Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
We are thinking of getting married at 11 am on a Saturday morning. I don't like the whole supper, dance idea. I was thinking to have treats, maybe a potluck style at the church after the ceremony. Then, when that is all over, FH and I will go have our pictures done in the afternoon...

The other idea is a ceremony at 6:30 pm, followed by a dance... but I don't really think so.

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm yes. . .

Look honey I'm a Lutheran, we LIVE by potluck dinners. . . My church must host at least one a month.

But honestly if I was going to that wedding I would think that was cheap.

And trust me I've been to receptions where we sat on park benchs inside a VFW, we still didn't do a potluck.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
We are thinking of getting married at 11 am on a Saturday morning. I don't like the whole supper, dance idea. I was thinking to have treats, maybe a potluck style at the church after the ceremony.

About a hundred years ago when I was young, this was simply how it was "done" in rural areas: The churchwomen brought covered dishes for any church event be it wedding, funeral, or Sunday School picnic. You provide the punch and the wedding cake. This differed from the urban traditional "reception" in that farm families generally have to travel miles to come to anything, so sending them home unfed would be as unthinkable as expecting one family to provide a hearty meal for the whole community.

The urban version was to follow the wedding with "finger-food": petit fours, cucumber sandwiches, tarts, hors d'ouvres, all set out on trays around the church hall; with your mother and mother-in-law pouring tea while the guests all circulate. This is, in fact, what a "reception" is; the modern post-wedding hotel dance-party has borrowed the term for something relatively modern and quite different. You don't serve a full meal because in general people don't have far to go home. You provide the finger-food, punch, and wedding cake (and even champagne if you want to) and you can still have speeches if you like.

And, among many traditional middle-class Canadian families of an English heritage, that's still the standard and large wedding dances are considered vulgar.

Reactions: Carrye
Upvote 0

catofhope

Cathy loves her husband Randy
Dec 19, 2006
✟29,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are thinking of getting married at 11 am on a Saturday morning. I don't like the whole supper, dance idea. I was thinking to have treats, maybe a potluck style at the church after the ceremony. Then, when that is all over, FH and I will go have our pictures done in the afternoon...

The other idea is a ceremony at 6:30 pm, followed by a dance... but I don't really think so.

About a hundred years ago when I was young, this was simply how it was "done" in rural areas: The churchwomen brought covered dishes for any church event be it wedding, funeral, or Sunday School picnic. You provide the punch and the wedding cake. This differed from the urban traditional "reception" in that farm families generally have to travel miles to come to anything, so sending them home unfed would be as unthinkable as expecting one family to provide a hearty meal for the whole community.

The urban version was to follow the wedding with "finger-food": petit fours, cucumber sandwiches, tarts, hors d'ouvres, all set out on trays around the church hall; with your mother and mother-in-law pouring tea while the guests all circulate. This is, in fact, what a "reception" is; the modern post-wedding hotel dance-party has borrowed the term for something relatively modern and quite different. You don't serve a full meal because in general people don't have far to go home. You provide the finger-food, punch, and wedding cake (and even champagne if you want to) and you can still have speeches if you like.

And, among many traditional middle-class Canadian families of an English heritage, that's still the standard and large wedding dances are considered vulgar.

I don't consider it cheap.
I think potluck and/or finger food is just fine. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
I know of a wedding at 10:30 am this Saturday and they are having a potluck style kind of reception at 1:30 pm with only finger food and treats in her parents' backyard, and her parents did something similiar. I don't know, but I just find that so many people lose the meaning of the day. I am not working, I don't have support from my mom and stepdad (let alone financial support)... Anyways, I wouldn't be asking all guests to bring food for our reception when I said potluck, I guess between myself and a few friends, we could provide all of the food. Where it's going to be noon time there's not really a need for a full course meal, as if it were supper time. I know that my mom went to an evening wedding, followed by a dance and all they had was pretzels and chips, my mom and stepdad were not impressed with that...

I am not particularly sure how many people we will be expecting... that's another reason I'd like to avoid the whole supper/dance thing because you would really need an exact number for that. My mom had the wedding, supper, dance--the full deal back in 2002, and by the time they had the dance no one was around to enjoy their live band...

