Wow! Talk about a license to sin! Come see!

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No contradiction if "the children of Israel" referred to the Jewish diaspora who did not live in Judea.

JOHN.14: =
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

REV.22: =
12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”

14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

All good,all true, but is not the Gospel....the Gospel of Paul that he claims will save us if we believe it is found here——1 cor15.

Interesting stuff here—— google ironside Gospel

Upvote 0

sidewalkchalk

Feb 13, 2012
✟15,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it ties in with free will. We can technically do things, use our free will to choose to do things, but that doesn't mean that those things are good for us not to mention some are not what God calls us to do. Some things go against the word of God.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All good,all true, but is not the Gospel....the Gospel of Paul that he claims will save us if we believe it is found here——1 cor15.

Interesting stuff here—— google ironside Gospel
For the Jews to be saved from hell, they were required by God to keep His Word/Law/commandments plus accept Jesus as their Christ/Messiah/Saviour = eat His flesh plus drink His blood.

For the later Gentiles to be saved from hell, they were required by God to accept Jesus as their Christ/Messiah/Saviour plus gradually learn to keep the non-burdensome parts of His Law/Word/commandments, eg they were exempted from the law of circumcision = drink His blood plus eat His flesh.

Aren't Gentile Christians also required to keep the 2 great commandments in the Law, ie “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[DEUT.6:5] ... ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’"[LEV.19:18].?(MATTHEW.22:37-40)

At 1CORINTHIANS.6:9-11, didn't Paul himself stated that unrepentant and unrighteous Gentile Christian sinners/evildoers/law-breakers will not inherit the kingdom of God.?

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟832,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that's a license to sin if he goes on to say he won't be mastered by anything. Sin is what happens when a natural need or instinct goes out of control. For example, we all need rest, but slothfulness carries it too far and is a sin. Self-esteem is healthy; pride is a sin. Etc. Paul is saying he won't let his natural needs or instincts go overboard.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For the Jews to be saved from hell, they were required by God to keep His Word/Law/commandments plus accept Jesus as their Christ/Messiah/Saviour = eat His flesh plus drink His blood.

For the later Gentiles to be saved from hell, they were required by God to accept Jesus as their Christ/Messiah/Saviour plus gradually learn to keep the non-burdensome parts of His Law/Word/commandments, eg they were exempted from the law of circumcision = drink His blood plus eat His flesh.

Aren't Gentile Christians also required to keep the 2 great commandments in the Law, ie “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[DEUT.6:5] ... ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’"[LEV.19:18].?(MATTHEW.22:37-40)

At 1CORINTHIANS.6:9-11, didn't Paul himself stated that unrepentant and unrighteous Gentile Christian sinners/evildoers/law-breakers will not inherit the kingdom of God.?

Nobody keeps the two commandments....I wish I did but I don’t....thanks be to God He provided another way to be saved...it’s called Pauls Gospel thAt saves found in 1Cor 15....
Communion is done to “remember Christ and His finished work at the Cross. It’s Remember Him— not “save” us.
We do have to repent ,we do have to be righteous — believe Paul’s Gospel where both are built in.God bless

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well , if this didn’t grab your attention,nothing will.
Paul said “ all things are lawful,but not all things are expedient” What do you suppose he meant by this?
Paul did not mean that Christians ought to sin so that grace will increase. That much we know because Paul refuted that claim himself.
Rom 6:1-14 NASB What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptised into Christ Jesus have been baptised into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin. 8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.​
Paul wants Christians to remember that they died to sin. Stop sinning is his message about sins. Just stop it. Don't make excuses for it and don't plan to make sins your way of life because if you do then you'd be denying the blood that was shed to wash you clean of sins. Do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
discipler7 said:
Nobody keeps the two commandments....I wish I did but I don’t....
Not true... You should keep them.
MATTHEW.19: =
Jesus Counsels the Rich Young Ruler
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
GALATIANS.5: =
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

