• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

writing on the ground

Discussion in 'Exposition & Bible Study' started by andy153, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainbowprism

rainbowprism Elevate My Soul

+58
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Where is this source of information from though that this Bishop used?

2. mythbuster

mythbuster Senior Member

+17
    Christian
    The Lord when He stooped down put Himself below the proud Pharisees and the sinful women. They were ready to kill her and this may have calmed the situation down.

They all had to stop and look and see what He wrote. Maybe he wrote what He said, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Guest

+0
    Nobody really knows what he wrote but i think he was writing down what the sins of womans accusers were.Thats why he said let those without sin cast the first stone,and i think thats why they didnt do anything to her and went on there way,jesus was writing down what there sins were to show they were not sinless either.but thats just my opinion i cant really back that up with any scripture.

4. JohnJones

JohnJones Well-Known Member

+40
    Christian
    Considering that their intent was to break the Law, they could not be without sin. It would seem then that he would have been pointing out their breaking the Law by allowing the man to escape.

5. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,781
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I do not know.

6. rainbowprism

rainbowprism Elevate My Soul

+58
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Hmmm, it could make sense that Jesus wrote thier sins on the ground as a silent warning shot.... but I don't know if we can take the liberty. I wonder if there was any Jewish custom that might mirror one writing on the ground...if you know what I mean.

7. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,256
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I know what he wrote, he wrote the names of their girlfriends. Ever notice that it was only the woman they brought?

8. Nazarite

Nazarite Paid In Full (1st John 1:9)

+5
    Christian
    Married
    I agree with those who hold the opinion that Jesus was writing the names and possibly specific sins of the accusers in the dust. Not only is there some tradition surrounding this theory, there is some possible light shed in the book of Jeremiah.

O LORD , the hope of Israel, all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the LORD , the spring of living water (Jeremiah 17:13)."Mikveh" is the Hebrew word translated in verse 13 as hope. The "mikveh" is a collection of ritual waters used for purification. This verse implies that the Messiah was to come in the authority of YHWH as a source of living water.

...but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life (John 4:14).I believe these men came with insincere hearts and were attempting to trap Jesus because they had rejected Him as the hope of Israel in their hearts. Jesus was using scripture to point this out to them and convict their hearts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.