My parents divorced when I was 6 and my mom's not supportive of me being engaged, but my dad's whole family is excited and unfortunately, I'm kind of stuck, my mom doesn't want me having anything to do with his family pretty much... and then she says that she wouldn't come to my wedding, then she says she would be mad if she wasn't invited... so I don't know!

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Not everyone wants the same thing.

I have NO interest in a big reception and certainly NO dance.

I prefer to keep it simple myself.
Sounds familiar!
I feel that we will be able to invite everyone we want this way. If we were to do something more expensive, I am sure we would choose our guests and all that, I don't want to leave anyone out, whoever wants to come, should and can.

We have May 24, 2008 in mind and we don't want to wait any longer, it's been talked about. We haven't met with the church yet so we may have to decide on another date, but I don't think we'll really wait much longer, because I never wanted to be engaged for a long time and it's the final step for me.

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Not everyone wants the same thing.

I have NO interest in a big reception and certainly NO dance.

I prefer to keep it simple myself.
Sounds familiar!
I feel that we will be able to invite everyone we want this way. If we were to do something more expensive, I am sure we would choose our guests and all that, I don't want to leave anyone out, whoever wants to come, should and can.

We have May 24, 2008 in mind and we don't want to wait any longer, it's been talked about. We haven't met with the church yet so we may have to decide on another date, but I don't think we'll really wait much longer, because I never wanted to be engaged for a long time and it's the final step for me.

Upvote 0

Shannie

Sep 8, 2006
Canada
✟15,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A wedding is just one day, granted a very special and exciting one, but really its about the marriage which will be for the rest of your life. If that's what you and your fiance want to do, go for it.

Confession: I'm not engaged so take my input with a grain of salt :) Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butterfly

Tins the Chocoholic
Apr 4, 2004
Hugging a cat and eating chocolate
✟105,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Do you think people will really care whether it's gourmet salad or home made salad? Nope.

For my wedding (in 2 weeks (!!) ) I am having a 12:30 ceremony, with a reception immediately following that. For the food I am ordering about 4 platters of meat and cheese and of course rolls to go with it, and then I am asking various friends and family to make things I know I like, and they are thrilled to be doing that. Of course, every situation is different, but I know that the people at my reception won't be hurt. There are going to be a few different kinds of salads, meat and cheese platters, various desserts, and of course you can't forget the punch :)

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Do you think people will really care whether it's gourmet salad or home made salad? Nope.

For my wedding (in 2 weeks (!!) ) I am having a 12:30 ceremony, with a reception immediately following that. For the food I am ordering about 4 platters of meat and cheese and of course rolls to go with it, and then I am asking various friends and family to make things I know I like, and they are thrilled to be doing that. Of course, every situation is different, but I know that the people at my reception won't be hurt. There are going to be a few different kinds of salads, meat and cheese platters, various desserts, and of course you can't forget the punch :)
Cool!
My mom has an awesome light up punch fountain, it was used at my birthday party, which had 70 or more people and only cake to eat, no one seemed to mind that.

Well, my mom was invited to a May 24 wedding today! eek! We are meeting with my church's pastor on Sept. 6--finally!

Upvote 0

klynnmiller

Cry out to Jesus!
Nov 17, 2006
Indiana
✟10,602.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good greif!!! It's your wedding and your day!!! Do it however you want!!!

My fiance and I were going to have a "picnic in the park" type theme for ours with fried chicken and potato salad and such with picnic tables, a volleyball net and a softball game! (We decided to do the more traditional thing because our kids of all people wanted the dinner and the dance.)

Anyway, if people are offended, than maybe they don't need to be there. It's your day and you should do it however you want! Your wedding should NOT have to cost $20,000 for it the be your special day! The people who love you will love you whether you go casual or formal. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. It's your wedding, and it sounds like your the one paying for it, so do it your way!

There's something kind of quaint and sweet with the "home town" type wedding. I think it's a lovely idea!

