Would you pursue and marry someone with chronic illness?

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can't offer any further advice on this situation but I agree with Reese's. She asked for time to process, give her space and time. The outcome might not change, but it's the mature thing to do. In this time, you should work on you. Do some self reflection and work on your own interests and betterment.

Reactions: Maniel
Upvote 0

Maniel

Jul 26, 2019
Aarhus
✟22,672.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, your next move is...

Nothing.

Do... Nothing.

I wish I had commented sooner, because it sounded to me as if you were doing everything right, up to the point when you "pursued her" - i.e. applied undue pressure.

It never works. It almost always ends with the man being on the receiving end of "the talk".

She probably enjoyed "testing the waters" - each date for her was like reading another chapter. And the more spontaneity, fun loving progression and good vibes you threw in there, the more she wanted to follow. Nothing needed to be defined, I mean, why? You already had her out on dates, so she did in fact, give you all the information you needed.

When you pursue her, spill your guts and confess your feelings, or ask "what are we?" - You're basically giving away the ending of the story after only the third or fourth chapter. So what reason does she have to follow along now? The plot is a damp squib, and now she's stuck with someone who "wants something serious". Which is even harder to handle when you're chronically fatigued and not feeling great.

That said, I don't think you've lost her - she clearly likes you. Just back right off for the next month and let her come to you. Don't reach out to her if she hasn't messaged you first. You need to remove this sense of pressure before edging closer. She needs to know that you CAN in fact, offer her this space.

She said it herself, after all.
This makes so much sense. Man, is dating hard with all the hidden little rules and exceptions!
So I kind of did as you said, backed off, threw all my expectations off. There's still some hope in me tho.

Luckily she has written to me quite a few times since. She also phoned me late at night recently after a concert. We went to church last Sunday, and afterwards messaged me to ask if I wanted to see her place where she lives with a bunch of people, and then we're going to take a walk. This Tuesday actually. I take this as good signs, but I don't feel the pressure to say much as I did before. Though, in her messages to me she emphasize her joy, gratitude, how she's looking forward, and so fourth.
Anyway, I'm trying to learn my lesson to give her all the space she needs as you mention. And just being thankful for the time spent and surrendering it all to God, because yeah, trying to take control definitely can hurt a little and perhaps ruin the story as you said

Last edited:
Reactions: Plenipotent
Upvote 0