What we can't keep is to be free of involuntary and sinful/evil/satanic lust, hate, anger, greed, selfishness, jealousy, envy, covetousness, fears/worries, doubts, etc, in our hearts and minds.(cf; MATTHEW.5:27-30)
... Whenever we have immoral lust in our hearts, we are already bound for hell and if we have not accepted Jesus as our Christ/Messiah/Saviour, we are then required to pluck out our eyes, in order to be saved from hell. Since we already have Jesus Christ in our hearts, we do not need to foolishly pluck out our eyes and chop off our limbs or love our enemies or turn the other cheek or walk the extra mile or lend money/things to all who ask, in order to be saved from hell.

GAL.5:13-15 defines the "license to sin" among some misguided Gentile Christians, as practiced by some liberal Churches who have gay bishops/pastors and LGBTQ members.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said “ all things are lawful,but not all things are expedient” What do you suppose he meant by this?

1 Peter 4:8

Luke 7:47

:D

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
To you it means whatever you interpret it to mean, since you are subject to no one other than yourself.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul did not have the complete gospel, ie he only had the gospel to the Gentiles where he often taught against the Judaizers who had required new Gentile Christians to fully keep Moses Law.
ACTS.9: = 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

GAL.2: = 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), ...

Paul was seeing from where he was at in the process, when it came down it became like the perception Moses was to Israel, something not their own. A messenger of some day while scripture says today is always today ("now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation")

Though Paul could see it...
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you

Paul knew the revealing taking place within...seeing at first (the image in the mirror) dimly, then face to face...know as fully as you have always been known...

Paul knew it was a 'mind' thing (being renewed), inner truth...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This was NOT a license to sin, certainly not from the Apostle. He was referring to things done by faith.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Paul seemed to feel that the Law was no longer binding. So Christians aren't supposed to ask whether something is a sin -- i.e. a violation of the rules -- but whether something is loving. Jesus said the same thing in Mat 5, where he reviewed 6 of the 10 commandments, replacing the letter of the Law with statement about intent.

Is this a license to sin? Not exactly. It doesn't say that everything goes. It says that behavior shouldn't be controlled by legal definitions of sinful activities. But Jesus' replacements for the Law in Mat 5 were actually harder to live up to than the legal provisions.

The translation I use (NRSV) implies that "all things are lawful" is actually a quotation from the letter he is responding to. Nevertheless, Paul seems to accept it. After all, it is based on his own teachings in Rom and Gal. Presumably some in Corinth were taking his rejection of the Law to indicate that anything goes. So he has to correct that. Hence he points out that even though we are no longer controlled by Law, there are still things we won't do because they are damaging.

The discussion starting in 1 Cor 6:12 is a bit ironic given that Paul has just given a list of serious sins in 1 Cor 6:9. I'm going to assume that Paul was dictating the letter. That means that he couldn't easily go back and edit something. I suspect he realizes that 6:9 could have sounded legalistic, so 6:12+ is a corrective.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not for sure if it is what I think but what you think. . We should never be Henny Youngman Christians(King of the one liners). Read to context. Anything not from faith is sin.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simple. It is just another way of Paul saying that Christians are not under the law. We don't live by the knowledge of good and evil, but by a trusting and dependent relationship on the indwelling Holy Spirit. Paul would also write, "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age ...(Titus 2:11-12)" The grace of God teaches us how to walk in love by sharing with others that which God is revealing and has revealed to us. Therefore, when we are loving others, the way God loves us, we are not sinning against them. That is why Paul would also write that, "Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law (Romans 13:10)." The real "license to sin" is trying to live a life you can't through obedience and repentance to laws designed to modify your behavior, then calling on the Lord and His grace when you fall short. Only to repeat that same cycle all over again.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would you please State the complete Gospel,since Paul did not preach it .
"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures ... (1 Corinthians 15:1-4)" Here is Paul preaching the complete Gospel. Christ died for our sins = Forgiveness. He was buried = Proof of death. Raised on the third day = salvation; the restoration of the life of God. Amen!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums