to have the Pastor's approval upon it.

Just an FYI, this happened today in my Church and my wife and I didn't feel comfortable to stay so we left before the dedication began. The Pastor is a family member so we know him very well, if I bring this up to him I want to make sure I'm not out of order in doing so.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought the whole point of a baby dedication was that you are giving the baby God gave you to Him and are basically making a covenant with Him that you will raise the baby in the Lord. That's how I understood it with my son's dedication. Seems to me when doing it with unbelievers it is almost mocking and lying to God, and worse still to have the Pastor's approval upon it.

Just an FYI, this happened today in my Church and my wife and I didn't feel comfortable to stay so we left before the dedication began. The Pastor is a family member so we know him very well, if I bring this up to him I want to make sure I'm not out of order in doing so.

^Yes, this.

If we were Roman Catholics who believed the act of baptism was itself spiritually efficacious, it would make sense in that theology to baptize an infant under any circumstances.

But this isn't a baptism, a baby dedication is totally the parents committing themselves publicly to raise the child as a Christian. Nothing spiritual happens to the baby. If that commitment isn't being made, then it's just an act of superstition.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

^Yes, this.

If we were Roman Catholics who believed the act of baptism was itself spiritually efficacious, it would make sense in that theology to baptize an infant under any circumstances.

But this isn't a baptism, a baby dedication is totally the parents committing themselves publicly to raise the child as a Christian. Nothing spiritual happens to the baby. If that commitment isn't being made, then it's just an act of superstition.

Pretty much and that is how I understood it.

I have seen people dedicated as babies who are now as adults living as worldly and heathenly as those who had never been in church.

The act does absolutely nothing to consecrate anyone to the LORD. The responsibility is still on the parents to raise their child in the instruction of the LORD.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We've no idea how Yahweh is working in these parents' lives.

Their pastor ought to have some idea. He ought to have gained some involvement before agreeing to the ceremony.

These purely religions ceremonies are not just for grins and giggles--they are supposed to mean something not only to the individuals but also to the congregational community in which they are performed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*HINT*

Getting a baby dedicated doesn't mean it'll grow up to serve the LORD

I said "The baby can grow up to serve God".

I did not say the baby would grow up to serve the Lord.

Perhaps you will learn to read a bit closer one of these days.:)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it wrong for a Pastor to dedicate the baby of a couple who conceived her through fornication, are unmarried (with no intention of marrying anytime soon) and who are not in Christ (mom grew up in the Church but went to the world. Dad some guy met in the world.)?

And yet, the self same people see the importance and significance of dedicating their child to God. Thank you Jesus! That pastor has just been invited to speed into their lives for the child. What a great opportunity to minister to the family, and at their requests.

That pastor has a whole lot of wisdom.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or the pastor could have first entered the couple into sessions of training in what the dedication entailed and what responsibilities it placed upon them to raise the child as a Christian.

I would hope he'd do that for a baptism (even their own as adults) or a marriage. Would a pastor be expected to baptize someone who was explicitly not a believer "as an opportunity to minister?"

The ceremony itself is the expression of the commitment. The opportunity to minister comes when they express the desire for the ceremony before the ceremony so they will be fully aware of what they're committing to by the ceremony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong for a Pastor to dedicate the baby of a couple who conceived her through fornication, are unmarried (with no intention of marrying anytime soon) and who are not in Christ (mom grew up in the Church but went to the world. Dad some guy met in the world.)?

If the pastor only dedicates babies whose parents are perfect then all the best finding the first candidate.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or the pastor could have first entered the couple into sessions of training in what the dedication entailed and what responsibilities it placed upon them to raise the child as a Christian.

I would hope he'd do that for a baptism (even their own as adults) or a marriage. Would a pastor be expected to baptize someone who was explicitly not a believer "as an opportunity to minister?"

The ceremony itself is the expression of the commitment. The opportunity to minister comes when they express the desire for the ceremony before the ceremony so they will be fully aware of what they're committing to by the ceremony.

Considering Baptism is a public expression of accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior, how exactly could someone baptize a non believer? Just dunk them in water with saying nothing?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Considering Baptism is a public expression of accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior, how exactly could someone baptize a non believer? Just dunk them in water with saying nothing?

A baby dedication is a public expression of an intention to raise the child as a Christian. "Opportunity to minister" is no more reason for the pastor to participate in a public deception about the baby dedication than it is for the minister to participate in a public deception to his congregation about baptism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A baby dedication is a public expression of an intention to raise the child as a Christian.

You are 100% correct, it is where the parents are asked to promise to raise the baby according to scriptural principle. They are asked to acknowledge Jesus Christ and the role He would have in their childs upbringing.

And they say yes!

How is that a bad thing?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are 100% correct, it is where the parents are asked to promise to raise the baby according to scriptural principle. They are asked to acknowledge Jesus Christ and the role He would have in their childs upbringing.

And they say yes!

How is that a bad thing?

From the OP: "...couple who conceived her through fornication, are unmarried (with no intention of marrying anytime soon) and who are not in Christ."

Upvote 0