Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This picture is floating around Facebook lately and a young niece of mine has been posting it on her wall periodically. It makes me cringe every time I see it. I'm not in a position to just jump in and debate the doctrinal errors, but would like to post some short videos or pictures that clarify the truth so that she will get it in her news feed. She's being raised in a world of liberalism, prosperity gospel, and Vinyard Pagan (and I'm quite serious when I say Pagan) charismatic practices, so she's got some pretty messed up ideas from her mother. I need to be careful how I respond so that she won't just run and hide from mean fundamentalist auntie.

Here's the picture:

393209_10151187444992355_477011198_n.jpg

So, if anyone has links to some helpful short videos or pictures that I can share on my timeline, that would be a huge help. I'm looking for things that won't be hugely argumentative or too long to hold her attention, just some things to hopefully get her thinking. Thanks in advance!

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can't stand Charismatic/Pentecostalism either.
Yeah, I can't stand what this stuff does to people. It breeds a false kind of temporary happy feeling (for anyone, unbelievers included), but ultimately breeds despair because it does not sanctify or edify, but instead puts tremendous pressure on the individual to "just have enough faith". Horrid stuff.

I really dislike pictures of Christ in general and the message is just horrifying. It reminds me of the vision General Booth had.

William Booth's Vision of the Lost - YouTube

My feelings exactly. It portrays Christ as a wimpy desperate guy who just needs your help so much. Puke.

I did find a picture that says "Salvation is not for a sick man who needs a doctor, but for a dead man who needs a miracle". So that's a start.

Upvote 0
O

Orange_County_Chopper

My feelings exactly. It portrays Christ as a wimpy desperate guy who just needs your help so much. Puke.

You nailed it :thumbsup:. I've been figuring out all this time why I disliked the Jesus of Pentecostals/Charismatics, and you summed it up!!

He is the King of King and Lord of Lords for whom EVERY knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus is LORD. and He certainly is in need of NOTHING.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Just watched it. Thanks.

gmm4j, does it help you understand our point of view a little better? For us, I'm referring to those who believe in the sovereign grace of God, the idea that God isn't able to accomplish His will is very close to heresy. For the second and third generations after the Reformation they would call it heresy.

jm

Upvote 0

gmm4j

Jul 22, 2012
SC
✟2,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey JM,

I would love to respond, but I've already been reprimanded for posting opposing views in this section. However, I can say this in harmony with you, "I absolutely believe in the sovereign grace of God and that His will is always and will ultimately be accomplished."

It is only the means (the system) by which His grace and will is realized, on which we disagree. That it is all God - For Him and by Him, there is no doubt. It is only in Him that we live, and move, and have our being. To God alone be the Glory!

Blessings

Upvote 0