Dec 8, 2007
✟833,616.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is no choice. All we have is bread and wine to symbolize the flesh and blood. What we are allowed to partake of is bread and wine in this particular ceremony.
NCE

Well, obviously there is...considering that the majority of Christians belong to churches that believe in the Real Presence.

Thanks Albion, indeed there is. Not only are they in the minority, but it is a recent innovation (probably introduced by Zwingli) ... How ever did Christianity survive for 1500 years with worship centering around the very body and blood of our Lord if they (we) are in such a grievous error?

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
NCE

Well, obviously there is...considering that the majority of Christians belong to churches that believe in the Real Presence.

A real spiritual presence doesn't change that bread and wine are consumed not flesh and blood. That is proven by the fact that Christ was not bleeding nor missing any of his flesh at that first communion. I agree that it wasn't just bread and wine, that it was spiritually enhanced and continues that way to this day.

As per the OP, would you eat a literal piece of Jesus' body?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A real spiritual presence doesn't change that bread and wine are consumed not flesh and blood.
All you are giving us is your personal opinion about that--one that is shared by only a minority of Christians and none of the largest denominations.

Therefore, we accept that this is what you believe.

That is proven by the fact that Christ was not bleeding nor missing any of his flesh at that first communion.
Well, we have already covered that point made in the OP where it was simply a proposition given to us for our reactions. No church actually believes that, so there is not much point in rebutting it.

I agree that it wasn't just bread and wine, that it was spiritually enhanced and continues that way to this day.
"Spiritually enhanced?"

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Albion, indeed there is. Not only are they in the minority, but it is a recent innovation (probably introduced by Zwingli) ... How ever did Christianity survive for 1500 years with worship centering around the very body and blood of our Lord if they (we) are in such a grievous error?

Exactly! When we take the elements we are taking as it were Christ in us at every Mass not a mere symbol

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
From the Lutheran Confessions:

"We believe, teach, and confess that the body and blood of Christ are received with the bread and wine, not only spiritually by faith, but also orally; yet not in a Capernaitic, but in a supernatural, heavenly mode, because of the sacramental union;" - Epitome of the Formula of Concord, Article VII, 15

The key word here is "Capernaitic". A word that might at first seem confusing, but it refers to situation which took place in Capernaum as recorded in John chapter 6. Here Christ says that whoever eats His flesh and drinks His blood shall have everlasting life, it was at this point that many turned away for this was a "hard saying". Thus here Capernaitic refers to the idea that the consuming of Christ's flesh and blood is a cannibalistic act.

We are not sawing off a chunk of Christ's flesh from a limb and consuming it; that is simply not what we, or any Christian down through the ages, has believed. But rather our confession is that Jesus Christ is truly bodily present here "in and under" these elements of bread and wine, and thus whoever partakes of these partakes not of mere bread and wine, but of the very flesh and blood of Christ.

Those who would charge us with cannibalism are like those who turned away from Christ; but we must instead be like those who remained, knowing that His word is our hope and salvation. And so when He says this bread is His flesh, and this wine is His blood we are beholden, by faith, to receive these very things as what He says they are. And so we receive very Jesus Christ here, in and under, these meager signs of bread and wine; not a symbol of Him, not a figure of Him, but He Himself, the very Son of God who became flesh, suffered, died, was buried, and rose again. It is this very Jesus which we meet and receive here in His Supper, in the fullness of Himself, the one God-Man, body, soul, and divinity: Jesus Christ our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If Jesus ascended to Heaven in bodily form, how did we obtain His flesh and blood?

I'd double check the documentation.

We are talking of Christ who fills all things. Ephesians 1:23

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No.

Christ has given us His flesh and blood to consume in the context of the Liturgy and Eucharist that He has given to us. In no other context will I believe that it is His flesh and blood.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟833,616.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No.

Christ has given us His flesh and blood to consume in the context of the Liturgy and Eucharist that He has given to us. In no other context will I believe that it is His flesh and blood.

I disagree; we have no instruction from our Lord regarding this. We do not know when or even if the consecrated elements cease to be Christ's body and blood. Such is why we traditional Lutherans will consume all of the remaining consecrated wine as do the Catholic Church, and while most Lutheran Churches do not have "Tabernacles" where the remaining bread is reserved for later use, some do store it separately from the un-consecrated bread, others like my Church, will consume immediately following distribution.

Now, you may indeed be right; but we have no indication that such is the case; however Scripture does say "drink you all of it in remembrance of Me".

Likewise, there is no instruction regarding reserving it for later distribution to the sick and shut-ins as is done by the Catholic Church, some Lutheran Synods, and some Anglican traditions.

I recall the rhetorical question being asked in Catechism Class; what happens if a mouse get's into the Tabernacle or cupboard where the Consecrated host is being reserved and eats some of the consecrated host. Is the mouse so holy that we we should not trap and kill the mouse? What if the Church burns; what if evil persons break in, steal it, and use it in a profane manner to blaspheme our Lord?

If we err (and I do not believe that we are) we do so on the side of cautious reverence.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
there is a chunk of raw flesh and a glass of blood in front of you. You are given documentation authenticating it as Christ's actual flesh and Christ's actual blood and given permission that you may do as you wish with them. What do you do?

Nothing apart from:bye:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums