Not open for further replies.

buland

May 3, 2008
✟7,633.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Although I have read the four gospels at least a hundred times each in my lifetime I noticed one verse in Matthew and Luke that I must not have paid the correct attention to before. The verse is Matthew 16:28. It basically alludes that some of the apostles that Jesus is talking to will still be alive to witness his second coming. Though maybe I'm still reading it wrong it seems to be what he is saying. I would just like to get a few peoples opinions on that.

Chickapee

Dec 18, 2006
U.S
✟17,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although I have read the four gospels at least a hundred times each in my lifetime I noticed one verse in Matthew and Luke that I must not have paid the correct attention to before. The verse is Matthew 16:28. It basically alludes that some of the apostles that Jesus is talking to will still be alive to witness his second coming. Though maybe I'm still reading it wrong it seems to be what he is saying. I would just like to get a few peoples opinions on that.
Hi buland , great question :confused: , I to have wondered about this very thing before ..
I wonder if the Till in this verse means they will taste death in Christs reigning ? the word Till maybe very signifigant it sems ?
Jesus tasted Death for every man [Cross] yet these maybe will also be baptized into the same death as Paul speaks of in romans 6 :3 .. I would also like to hear any comments on this as well , thanks bro :) peace C

Matt 16 28Verily I say to you, there are certain of those standing here who shall not taste of death till they may see the Son of Man coming in his reign.'

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

i wonder if this might have to do with revelations or visions some might have had after Jesus' resurrection and that it isn't talking about a literal return to earth.
paul may have seen Christ in all His glory on the road to Damascus and John most definitely saw the glory and revelation of Jesus Christ in Revelation. therefore, maybe the possibility was that someone or several were able to see the forth coming kingdom thru revelations they received before they died. there is also a reference at the end of the gospel of john where peter asks about john and Jesus tells him - "if it is my will that he remain until i come, what is that to you? you follow me." in other words, peter, you just do what you're supposed to do and don't worry about the rest. i think the matthew 16:28 verse might have been about john and the revelation to him, but then again; i'm only speculating.

if His kingdom has been established now, i wouldn't think much of it compared to what is promised in Revelation.

Upvote 0
S

Squnk

There are a couple positions on what Jesus meant. One of the better standing ones is that Jesus was referring to his transfiguration, which happened very shortly after verse 28. Jesus has been speaking about his death, but says they will see Him in His kingdom, which they do at the transfiguration.

But, like I said, there are at least 5 other takes on this verse.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

This appears to refer to the mediatorial kingdom which our LORD was about to set up, by the destruction of the Jewish nation and polity, and the diffusion of the gospel throughout the world. Mat 10:23; Mat 24:3,27-31,42; Mat 26:64; Mar 13:26; Luk 18:8; Luk 21:27,28

Upvote 0

Chickapee

Dec 18, 2006
U.S
✟17,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
from op ...The verse is Matthew 16:28. It basically alludes that some of the apostles that Jesus is talking to will still be alive to witness his second coming.

Where does it say there is a second coming in the Bible?

HI There ... :)

perhaps Benoni , this is the place ?
Jhn 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also.

Jhn 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

First vists was in the Flesh to me the second time is in the Spirit , some have this as an understanding GOD BLESS C

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is interesting is the phrase "son of the man" is not used in any of Paul's epistles and even people asked Jesus who or what the son of the man is.

Anyways, I like Matt 10:23 and I believe this was fulfilled.

Matt 10:23 "Whenever yet they may be chasing/persecuting ye in the city, this, be fleeing into the other.
For Amen I am saying to ye, not no ye should be finishing the cities of the Israel till ever may be coming/elqh <2064> (5632) the Son of the Man".

2 Thessalonians 1:10 when He may be coming/elqh <2064> (5632) to be glorified in His saints, and to be marvelled in all those having Faith that was believed the Testimony of us upon ye in the Day, that

Reve 19:11 And I perceived the heaven having be opened and Lo! A horse, white and the One sitting on it/him being called Faithful and True and in justice He is judging and is battling

("son of man") [Not used one time in all of Paul's epistles. Only in Gospels, Acts 7:56 and Hebrew 2:6, Reve 1:13, Reve 14:14 [one like "son of a man"]
occurs in 193 verses in the KJV

Upvote 0
B

Benoni

from op ...The verse is Matthew 16:28. It basically alludes that some of the apostles that Jesus is talking to will still be alive to witness his second coming.

HI There ... :)

perhaps Benoni , this is the place ?
Jhn 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also.

