Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
Call me out if I'm wrong, please.

It seems like everything in this forum is viewing Christian Persecution through a wrong lens.

First, there are a number of posts that talk about how persecuted we are in America for our faith because of our schools, work places, or even laws that have been established. As Americans it's natural for us to whine whenever we're wronged, and it's especially a propensity as Christians. Some of us even rejoice whenever we as Christians have our way in society and the "persecution" is lifted. It is ridiculous to even think that we, as Americans, are being persecuted. Christianity is definitely muffled more than any other religion in the US, but it's a far cry from persecution. Instead of whining, let's be wronged, accept whatever judgment comes our way without retaliation, and show this dying world how the blood of Christ has transformed our hearts from ones of hate to ones of love. Love is what we should be known for.

Second, there is so much sorrow for the persecuted Christians overseas. Don't get me wrong--I think it's appalling how Christians are treated overseas. It goes to show how ignorant natural man actually is, and it's despicable. However, in the pain we are feeling for our brothers and sisters, we need to remember the awesomeness that the Word of God is such a threat that it needs to be restrained. Persecution reaps true faith, and separates the sheep and the goats. Oh, if only the US could face severe persecution so that true faith in God would abound and cultural Christianity would be washed away. Persecution that our brothers and sisters face promises inheritance in heaven, and treasures none of us could even fathom. Praise God that these men and women have been given the chance to suffer for the Lord.

Peace,
Cass

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
eutychus said:
It is ridiculous to even think that we, as Americans, are being persecuted.
Persecution is the denial of a right due to one's religious faith. It can be physical like violence or emotional like verbal harrassment at home, school, or work or economic like denial of employment or education, or forensic like false imprisonment. It is all the same.

Cass, if we are not being persecuted, what about the Bible verse that all who will live godly lives in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution? Are we in America not living godly enough lives? Ofcouse many of us are living godly lives in Christ Jesus and are being persecuted... even here in America.

You point is well taken, though. Persecution can be turned to good by God. One of the early church fathers wrote that martyrs are the seed of the church. We know from history that persecution grows the church, and temporal comfort and power could corrupt. Still these are silver linings on a rather dark cloud. What do you think we ought to do? Abandon efforts to help victims of oppression? See the Old Testament about helping the oppressed and the New Testament about doing good to all men, especially those of the household of faith. Would you agree there is merit in helping victims and defending the defenseless?

Oh, if only the US could face severe persecution so that true faith in God would abound and cultural Christianity would be washed away.
True faith vs. cultural Christianity? Sounds like we are in total agreement. You are allowed to say this, "Many religious liberals have never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." Unfortunately we are unable to discuss this subject (board rules). I always obey the rules.

Upvote 0

StarSapphire

Joyfully we adore Him!
Nov 28, 2004
Northern California
✟11,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The refining fire of persecution. Yes, that is what good happens through persecution.

On the other hand, I'm still a citizen of the U. S. with full voting privileges! Why stay silent when we still have to right to complain, write our congressman, or any other form of expression? I appreciate your expressed opinion, but until the day they throw me into prison for my faith, or persecute me by torture, I will gripe and complain just as any bonafide citizen of the U. S. But, that is just me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.