Wow! Talk about a license to sin! Come see!

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Well , if this didn’t grab your attention,nothing will.

What do you suppose that David meant when he said "there is no God" (Psalms 14:1)?

1 Corinthians 6:9-12 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.

Do you suppose that Paul thought that everything he listed in verses 9-10 was lawful? In verse 12, he was quoting what was being said in Corinth in order to argue against it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul said “ all things are lawful,but not all things are expedient” What do you suppose he meant by this?
It probably seems that way quite easily, without the fuller context of Christianity (for example James 4:17 and Hebrews 10:26-27).

That definition of sin in James 4:17 is a bit elusive, but it lines up perfectly with Jesus' definition of morality in Matthew 7:12, which can be a bit complex to figure out if someone is taking a formulaic approach (John 5:39-40). An example of this is seen in Matthew 12:9-14. Same thing happens in churches of the present day.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul said “ all things are lawful,but not all things are expedient” What do you suppose he meant by this?

Because Jesus forgives most every sin, then the "law" no longer holds us in bondage.
For example we can heal others during the Sabbath. I mean, such things are allowed.
But doing all your healing (sticking with the example) on the Sabbath is not
as practical as spreading out your free healthcare program all week.

23“Everything is permissible,” but not everything is beneficial.
“Everything is permissible,” but not everything is edifying.

-is constructive
-is good for you
-not all things build up
-not everything is edifying
-is advantageous
-not everything encourages growth
-are not expedient

Legally, you can drink wine at work, Thank You Jesus.
But it's less practical.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul's letters to the Corinthians were a response to mail from them asking questions. I have heard many commentators suggest that the phrase in question was quoting their "assertion," followed by his response.

1 Corinthians 10:23:
"All things are lawful,"
but not all things are profitable.

"All things are lawful,"
but not all things edify.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow! Talk about a license to sin! Come see!
Paul may be wrong.
... Paul was a Jewish Christian who knew Moses Law like the back of his hand. Most new Gentile Christians were not well-versed in the Law, hence the dispensation from the Law granted to them at ACTS.15:24-29, ie they were required by God/Jesus to begin their born-again lives of the Spirit by keeping 4 easy or non-burdensome laws of Moses. IOW, they were given time to grow in the non-burdensome parts of Moses Law.
... Some Lutheran Christians falsely believe that they will still be saved from hell even if they knowingly and willingly commit sins/evil-deeds as if they have the license to sin.
MATTHEW.19: says, "Jesus Counsels the Rich Young Ruler
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions."
1JOHN.2 & 3 says, "The Test of Knowing Him
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

The Children of God
28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. 29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.

Sin and the Child of God
3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

The Imperative of Love
10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, 12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.

The Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Error
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us."

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"DO what is BEST" in Christ Jesus, not just get by , and never for your own pleasure.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It all goes back to a tree in the midst of the garden and the command "Thou shalt not eat..." Which has to do with perception. Adam was yet one when God placed him in a deep slumber and took out a woman who prepared a feast that he ate. The woman being a picture of our soul and the perceived duality within (Romans 7 Paul speaks about) and Jesus's words of losing our soul to find it (again).

The change of eyesight (after eating) caused Adam to suddenly perceive differently, suddenly seeing himself afraid, naked and ashamed...which relates to our own soul and where we are eating from, spiritually speaking...the carnal mind or the mind of Christ (Paul said we have it...)and the carnal perceives differently by measuring, dividing and judging because of perceived lack...when the truth of the matter be that God fills ALL IN ALL.

Perception being everything as it relates to the question in the garden "Where art thou?" And, "Who told you....?" Paul goes on in the next verses of the scripture you quote, "Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.”…

Those who wield a sword must die by the same sword...though it all be part of the process taking place within and the revealing within of the truth we have always been from the beginning...

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

God's glory is a covering...and being revealed..

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It means that even if all of our sins get forgiven, some poor choices have lasting bad consequences. Right, Abraham (cough Ishmael cough) & David...? (Oy vey!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's lawful for me to eat beef on Fridays but if I were to serve beef to my sister-in-law on Friday, she is Catholic, it would be offensive to her. I shouldn't do that because of her conscience, not mine.
It would be the same to serve shell fish to my Jewish friend.
Not to say that Paul is only referring to food but could relate to other harmless customs, such as hand washing rituals, etc.

Paul talks about eating with nonbelievers and not to offend them, eat what they eat and don't ask them where the meat came from, but if they tell you that it was offered to an idol, don't eat it. Not because it will hurt you but because it would not glorify God and therefore wouldn't edify the nonbeliever. v 27-29

1Co 10:31 Whether, then, ye eat, or drink, or do anything, do all to the glory of God;
1Co 10:32 become offenceless, both to Jews and Greeks, and to the assembly of God;
1Co 10:33 as I also in all things do please all, not seeking my own profit, but that of many--that they may be saved.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul said “ all things are lawful,but not all things are expedient”
God is all-knowing. Who was more knowledgeable about God's or Christ's gospel message.? Was it John, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Peter or Paul.?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is all-knowing. Who was more knowledgeable about God's or Christ's gospel message.? Was it John, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Peter or Paul.?

