Would you lie to save the life of one human being?

Would you lie to save the life of one human being?

• No way, the commandments clearly states that "thou shalt not lie!"

• Yes hypocrite!, one life and soul means more to God than a lie!

• Not sure!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Obviously, we have a difference of opinion here about teleological or deontological ethical systems.

Another way to look at this question, though, is from the perspective of whether we believe that among all the alternatives available to us at any given time, is there always one available that is morally good (IOW, not sinful)? Is a choice that appears to be between the lesser of evils always illusory? To what degree can we call a choice of the lesser of evils "good?"

I don't think we're going to resolve the teleological vs. deontological question raised by the OP without exploring these questions in more depth.

Upvote 0

TSIBHOD

Voice of Reason
Feb 13, 2004
Arkansas
✟8,756.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Crazy Liz, I don't think we are ever faced with a situation where our best option is a "lesser evil" of sin. Sin is acting contrary to God's will, and I believe that if God has something that He doesn't want us to do in a situation, He also has something that He wants us to do. The other possibility (which I don't really consider possible) is that God could be ambivalent about some situation, but I don't think you'll find support in scripture for the idea that God sometimes "just doesn't care."

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have not read all the posts in this thread i will admit this right away. It seems to me that the OP is trying to put things in black and white. The reality of this is life is not black and white there are shades of gray.

The realisation of this is called wisdom. WHich is gained by experience. By the very gift of life that God gave us.

There is third option instead of lying and it's to stay silent.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
TSIBHOD said:
Crazy Liz, I don't think we are ever faced with a situation where our best option is a "lesser evil" of sin. Sin is acting contrary to God's will, and I believe that if God has something that He doesn't want us to do in a situation, He also has something that He wants us to do. The other possibility (which I don't really consider possible) is that God could be ambivalent about some situation, but I don't think you'll find support in scripture for the idea that God sometimes "just doesn't care."

Tishbod, when I was your age I thought the same thing. Keep thinking that way as long as you can. If someday you find this rationale doesn't work for you anymore, then PLEASE don't give up on God. :pray:

You might want to try reading Bonhoeffer at that point.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
alexeeah said:
I totally agree with this post!! God is not ever evill, bad or deceitful. He tells you right up front the wages of sin is death. If he has to be faithful to uphold his end of the covenant between us as christians and himself then he has to be faithful to uphold his end of the covenant between sinners and himself. I believe it is Deut 28 that tells of the blessings AND the cursings. God doesn't put the curse up on people people put the curse upon themselves when they disobey God.
Put very well alex and may I add that if God is deceitful and lies then you have to say he sins.

Galatians 5:22-23, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
The fruit of the Spirit that God gives us has no decietfulness or sin. If God has this in him he would also pass it off onto us yet lieing and deceit is not apart of the fruits of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
TSIBHOD said:
I've read The Cost of Discipleship. What is it that changed your mind?

Read Ethics, Letters and Papers from Prison and a biography or two. What did he think about lying as a member of the Abwehr and about conspiring to kill Hitler?

Or you might want to do a Google search or search some academic databases for the name "Bonhoeffer" and the phrase "responsible action."

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Not only would I lie.
I wouldn't confess it as sin, because I believe at that time it would be sin to lie.
Because the laws are for man, not man for the laws.

Doesn't it say in the bible, it is ok to steal some food if you "need" it, as long as you pay it back 7 fold, or something like that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
SUNSTONE said:
Also God Himself sent decieving spirits to a kings advisors, in order to trick the king.
That is the story in 1 Kings 22 however did God really send the spirit and was it Gods intention to decieve?

Upvote 0

alexeeah

Jun 18, 2004
✟854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
nephilimiyr said:
That is the story in 1 Kings 22 however did God really send the spirit and was it Gods intention to decieve?
Well I read this story and from what I gather the Lord didn't send the lying spirit. The lying spirit just came to God and said "I will lie to him" and God said "Okay go do it then" so just as in the book of Job it was the evil spirit that did the lying not the Lord. (1 Kings 22:22)

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
alexeeah said:
Well I read this story and from what I gather the Lord didn't send the lying spirit. The lying spirit just came to God and said "I will lie to him" and God said "Okay go do it then" so just as in the book of Job it was the evil spirit that did the lying not the Lord. (1 Kings 22:22)
And that's what I would say also ;)

Upvote 0

alaskamolly

Queen of the Tundra
Jul 17, 2004
The Great North
Visit site
✟1,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I just can't stay away from this thread!

Urgh...

I'll just try to keep it brief...I don't have time for this!
^_^

Well, let's try that out another way.

(This is hypothetical, of course :) , but I think you'll see it helping to show our point)...

Bill Clinton says, "Man, boys, I really want to get rid of Bob. He drives me nuts. Anyone got any ideas how we can dump that loser?"

Bill Clinton has an employee that says, "Yeah, I got an idea. Let me go knock the guy's block off. That oughta get rid of him for good, dontcha think?"

And Clinton said, "Yeah--that's a good idea, and that'll work. Go do it."

Well, would the responsibility lie soley on the employee? Or would you say that some of the responsibility was on the head of Clinton--the employer who suggested coming up with an idea, approved the idea, and sent forth his employee to carry OUT the idea?

And understand that I'm NOT comparing God to Bill Clinton. I just used Clinton becuase most of us can't stand him, and it's easy to see that he's responsible for something like that.

Now take that same logical reasoning you used to find Clinton partly responsible (or soley, if you found him totally responsible), and use it over in 1 Kings 22.

Read the whole passage (1 Kings 22:20-22).

GOD asked for someone to go persuade King Ahab, and GOD picked and commissioned the spirit who said he'd go lie. You CANNOT seperate God from this action. It's logical suicide.

The spirit lied, sure, but WHO SENT THE LIAR? WHO APPROVED IT? WHO GAVE HIM THE COMMAND TO GO AND TELL THE LIE?

God said to the spirit, "Go forth, and do so."

Sounds pretty point blank to me. ALL lying cannot be ALWAYS ungodly, or our God would not have commissioned someone to do so.

Blessings,
Molly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hola

Jul 8, 2004
✟1,721.00
Faith
Christian
I've read through the whole thread up to this point, (except I didn't read every post all the way through on some of the long ones).

I believe that it's wrong to lie. Even when one is confronted to deny Christ for the sake of some one else's life.

I don't recall Jesus even lying to the Pharisees or any other enemy of the gospel...even before those at his trial before his crucifixion.

Jesus didn't lie even to his accusers...

Yes, he died to save others, so he wasn't concerned about his own life or even lying. But he still didn't lie then or before that to his enemies, I can only recall him only telling the truth in any circumstance that I've read.

When did Jesus ever tell a lie, even to his enemies?

Even to Satan, he told him the truth when he was in the wilderness at Satan's attempt to tempt him.

I don't recall God ever telling a lie; no, not once.

And as someone else has posted...we know that Satan is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44)...not God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.