Jhn 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

First vists was in the Flesh to me the second time is in the Spirit , some have this as an understanding GOD BLESS C

I can read my Bible and I understand what you are saying BUT; He is also returning in many ways; nothing about a second coming anywhere (so why do I always hear speak about a second coming) please lets at least try to use scripture? . He is here now spiritually; He is within us.

In Mk. 13:26 He comes with CLOUDS. In Mat. 24:27 He comes as LIGHTNING. In Rev. 16:15 He comes as a THIEF. In Mat. 25:6 He comes as the BRIDEGROOM. In Rev. 22:16 and 2:28 He comes as the MORNING STAR. In Mal. 4:2 He comes as the SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS ARISING. In Phil. 3:20-21 He comes in RESURRECTION POWER. In II Thes. 1:7-8 He comes in FLAMING FIRE. In Mal. 3:1-3 He comes to His priesthood company as REFINER'S FIRE and FULLER'S SOAP. In I Thes. 4:16-17 He comes IN THE AIR. In Hos. 6:3 and James 5:7-8 He comes as the RAIN. In Rev. 19:11 & 14 He comes on a WHITE HORSE. In Mat. 25:31-34 He comes as KING. In I Pet. 5:4 He comes as the CHIEF SHEPHERD. In Mat. 16:27 He comes WITH HIS ANGELS. In Jude 14 He comes WITH HIS SAINTS. In Jn. 14:18 He comes TO HIS SAINTS. In II Thes. 1:10 He comes IN HIS SAINTS. In Jude 14 & 15 He comes in JUDGMENT. In Rev. 22:12 He comes WITH REWARDS. And time and space fail me to tell of how He comes with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, with the trump of God; He comes to the Mount of Olives; He comes to His temple; He comes in glory; He comes as Lord; He comes in His Kingdom; He comes as seasons of refreshing, etc., etc., etc.

Like a choir of many voices and as the sound of many waters, the testimony of the Word of God resounds with abundant and stunning and inescapable evidence that the coming of Christ is not a single event, but includes many different manifestations. His coming to us is a many-sided experience. To multitudes He appears as Saviour. They find Him at the crossroads of their lives. He becomes their salvation but they never venture any deeper to know Him intimately. They have only a superficial knowledge of Him. To others He appears as Chief Shepherd and Bridegroom. These hear His voice and are moved by His love, and follow on to know Him in deeper measures of intimacy and union. To others He appears as a Thief. He comes into their world uninvited and unannounced, He overtakes them unexpectedly and breaks up their life style and smashes their religious games. And unto others He appears as Fire, consuming their hay, wood, and stubble, eliminating by the spirit of burning all that is of self and not of God. The coming of the Lord is as many-faceted as the most dazzling crystal of earth or the most beautiful diamond known to man. In the Old Testament, the rabbis were often confused by the seeming contradictions in the descriptions of the coming of the Messiah. In some of the passages the Messiah was described as coming as a Suffering Servant to be wounded for transgressions and bruised for iniquities. In other passages He was coming as a Conqueror to rule and to defeat the enemies of the people of God. The people asked their scholars for an answer to this seeming contradiction. The rabbis would often go so far as to say that two Messiahs were coming. They were wrong; the same Messiah was coming twice. But more than that! Yea, a thousand times more! The same Messiah comes five, ten, thirty, ten thousand times, in as many and varied ways and manners as there are dealings and operations of God to bewrought in the lives of men and in the destiny of nations upon this earth. My earnest prayer to God is that the spirit of wisdom and revelation may somehow make forever plain to all who read these halting lines that we have seen too limited a vision of the truth, but bringing all the facets together, there is the fuller view where it readily appears that there are many-splendored dimensions to HIS COMING.

If the coming of the Lord is not a progressive revelation in many manifestations, then, pray tell me, WHICH of the many comings enumerated earlier IS THE SECOND COMING? When He says, "I will not leave you orphans: I WILL COME TO YOU," is THAT "the second coming"? or is it when He declares, "Behold, I COME as a thief?" Or when He says, "I WILL COME unto you as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth," is that manifestation His "second coming"? Or is it when He comes as lightning, or as the sun of righteousness, or as the Bridegroom, or as King, or with His saints, or to His saints, or in His saints? Paul said that Jesus would come with a "shout," also with the "voice of the archangel," and with the "trump of God." Jesus said, "Behold, I come as a thief." Certainly thieves do not blow trumpets and shout! Nor did Jesus blow trumpets when He ascended from the Mount of Olives, yet the messengers said that He would come "in like manner." And it would seem that if He came as rain and as fire at the same time, the rain would put out the fire!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.