The Gospel which was preached by Paul in 1Cor 15 was given to him from Christ to spread to the world.Paul consistently refers to it as “his” ,meaning Paul’s Gospel.Somewhat strange, but nevertheless true. God bless.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
St. John's relationship with Christ was the closest, as he is remembered as "the one whom Jesus loved". This deep relationship with The Holy Spirit is seen through all of his writings.

St. Paul was the first of the post-resurrection disciples, who had not known Jesus when He walked in the flesh, but came to know Him through repentance. This is the only way that we can become Christians these days, and in that sense, he was the first pioneer of our faith.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Gospel which was preached by Paul in 1Cor 15 was given to him from Christ to spread to the world.Paul consistently refers to it as “his” ,meaning Paul’s Gospel.Somewhat strange, but nevertheless true. God bless.

His Gospel involved bringing the Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed, so he also preached repentance from what God has revealed to be sin in His Law (Romans 15:18-19).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well , if this didn’t grab your attention,nothing will. Paul said “ all things are lawful,but not all things are expedient” What do you suppose he meant by this?

An excellent opportunity to quote John Calvin from his commentary:

"All things are lawful for me. Interpreters labor hard to make out the connection of these things, as they appear to be somewhat foreign to the Apostle’s design. For my own part, without mentioning the different interpretations, I shall state what, in my opinion, is the most satisfactory. It is probable, that the Corinthians even up to that time retained much of their former licentiousness, and had still a savor of the morals of their city. Now when vices stalk abroad with impunity, custom is regarded as law, and then afterwards vain pretexts are sought for by way of excuse; an instance of which we have in their resorting to the pretext of Christian liberty, so as to make almost everything allowable for themselves to do. They reveled in excess of luxury. With this there was, as usual, much pride mixed up. As it was an outward thing, they did not think that there was any sin involved in it: nay more, it appears from Paul’s words that they abused liberty so much as to extend it even to fornication. Now therefore, most appropriately, after having spoken of their vices, he discusses those base pretexts by which they flattered themselves in outward sins.

It is, indeed, certain, that he treats here of outward things, which God has left to the free choice of believers, but by making use of a term expressive of universality, he either indirectly reproves their unbridled licentiousness, or extols God’s boundless liberality, which is the best directress to us of moderation. For it is a token of excessive licentiousness, when persons do not, of their own accord, restrict themselves, and set bounds to themselves, amidst such manifold abundance. And in the first place, he limits liberty by two exceptions; and secondly, he warns them, that it does not by any means extend to fornication. These words, All things are lawful for me, must be understood as spoken in name of the Corinthians, κατ ᾿ ἀνθυποφορὰν, (by anticipation,) as though he had said, I am aware of the reply which you are accustomed to make, when desirous to avoid reproof for outward vices. You pretend that all things are lawful for you, without any reserve or limitation.

But all things are not expedient Here we have the first exception, by which he restricts the use of liberty — that they must not abandon themselves to licentiousness, because respect must be had to edification. The meaning is, “It is not enough that this or that is allowed us, to be made use of indiscriminately; for we must consider what is profitable to our brethren, whose edification it becomes us to study. For as he will afterwards point out at greater length, (1Co 10:23,) and as he has already shown in Rom 14:13, etc., every one has liberty inwardly (349) in the sight of God on this condition, that all must restrict the use of their liberty with a view to mutual edification.

I will not be brought under the power of anything Here we have a second restriction — that we are constituted lords of all things, in such a way, that we ought not to bring ourselves under bondage to anything; as those do who cannot control their appetites. For I understand the word τινος (any) to be in the neuter gender, and I take it as referring, not to persons, but to things, so that the meaning is this: “We are lords of all things; only we must not abuse that lordship in such a way as to drag out a most miserable bondage, being, through intemperance and inordinate lusts, under subjection to outward things, which ought to be under subjection to us.” And certainly, the excessive moroseness of those who grudge to yield up anything for the sake of their brethren, has this effect, that they unadvisedly put halters of necessity around their own necks."

• Informative
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul did not have the complete gospel, ie he only had the gospel to the Gentiles where he often taught against the Judaizers who had required new Gentile Christians to fully keep Moses Law.
ACTS.9: = 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

GAL.2: = 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), ...

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul did not have the complete gospel, ie he only had the gospel to the Gentiles where he often taught against the Judaizers who had required new Gentile Christians to fully keep Moses Law.
ACTS.9: = 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

GAL.2: = 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), ...

Would you please State the complete Gospel,since Paul did not preach it . Paul was certainly sent to the Gentiles,but your quote also says he is to “bear my name to the children of Israel” seems to be a contradiction there.Anyway, what did Paul leave out ?

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul was certainly sent to the Gentiles,but your quote also says he is to “bear my name to the children of Israel” seems to be a contradiction there.Anyway, what did Paul leave out ?
No contradiction if "the children of Israel" referred to the Jewish diaspora who did not live in Judea.

Would you please State the complete Gospel,since Paul did not preach it .
JOHN.14: =
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

REV.22: =
12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”

14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

Upvote 0