Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
New York Times
The Opinionator
By Tobin Harshaw
April 28, 2008,

The Detroit Free Press on Mr. Wright’s talk in the Motor City last night.

(Full video of the address, is viewable at hiphopmusic.com.)

The Freep’s reporters, however, didn’t think it worth going into details on the passage that has the blogosphere all atwitter — ABC News’s Jake Tapper explains:
The bulk of his remarks addressed, however, different groups seeing each other as deficient. He acted out the differences between marching bands at predominantly black and predominantly white colleges. “Africans have a different meter, and Africans have a different tonality,” he said. Europeans have seven tones, Africans have five. White people clap differently than black people . . .​

It would seem there is a profound difference between the black brain and other brains after all. At least according to Reverend Wright. According to this shining exemplar of Barack Obama and the deep scholarship of black liberation theology, black people are right-brained and white people are left-brained . . .​
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/wright-brain-theory/

BlueJ

Dec 27, 2005
Bronx, New York
✟8,144.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think that you are clear on what he meant. Traditionally in most part of Africa, Africans are taught differenty in terms of leaning toward oral communications. If you do research on African history written by Africans then you would have undertood what Rev Wright was saying. One of the reasons why many whites are taking his words out of context is from the fact that they really dont have any understanding of African and African Amercian hisory.
God bless :)

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One of the reasons why many whites are taking his words out of context is from the fact that they really dont have any understanding of African and African Amercian hisory.

Guess that is why Obama doesn't have a chance to be elected president. Whites just don't understand what he and his pastor are saying. They didn't get Obama's comments about bitter small town Americans nor about "typical white people" and they do not get anything Jeremiah Wright says.

Personally, I hope they (and me) never do understand.

Upvote 0

BlueJ

Dec 27, 2005
Bronx, New York
✟8,144.00
Faith
Christian
See that is the problem, there is a lack of communication between ethnic groups, cultures, religions, ect, which is keeping us all from coming together and making a positive difference. This is why Rev Wright said "different does not mean deficient", what part don't people understand. Too many whites has distance themselves.
It is impossible to say you can't understand someone, many people just don't want to understand. However, their are many whites who embrace African American History and traditions, because they want to understand. An not to be bias, not all blacks are the same nor is all whits the same. So just because people are different doesn't not them wrong.
God Bless

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're really trying to push this to make sure it stays an issue, aren't you, Voeg?

The time has come for this mudslinging to be put to rest. Obama has repeatedly denounced the man's beliefs and what was said in his sermons. Since the entire issue has centered around Obama's association with the man, and since Obama has shown that he doesn't share the man's beliefs - in fact, he denounces them - he has given satisfactory answer to the accusations against him.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
and Wright isn't that bad. I'm totally looking athim differently now that he's making all these other speeches.

Really. What did you like best about the NAACP and Press Club speeches?

I thought Wright mocking John F. Kennedy was interesting. So was comparing U.S. Marines to Roman soldiers. As was comparing America to Al Qaeda.

You hear Farrakhan is providing security for Wright?

Figures, doesn't it? Explains all those bow ties we've been seeing in TUCC.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really. What did you like best about the NAACP and Press Club speeches?

I thought Wright mocking John F. Kennedy was interesting. So was comparing U.S. Marines to Roman soldiers. As was comparing America to Al Qaeda.

You hear Farrakhan is providing security for Wright?

Figures, doesn't it? Explains all those bow ties we've been seeing in TUCC.
Obama has given satisfactory answer to the accusations against him. This issue has been resolved.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

NavyGuy7

You're really trying to push this to make sure it stays an issue, aren't you, Voeg?

The time has come for this slime to be put to rest. Obama has repeatedly denounced the man's beliefs and what was said in his sermons. Since the entire issue has centered around Obama's association with the man, and since Obama has shown that he doesn't share the man's beliefs - in fact, he denounces them - he has given satisfactory answer to the accusations against him.
Ringo

lemme see, and that couldn't be due to the fact that sharing the man's beliefs MIGHT hurt his chances for election?
Hrm?
I'm not for or against this, but that is CERTAINLY an option, is it not?
Just because Obama "looks" good, doesn't mean he'll make a "good" president.
I have yet to see what is truly in that man's heart.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The time has come for this slime to be put to rest. Obama has repeatedly denounced the man's beliefs and what was said in his sermons. Since the entire issue has centered around Obama's association with the man, and since Obama has shown that he doesn't share the man's beliefs - in fact, he denounces them - he has given satisfactory answer to the accusations against him.
Ringo

Satisfactory to you maybe.

But the question still remains as to why one would choose to remain under the teaching ans spiritual authority of someone that you disagree so strongly with.

Upvote 0

MacCoyle

Non-Partisan
Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
✟8,737.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

But the question still remains as to why one would choose to remain under the teaching ans spiritual authority of someone that you disagree so strongly with.

Easily, spirituality and political agreements are very different.

Try being Catholic too.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lemme see, and that couldn't be due to the fact that sharing the man's beliefs MIGHT hurt his chances for election?
Hrm?
I'm not for or against this, but that is CERTAINLY an option, is it not?
Just because Obama "looks" good, doesn't mean he'll make a "good" president.
I have yet to see what is truly in that man's heart.
Then prove that Obama shares the man's beliefs!
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Satisfactory to anyone who is truly interested in the truth and not simply in trying to score cheap political points.

This question has been asked ad nauseum on this board, and the answer is always the same: church membership is not dependent on agreeing with the pastor's every word. Just because someone is your mentor doesn't mean you agree with their every word.

Why would Obama remain under his tutelage? Because a friendship is stronger than a couple of political issues. I haven't dumped my Republican friend TE simply because I disagree with him, because my friendship with TE is more important than political issues.

The questions in this issue have been asked and answered. Case closed.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Rev Wright theory of how the brains of white and black children differ, how white and black children do not learn the same way is very similiar to the type of analysis that got Jimmy the Greek fired from CBS.

Imagine if a white minister had said what Wright did about the difference between white and black brains, if a white minister had said there are inherent differences in how black and white kids learn.

My gosh...his career would be over. Any political who had been a member of his church for 20 years, written a book based on his sermons and donated tens of thousands to his churhc would be finished as well.

Rightly so too.

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

Then prove that Obama shares the man's beliefs!
Ringo

LOL... I said it was a possibility.
Note, I said...
"I have yet to see what lies in that man's heart."
Or are you implying Obama is incapable of believing what he wants?
-NavyGuy7

PS... LOL, you just reminded me of Edgeworth of the Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney game for the DS.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Rev Wright theory of how the brains of white and black children differ, how white and black children do not learn the same way is very similiar to the type of analysis that got Jimmy the Greek fired from CBS.

Imagine if a white minister had said what Wright did about the difference between white and black brains, if a white minister had said there are inherent differences in how black and white kids learn.

My gosh...his career would be over. Any political who had been a member of his church for 20 years, written a book based on his sermons and donated tens of thousands to his churhc would be finished as well.

Rightly so too.
Since we have proven, however, that Obama does not share his beliefs, Obama is not "finished" at all.

No matter how hard you may be wishing for it: "Please let this sink Obama! Please let this sink Obama! Oh please please please!"
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
LOL... I said it was a possibility.
Note, I said...
"I have yet to see what lies in that man's heart."
Or are you implying Obama is incapable of believing what he wants?
-NavyGuy7

PS... LOL, you just reminded me of Edgeworth of the Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney game for the DS.
It's an option, but I think it's been proven already that Obama doesn't share his beliefs.
Ringo

Upvote 0