Gardener101

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
✟23,034.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry but I can't believe the STUPIDITY I've seen on this thread. It was okay for God's ancient people but not okay for us?

I don't even consider a 2nd cousin to be a relative.

Good luck finding someone you aren't "related" to. There are going to be a lot of lonely people here if you people really live by your words.
And this is the same dude who accuses me of having negative vibes.

Go figure. :doh:

Upvote 0

Gardener101

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
✟23,034.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Who did Cain and Abel have sex with?

Either their mum, or their sister (I don't know if Eve had girls).

And anyway, wasn't Cain banished to a life of aimless wandering? Yet we are later given names of his lineage.

*scratches head*

Someone, please tell me.

:pray:

Upvote 0

Gardener101

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
✟23,034.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Adam and Eve must have had other children not mentioned.

Thanks for trying Radhead. I will certainly have a lot of questions to ask God or one of his angels when the time is right.

I wish the Bible was more.....oh I don't know....helpful with such intriguing questions. :doh:

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm gonna get a lot of heat from this. But I'm just curious, and I'm serious. Would you date your second cousin, whom you never see? Do we take our family tree a little to far? Do you think God despises this?

Seriously, if you want to flame me, IDC, I'm asking a serious question to I hope, a group of mature Christians.

I would date my first cousin, if I didn't know her at all/etc.

JM
(as long as family weren't too much of a hassle)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No.
And, it's not about genes.
A family is a family... even in a hypothetical case that she is adopted.

I agree with that. But with the current status of families (and mine isn't quite that bad), I could imagine people not putting their first cousins even in the family box.

I don't put my second cousins in the family box. I haven't ever met most of them, nor their parents.

JM

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bottom line, the OP didn't want answers, he wanted justifications for the perversion of dating a family member.

Coach

I don't consider any of my second cousins family. Also, second cousins marrying eachother use to be very common. It is most often only first cousins that are looked at as bad.

JM

Upvote 0

awashinlove

all encompassingly. ~Mitch Hedberg
Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
✟10,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Eck. I'm sorry, I suppose it's a cultural thing, but I would have issues if my SO and I whipped out our respective family albums and saw the same people there. :| I really prefer to shoot a little farther back in the family tree. But does God despise it? I think when scripture is unclear, it's just between you and the Big G. If you're walking with Him and seeking Him, you'll figure it out.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Eck. I'm sorry, I suppose it's a cultural thing, but I would have issues if my SO and I whipped out our respective family albums and saw the same people there. :| I really prefer to shoot a little farther back in the family tree. But does God despise it? I think when scripture is unclear, it's just between you and the Big G. If you're walking with Him and seeking Him, you'll figure it out.
First cousins are permissible according to Scripture. Not that I personally advocate that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gardener101

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
✟23,034.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't consider any of my second cousins family. Also, second cousins marrying eachother use to be very common.
JM

I heard it's very common in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, mainly among the Muslim community though.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to be a broken record but since this came up again....all the research available says that any couple beyond cousins has no more of a genetic risk than the general population.

She's right, I wouldn't do it only because its illegal in my state for us to marry.

But I don't have any problems with it if you date your second cousin. I see no harm in it.

Society has just fear mongered incest into people that they think if they date someone closer then their 10th cousin their babies are going to have 3 arms and 4 legs.

Beyond 3rd degree relatives it is safe.

Upvote 0