Would you support a Constitutional ammendment making abortion illegal?

Constitutional ammendment banning all abortions except when medically necessary to save the mother?

• Yes

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure what your point is No Username Found. Amendments can be done by Constitutional Convention, but it has never happened. The claim was not that the Constitution has never been amended.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what your point is. Amendments can be done by Constitutional Convention, but it has never happened. The claim was not that the Constitution has never been amended.
Okay, just so that I am understanding you correctly. You are not saying that the Constitution has never been amended, rather, a the Constitution has never been amended via a Constitutional Convention?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is no exception for rape, and it legislates a decision between a doctor and their patients. The government should not have any say in any person’s private medical care.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no exception for rape, and it legislates a decision between a doctor and their patients. The government should not have any say in any person’s private medical care.
Does the cause of conception change the value of the life in the womb? If so, under what grounds? Obviously it cannot be biblical grounds because the Bible is clear that the life in the womb is precious regardless of how the mother became pregnant. Furthermore, the only abortions that this proposed amendment would ban are abortions made out of convenience to the mother. Not abortions that are medically necessary. Yes, a woman choosing to abort the baby solely because it is a child of her rapist is a convenience based decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, just so that I am understanding you correctly. You are not saying that the Constitution has never been amended, rather, a the Constitution has never been amended via a Constitutional Convention?
Yes, I’ve clearly said that in two posts. The other poster said the same thing.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Does the cause of conception change the value of the life in the womb? If so, under what grounds? Obviously it cannot be biblical grounds because the Bible is clear that the life in the womb is precious regardless of how the mother became pregnant. Furthermore, the only abortions that this proposed amendment would ban are abortions made out of convenience to the mother. Not abortions that are medically necessary. Yes, a woman choosing to abort the baby solely because it is a child of her rapist is a convenience based decision.
Tell the rape victim that forcing her to carry the fetus of her attacker for nine months is just a matter of convenience.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tell the rape victim that forcing her to carry the fetus of her attacker for nine months is just a matter of convenience.
Yes, it is inconvenient to carry the child of your rapist. However, that does not justify murdering an innocent child. I will say that, as Christians, there should be more effort to help these unfortunate women care for these children and help them find loving homes. I have seriously considered starting an organization dedicated to such a cause. If a woman is impregnated as a result of rape and must carry the baby to term, the pro-life advocates should advocate for the life of the child after it is born.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it is inconvenient to carry the child of your rapist. However, that does not justify murdering an innocent child. I will say that, as Christians, there should be more effort to help these unfortunate women care for these children and help them find loving homes. I have seriously considered starting an organization dedicated to such a cause. If a woman is impregnated as a result of rape and must carry the baby to term, the pro-life advocates should advocate for the life of the child after it is born.
Carrying the fetus of an attacker to term is more than inconvenient. According to some women, having to do so would be devastating. No woman should be forced to do that against her will.

You’ve been talking about the Constitution. It forbids slavery. How is forcing a rape victim to carry the fetus of her attacker against her will not putting her in a state of slavery for nine months?

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That is not the point. A claim was made that the process of amending the constitution was never successful. Which is false. It has been amended 17 times. You know, abolishment of slavery and the two-term limits to the President? How do you think those amendments came to exist?

Yes, and changing the President's inauguration date, letting women and later 18-year olds vote, etc. I am from the Dry Capital of the World so I will never forget the 18th Amendment.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is a carry over from my previous thread "How can abortion be biblically defended." In that thread, I noticed that their was perhaps one verse that was ever used to biblically defend abortion (Numbers 5). Many Christians stated that they believed that abortion is biblically wrong and sinful however they supported the "Constitutional Rights" of others to make that decision. So the question is very simple so I would expect a very simple answer. If, as a Christian, you had the opportunity to vote to amend the Constitution so that only abortions that could be performed legally in the United States are those in which is medically necessary for the survival of the mother or if the unborn could never live outside the womb (ect. no brain development), would you be in favor of it?

Only if the amendment had abortion completely banned

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

With Missouri set to close its only abortion clinic, I recommend starting in St. Louis.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With the permanence given to Constitutional Amendments, I'd rather not. You have to make sure you're getting the standard you set with an Amendment absolutely right before you ratify it, and if you don't, you have to pass another Amendment to supercede it. No thanks. I'd rather have the standard decided at the level of state or federal law, where it can be more easily changed as necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
With the permanence given to Constitutional Amendments, I'd rather not. You have to make sure you're getting the standard you set with an Amendment absolutely right before you ratify it, and if you don't, you have to pass another Amendment to supercede it. No thanks. I'd rather have the standard decided at the level of state or federal law, where it can be more easily changed as necessary.

This has already happened, as I explained in my first reply. It is still not "easy" to pass state laws with all of the right abortion restrictions, but definitely a much better solution than a repeat of the 18th and 21st.

• Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I support an amendment making all abortions illegal. It's impossible for the staunchest abortion advocate to name one instance where it would be medically necessary- to save the life of the mother- to dissect her living child in her womb or burn him/her with chemicals.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Carrying the fetus of an attacker to term is more than inconvenient. According to some women, having to do so would be devastating. No woman should be forced to do that against her will.

You’ve been talking about the Constitution. It forbids slavery. How is forcing a rape victim to carry the fetus of her attacker against her will not putting her in a state of slavery for nine months?
I am going to ask you a very simple question. Is the value of the unborn determined by the method of conception. Meaning, is an unborn child any less valuable because the mother was raped? Does the unborn child conceived from a loving married couple more valuable than a child of rape?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only if the amendment had abortion completely banned
I agree. But I figured that considering the extraordinary rarity of an actual situation where an abortion was required to save the life of the mother, it would be a good compromise. I am sure you would agree that 1 medically required abortion every 5-10 years is better than 40-50 million performed annually in the United States alone?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I support an amendment making all abortions illegal. It's impossible for the staunchest abortion advocate to name one instance where it would be medically necessary- to save the life of the mother- to dissect her living child in her womb or burn him/her with chemicals.
Ectopic pregnancy. And I'm pro-life, for the record.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Unless you are a medical doctor, you are not qualified to say there are no medical reasons a mother can't finish her pregnancy.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Unless you are a medical doctor, you are not qualified to say there are no medical reasons a mother can't finish her pregnancy.
Unless you are a medical doctor, you are not qualified to say there are medical reasons a mother can't finish her pregnancy.

Upvote 0