Would you get married if you couldn't use birth control?

R

RobinRedbreast

Yes. Personally, we still use the *ahem* pull-out method. We know the risks, but we also recognize that God will never give us more than we can handle. If I get pregnant, then it is clear that God knows we can handle it!

Your statement is contradictory. If you truly believed God wouldn't let you get pregnant if it was more than you could handle, you wouldn't be pulling out.

To answer the main question: As I said in WD, NO - I would not get married if we could not use birth control because I would not doom my husband to a sexless marriage, it wouldn't be fair to him.

I happen to know for a fact that you can get pregnant even if you are not able to handle it, because it has happened to me and it created a nightmare out of my life and still does to this day.

God gave me the common sense to use birth control as far as I'm concerned if I'm not ready for children. He's not up there controlling my life like a puppet master, He's up there shaking his head when I make poor decisions but allowing me to make them anyway because that's the nature of free will.

DH and I are committed to being child-free.

Upvote 0

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your statement is contradictory. If you truly believed God wouldn't let you get pregnant if it was more than you could handle, you wouldn't be pulling out.
Not really because I feel like if I went any farther I'd do it with the intention of testing God, which at the time I decided I wasn't going to do. I wanted to keep the situation as a faith-based thing and not a test-based thing.

Upvote 0
R

RobinRedbreast

So what you're saying is, you use your common sense and pull out to avoid pregnancy... :D You didn't help your situation when you tried to clarify, you only proved my point.

Well, I use my common sense and use birth control. To do anything else would be testing God :p Not to mention I'd end up very pregnant :D

I'm just gonna leave it at this, touchy subject is touchy. Take care~

Upvote 0

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what you're saying is, you use your common sense and pull out to avoid pregnancy... :D You didn't help your situation when you tried to clarify, you only proved my point.

Well, I use my common sense and use birth control. To do anything else would be testing God :p Not to mention I'd end up very pregnant :D
To you it would be testing God. I really think it's a heart matter. If eventually you came to a point where you developed so much faith in this particular area of God's power that you were able to give up birth control without ever even considering it like testing God, then it would be completely different.

I use common sense, of course, but I choose to rely on God to help make sure that I do not become impregnated. It really isn't as contradictory as it sounds, especially when it does come down to a heart matter -- which it does.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, I have too high of a sex drive NOT to have sex (not alot of self control either lol) and my significant other also has too high of a sex drive so even if I could go without sex, I love him too much to torture him with a sexless marriage....So I'll go ahead and say I'll still get married even if I couldn't use birth control.

My faith will go into NFP and quite possibly the pull and pray method :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I cross-posted this in Women's Discussion, but I thought it would be interesting to compare a different demographic. Would you get married if birth control was not an option? What's your reasoning?

For the sake of the question, we'll say that the restriction applies both to you and your would-be spouse and that birth control includes things like condoms, FAM, sterilization, etc. as well as the more common methods.
Um... that question makes no sense to me.
Why on earth would you not marry if birth control was not an option?

As for my take on Birth Control itself:
I have nothing against birth control that does not harm a human baby.

Upvote 0

ModestGirlsRock

World Changer
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If I was in a relationship clearly heading towards that stage of intimacy and the love was mutual, I might marry later, but I'd still get married regardless if birth control existed because it means I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and I want to give him children. If I didn't love him, I'd take the whole no b.c into account because I wouldn't want to be bound to him through children. Either way, nothing changes that I'm going to save sex for marriage. I guess I'm just ignorant, but when did God ordain that sex outside marriage was okay even if one is not practicing promiscuity or prostitution? I'm sorry, but I'm confused about the views some young adults on here have taken towards sex and what their justifications are for having them.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Their justification is a blatant rejection of the Bible and God's will.
A few live in an intellectually dishonest state where they claim that the Bible doesn't oppose sex outside of marriage... but they can't justify that without making the use language meaningless.

"No... sexual immorality doesn't include sex with someone you are not married to... duh... who says it does?"

:|

Upvote 0

lilphotographer88

Oct 14, 2008
✟7,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I would still get married. Just because we couldn't use extra protection, there is the "pull out" method. And I am in kond of the same boat with dinonum. I really do think that pulling out to prevent is a very good idea, because it still gives God control over it because even if you pull out you can still end up pregnant, and to me that is God's descision there. But at the same time even if you don't pull out you don't necessarily get pregnant, I think that has tons to do with God as well. I've known couples that thought they were ready to have a baby and no matter how hard they tried they could never get pregnant well they just went on and were just happy to be together. They're situation changed and the husband got a huge raise and the wife's salon took off and she opened 3 other stores. About 5 months after all of that happened they were pregnant with twins. The funny thing about all of this is neither of them had any health problems and the doctors were stumped about why they couldn't get pregnant. And I know exactly why.... because God was waiting for them to be financially secure and ready to take on this huge responsibility of caring for a miracle that is completely helpless, God has to trust us that we won't mess up.

So to answer your question... yes I would get married even if there wasn't any form of birth control, because I trust in God! I trust that He wouldn't give me husband and me something we couldn't handle! I believe that He would lead us down a road that would bring us prosperity and stability so that we could eventually have children but I really do trust Him with all of my heart that He is Lord and ruler of everything and wouldn't allow anything to come in our path that would harm us and that we weren't ready for. If we did get pregnant then God must trust us and believe in us! All I can say is I will have 6 children if God thinks I am ready! If He believes in me to do it, then I must be able! Thats my opinion.

EDIT: I just thought of something else... if you think about it, when they didn't have birth control and all they had was the pull out method. Most people had more than 5 children they were huge families, Look at David! He was the 12th son how many daughters did they have? But if David wasn't born who would've killed Goliath? So all I can say is put your trust in God and He will bless you! He listens to your requests! And He knows you better than you know yourself... so He knows if you will be ready or not for a child. Just trust him completely.

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I believe that not wanting potentially 8+ children, or any children, is a valid reason not to have sex. I believe getting married with no intention to have sex at some point is a bit odd, and it probably violates the doctrine of several Christian denominations.

When I first posted this thread way back when, I had had a conversation about how there were times not too long ago when birth control was unavailable due to technology and/or lack of social acceptance. I was wondering how people would react if they lived in such a society. Many people seem to have not gotten this concept, though, although there have been many interesting responses.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think if I lived back in the day when birth control was not available, then of course I would still get married. Society would still have been open to large families and back then, lots of children were needed to help out with the family business (usually farming).

Today's society is not set up for anyone to have a lot of children...they cost far too much if you want to give them everything life has to offer. If I loved the person I'm with but we can't use any form of birth control, if they were okay with it maybe we could have a mostly celibate marriage for the first twenty years, except for during periods when we want to conceive. Then, once I hit menopause, we could do it all the time...haha. I don't really know because I'm already pretty sure I'm not allergic to latex and I there's no reason why I can't take the pill.

Upvote 0