Would plagues like corona virus exist if mankind were honoring the Word (Law) of God?

Does mankind suffer disease as a consequence for rebellion?

• Yes many diseases could be avoided simply by honoring the Word of God

• No, pretty much all the same diseases would befall mankind no matter what

• I don't know - never thought about it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The context refers to the Ten Plagues of Egypt, which were supernatural. Egypt was struck with them because Pharaoh refused to let Israel go.
But, but, how can we apply this to gentiles today having to keep the law if we keep being biblical? :)

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That would be the old covenant. (Phewww. You had me pinned there for a minute.)

The old covenant is a type and shadow of the new. All of that law that was written on stone, is now written on the hearts of those in covenant. It's harder to be stiff necked, and just walk on by, that way.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Exodus 15:26 He said, "If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."

Does God mean to tell us that such plagues as the corona virus would not be allowed to oppress mankind if we were honoring His Word instead of seeking various forms of rebellion?
I guess Paul and Trophimus were law-breakers. Timothy must have been a total ratbag, sick all the time. I don't understand how God could use a law breaker like Paul to write most of the New Testament - if your premise is correct.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 15:26 He said, "If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."

Does God mean to tell us that such plagues as the corona virus would not be allowed to oppress mankind if we were honoring His Word instead of seeking various forms of rebellion?

40 years after that Exodus 15 statement we have this statement by Moses --

Deut 7: 12 “Then it shall come to pass, because you listen to these judgments, and keep and do them, that the Lord your God will keep with you the covenant and the mercy which He swore to your fathers. 13 And He will love you and bless you and multiply you; He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your land, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flock, in the land of which He swore to your fathers to give you. 14 You shall be blessed above all peoples; there shall not be a male or female barren among you or among your livestock. 15 And the Lord will take away from you all sickness, and will afflict you with none of the terrible diseases of Egypt which you have known

Deut 29: 5 And I have led you forty years in the wilderness. Your clothes have not worn out on you, and your sandals have not worn out on your feet. .

I guess Paul and Trophimus were law-breakers. Timothy must have been a total ratbag, sick all the time. I don't understand how God could use a law breaker like Paul to write most of the New Testament - if your premise is correct.

My OP is a quote of a text and a question.

Your premise seems to be that instead of my "if mankind were honoring God's Word" -- you assume it could be recast into "if one person obeys".

Having said that I do agree with you to at least "some extent" that the 'one person' micro level would probably see at least some benefit.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So... "old covenant no plagues" --- "new covenant of plagues" in your view?

Prostitutes under the old law were stoned until dead.
Jesus suggested they go home and stop being so naughty.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes. So no SDA ever gets sick? All live for 1,000 years as Adam did? Congratulations. You don't need Jesus, you can do it all by following a set of rules. Me, I depend on Lord Jesus. I don't have a problem with the Law because Lord Jesus fulfilled it completely. I enjoy my glorious liberty as a redeemed saint.

Hi Pete I think where your misunderstanding what is being shared here is that the promise from God in EXODUS 15:26 is conditional to believing and following God's Word and the context is to receiving God's judgments (plagues and pestilence) poured out as a penalty for sin. Of course everyone get's naturally sick and dies outside of God's judgements or we would never die. This is the natural course for all mankind. The promise is in context to not receiving God's judgments and plagues which are a punishments for sin (breaking his commandments) for which COVID-19 seems to be a good example.

God bless

Last edited:
Reactions: Cordell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed under the theocracy when God was "king" of the government.

Not something we have today -- but what is your point?

God practiced direct rule with consequences, and doesn't now.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well certainly that is true in terms of "crime and punishment"

But would disease end if were had a spiritual renewal? We can't predict
what would happen if we all became saintly. If we could, then we'd be
back under ye olde covenant.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

40 years after that Exodus 15 statement we have this statement by Moses --

Deut 7: 12 “Then it shall come to pass, because you listen to these judgments, and keep and do them, that the Lord your God will keep with you the covenant and the mercy which He swore to your fathers. 13 And He will love you and bless you and multiply you; He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your land, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flock, in the land of which He swore to your fathers to give you. 14 You shall be blessed above all peoples; there shall not be a male or female barren among you or among your livestock. 15 And the Lord will take away from you all sickness, and will afflict you with none of the terrible diseases of Egypt which you have known

Deut 29: 5 And I have led you forty years in the wilderness. Your clothes have not worn out on you, and your sandals have not worn out on your feet. .
The "perfect" life physically and Spiritually ended with Adam and Eve. We now have an "imperfect" life. As a believer in Jesus Christ of Nazareth we have been "perfected" by Him Spiritually. This is the greater of the two.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The "perfect" life physically and Spiritually ended with Adam and Eve.

True but the Exodus 15 text in the OP comes long after Adam and Eve had died.

As a believer in Jesus Christ of Nazareth we have been "perfected" by Him Spiritually. This is the greater of the two.
Be blessed.

Gal 1:6-9 there has only been "one gospel" according to Gal 1 ... in all of time. And Gal 3:8 says that Gospel "was preached to Abraham". Adam and Eve after the fall - were saved just like we are.

Exodus 15 is not saying "instead of being saved and going to heaven .. you won't get sick in this life ... but then you will go to hell". (And I am not saying that you think that is what it says).

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But would disease end if were had a spiritual renewal? .

We can read God's Word and act on it.

Eph 6:1-2 quotes the 5th commandment - reminding us that it is "the first commandment with a promise" in that still-valid unit of TEN. Notice what the 5th commandment says?

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

yep - Paul dared to quote "that one".

=========== so that's the blessings.

And what about ....

1 Cor 11
-
27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly. 30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep. 31 But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

Rev 16
8 The fourth angel poured out his bowl upon the sun, and it was given to it to scorch men with fire. 9 Men were scorched with fierce heat; and they blasphemed the name of God who has the power over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Eph 6:1-2 quotes the 5th commandment - reminding us that it is "the first commandment with a promise" in that still-valid unit of TEN. Notice what the 5th commandment says?

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

=========== so that's the blessings.

I read that as:
Your parents are smarter than you kid, and the laws they make along with society are created for your protection to keep you alive longer. That's how I've set up all these nations.

Paul was an addict of legalisms.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The context refers to the Ten Plagues of Egypt, which were supernatural. Egypt was struck with them because Pharaoh refused to let Israel go.

In Exodus 15 they are no longer in Egypt - it is not saying 'it used to be this way" but it is a prediction (A promise) about what God would do in the future.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But would disease end if were had a spiritual renewal? .

I read that as:
Your parents are smarter than you kid, .

The point is that not only is the statement made --- but Paul goes out of his way to link it to the TEN - the very thing some modern revisionists would claim is the least useful about it.

One of the attributes of God is that He "does not change" and is the "same yesterday today and forever" ...

Upvote 0