Would greatly appreciate some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saelethiel

I need some advice on how to more...politely deal with people who listen to country insisting that I'm satanic because I listen to alternative rock, metal, rock, and indie. Apparently the way I'm going about getting them to believe me when I say I'm not satanic is not working at all. They are also insisting that the music I listen to is filth, and it's rather offensive. Also it is apparently the reason people commit suicide/homicide/genocide etc., is depressing, supports rebellion... It's my stress relief and they're taking that quality away from it. Help?

Even though, of course, a study showed that people who listen to country are more likely to commit suicide (no offense to those who do).

Last edited:

nesichah

Jan 18, 2009
✟8,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I can see how that can be realy frustrating for you.Metal and rock do have a reputation for being satanic so its understandable where they are coming from.Saying that i have friends who are fans of christian death metal groups and their lyrics are ok-ish.

Have you tried making them listen to the music themselves? But this can be difficult if their mind is already made up,since its unlikely they will listen to the lyrics.

Or find someone older than you who sees to fit the country music peoples idea of a decent guy and persuade them to get talking about music together.It could reasure them that a real life flesh and blood person not a statistic,can listen to that music and still be good.

Failing that you could just try and stay out of their way with your music,ie not playing it too loud,or perhaps getting some neutral music,so they dont think you are only into death metal,indie and rock.

Upvote 0
S

Saelethiel

I have actually gotten them to listen to it; every time a song would get halfway through they would run over and turn it off.

None of it is actually bad. Sick, yes, but not satanic or anything. I admit that I am not shy about sharing my opinion on country but I also don't rush over to turn it off and call them evil and satanic (among other things) when they play it. Some of the music I listen to is distasteful (Nine Inch Nail's Closer and possibly Inside the Fire) but only really if you listen to the lyrics. They don't even tolerate stuff like Nothing Else Matters (Metallica).

Maybe it's because country is the mainstream thing around here? (Visiting family in the panhandle...*gag*). I just don't see what the problem is.

Upvote 0

nesichah

Jan 18, 2009
✟8,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know some people may see this as disrespectful but..........

If you are sure your music is not harming you or others in anyway,Stick earphones in and ignore them:D they will get over it,you did try the nice methods

Basicaly the best method is a compromise,but it seems unlikely at this point

My grandparents disaprove of groups like hawknelson or even barlow girl since their not christian enough.Now i see them as pretty decent compared to other stuff I listen to like Pink for example. Around my grandparents on car trips i use earphones and they dont need to know what i am listening to.And at their house i try to repect them by only playing my stuff for 20 min per hour.

Upvote 0
S

Saelethiel

My grandparents disaprove of groups like hawknelson or even barlow girl since their not christian enough.Now i see them as pretty decent compared to other stuff I listen to like Pink for example. Around my grandparents on car trips i use earphones and they dont need to know what i am listening to.And at their house i try to repect them by only playing my stuff for 20 min per hour.

I would do that, as well as the headphones thing, but I can't exactly do that at school and I don't really...have enough respect to do that when they play their stuff all of the time. Especially when they say, "See, this is what you should be listening to". We're not even allowed to listen to music in class anymore because of them complaining about my stuff, not vice versa.

Upvote 0

nesichah

Jan 18, 2009
✟8,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
eeek!! thats could be an issue since your music is good for stress relief

i see a compromise as the way forward.But try and make sure your seeing their point.And i would start reasoning at a point further that where you want to end up

Eg:

I want an afro

But knowing my mom it will go something like this
Me:Can I have an afro
Mom: no

Instead i chose...
Me:Mom can i dye my hair purple,,then get and afro
Mom:your school says no extreme hair styles so NO
Me: but its not extreme,and I will dye it navy,then it will match my uniform
Mom: you can have the navy hair or the afro but not both

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ife88

endless joy, perfect peace
Nov 28, 2008
England
✟8,792.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
you could scare and threaten them by saying you'll use your "satanic powers" to turn them into monkeys :p I joke
lol, but seriously I don't think there's much you can do except keep your music on the down low like wearing earphones, coz it's happening in school as well you said. You're not going to be there forever thankfully. But don't change your music for them

Upvote 0
S

Saelethiel

Hehe... It is either that or I just stop listening to it all together (neither of which sounds pleasant). I don't think they would go for the compromise thing. That was the deal with class, everyone takes a turn listening to the song they want to. That's one song that I like, nine that I don't. Yet, I wasn't the one complaining. Then again they either feel that I'm lower than them or are scared of me, so any kind of deal will be heavily in their favor, not equally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hannabanana

Aug 19, 2009
Here, there, and everywhere.
✟1,148.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have never really been exposed to that much music, but I just don't see how music can influence someone to worship Satan. I mean it is just rhythms , beats, and words. What makes it satanic is the person acting on it and that is a choice of their own. That is like saying listening to only Christian music is the only way you can truly worship God or be saved.

Upvote 0
S

Saelethiel

I have never really been exposed to that much music, but I just don't see how music can influence someone to worship Satan. I mean it is just rhythms , beats, and words. What makes it satanic is the person acting on it and that is a choice of their own. That is like saying listening to only Christian music is the only way you can truly worship God or be saved.

I agree but there are way too many people who view it as true. I can see the reason behind how it can influence someone to worship Satan; people who don't want to deal with all the restrictions that come with being a christian can relate with it. And then all the rage that they express. Seeing that this is the panhandle, most of them would agree with your last statement.

Upvote 0
S

Saelethiel

Aah...compromise...I guess you could always play Weird Al's alternative polka :p You listen to the lyrics you enjoy while they hear the music they love. But other than this silly idea (I'm very cheeky:clap:) the earphone idea is best.

Hehe...this might sound... hippie-ish but they don't really actually LISTEN to the music or feel it for that matter. I'm an Austin native so music is my thing. They just don't get the music I listen to's purpose I don't think.

By the way, that idea is hilarious.

Upvote 0

hannabanana

Aug 19, 2009
Here, there, and everywhere.
✟1,148.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree but there are way too many people who view it as true. I can see the reason behind how it can influence someone to worship Satan; people who don't want to deal with all the restrictions that come with being a christian can relate with it. And then all the rage that they express. Seeing that this is the panhandle, most of them would agree with your last statement.
I understand where you are coming from. A lot of things can influence a persons way of thinking. I have seen this up and close and first hand my entire life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.