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Awesome!
Thanks for your input. All of my friends I have talked to have been great and think that it is an awesome idea! I just think we would be able to use the money we save on a house, car, maybe even honeymoon...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cakes&buttercream

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
USA
✟32,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is my idea:

I am a Bridal Consultant and I would stick with the 6 30 pm idea. However, make it just a dessert/cake & bar/punch reception. This cuts down on expense not to mention at 6 30pm this scenario would be totally appropriate. Just make sure to state that you are having a cake/punch reception after the ceremony on your wedding invitations so no one is expecting a full/sitdown meal. (this is my favorite type of wedding, less grief, less time spending on making decisions on food, more time to spend with family and friends, yada yada...):thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mrscplus

Jul 8, 2007
Toronto
✟8,162.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We were married at 11:00 am on a saturday, had a lunch with a few speaches, and then left the reception at 4 pm. It was lovely, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. No one had to take a hotel, nor did we have to worry about guests driving home; late, intoxicated or both.

As for the potluck, I think it's a great idea. No one cooks like chuch ladies, and what a great way for everyone who will offer to help, be able to.

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
We were married at 11:00 am on a saturday, had a lunch with a few speaches, and then left the reception at 4 pm. It was lovely, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. No one had to take a hotel, nor did we have to worry about guests driving home; late, intoxicated or both.

As for the potluck, I think it's a great idea. No one cooks like chuch ladies, and what a great way for everyone who will offer to help, be able to.
Thanks! Nice to hear that it went so well for you. We're now considering an evening wedding as well with a reception at a different location, not at the church... I am really open to ideas though... I still do not plan on having a supper though, that is out of the question.

Upvote 0

JayCeeGirl

I'm done.
Nov 26, 2006
✟8,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Before you make any firm plans, you might call around a bit to different sites and caterers to get a better feel for the cost of a sit down dinner or even just hor d'ourves. Sometimes it is worth it to pay a little more and not have all the stress. When I got married, I discovered I could buy roses for less than a dollar a stem at a nearby flower mart. I figured I could just buy a ton the day before and arrange centerpieces that night. It would have saved me a few hundred bucks, but I really didn't have the time to do that the day before and I definitely didn't want to pull an all nighter on my wedding eve. I decided to just have my florist do them so I wouldn't have to worry about it. And it was way way way less stress. I had enough things to worry about the night before like the rehersal and decorating and all that fun stuff.

I suppose my general advice would be to do whatever you can ahead of time on your own like invitations, favors, various site decorations, and things like that. Ebay is a great resource. :) Anything that needs to ne the be done the day of or the night before, (if its just too pricey to hire a professional) try to delegate to someone you absolutely know will do a good job and can be relied on!!

Right now you still have a good amount of time left to plan, so explore all your options. Don't be afraid to change your mind either!!

Also, to echo what others have said... it is your day and your wedding, so don't feel bad if what you want to do is different from what others had in mind. When they get married, then they can do whatever they want.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that it sounds like a great idea. There does not seem to be anyone in your environment who directly upsets. "cheap" means : I didn't spend much money on it. It's not an ugly classification. *W* You can use frugal if you want to. I had a frugal wedding (aside from the food which my mother insisted on arranging and paying for), otherwise I would have had the same form of potluck dinner that you envision: me and a few friends making sure there is fingerfood.
Another idea are lasagne's or something easy. Your marriage is about celebrating your commitment with your husband before God in the presence of family and friends. Nowhere is it written that it must be about chicken and salmon and a white tablecloth.
I had a lot of things done for me by family, friends or churchladies, from the flowers in the church, to renting the parish hall, the flowers at the reception, the singing, etc. It made for a magnificent wedding that didn't look 'cheap' in the wrong sense at all.

Everyone has gone to a dozen weddings that are exactly the same: ceremony, reception, speeches, dance, go home after 20 songs on the dancefloor. To have something different might even make your wedding that much more special and create some wonderful memories.
We WALKED to Church in group with our guests, afterwards people kept saying how wonderful that was, how much fun it is, how they still talk about doing that.

Upvote 0