The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been away from CF for a while, or you would realise that I'm a rabid Evangelical Calvinist. So, no.

I don’t have a problem with rabid evangelical Calvinists, particularly if their Calvinism extends to Calvinist sacramental theology and if, like Calvin, they believe in traditional worship. ;)

But as a general rule of thumb, I love Calvinists, especially those who don’t want to take away my stained glass windows, my organ and my icons. So, more Church of Scotland, Dutch Reformed or Comgregationalist than Covenanting Presbyterians or some Calvinist Baptists. But I do like Al Mohler, so even there, I find people whose theology I respect.

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t have a problem with rabid evangelical Calvinists

Oh, good! I promise not to bite you!

particularly if their Calvinism extends to Calvinist sacramental theology and if, like Calvin, they believe in traditional worship. ;)

Of course. And the Real Presence too.

But as a general rule of thumb, I love Calvinists, especially those who don’t want to take away my stained glass windows, my organ and my icons.

I love stained glass windows. And I'm pretty sure that the Bible, somewhere towards the back, mandates organs in church.

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you link us to more information on this, like a news article? This is disturbing and I would like to find out more. @MarkRohfrietsch - you are from Canada; without wishing to come across as “that American guy” who assumes every Canadian knows all aboot whatever is happening elsewhere in Canada eh, ;) , perhaps you might have heard of this? Since the traditional morality of the LCMS would likely get it denied funding under such a scheme.

Also do forgive my joke anout Canadian raising; I know it sounds nothing like “aboot.” Actually Canadian raising is a very subtle sound; I can’t imitate it. I also can’t get Australia/NZ vowell shifts right. :sigh:
Ahh, about voting against conscience .. Mark could probably tell you more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/summer-jobs-program-1.4491602
Under the new rules, applicants must agree — by marking a box on an electronic form — that they respect charter rights, including "women's rights and women's reproductive rights." The office of the employment minister has said without the confirmation, an organization will not receive funding.

Religious organizations — churches, youth camps, aid groups and so forth — that hire students to assist them over the summer are frustrated. That's because many, especially conservative Protestant and Catholic organizations, believe a child in the womb is as valuable as a child born, and they see abortion as immoral. To give assent to abortion, even via a check mark on a government form, betrays their values and conscience.​

What accent?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Can you link us to more information on this, like a news article? This is disturbing and I would like to find out more. @MarkRohfrietsch - you are from Canada; without wishing to come across as “that American guy” who assumes every Canadian knows all aboot whatever is happening elsewhere in Canada eh, ;) , perhaps you might have heard of this? Since the traditional morality of the LCMS would likely get it denied funding under such a scheme.

Also do forgive my joke anout Canadian raising; I know it sounds nothing like “aboot.” Actually Canadian raising is a very subtle sound; I can’t imitate it. I also can’t get Australia/NZ vowell shifts right. :sigh:
No worries. Nothing that I know of so far.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Our rule here is at least two people besides the priest for a Eucharist. I have, however, known that to be ignored.

As to the rest, context is everything. I don't tend to say the office publicly, but that's in part because mornings tend to be times when I can naturally connect with the local community in other ways. I think it's more important, for example, to be doing classroom help at the local school, being seen and known and building relationships outside the parish, than sitting reciting the office with one parishioner (or more likely, none). I've found that I tend not to get a congregation for special midweek Eucharists (my usual little Wednesday morning gathering aside).
With us; only one other. When Pastor takes the Eucharist to a shut-in, often times it is just he and the person. We do not take preconsecrated elements to the sick or shut-in (for a number of reasons); it is always Consecrated in the context of the Divine Service.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Under the new rules, applicants must agree — by marking a box on an electronic form — that they respect charter rights, including "women's rights and women's reproductive rights." The office of the employment minister has said without the confirmation, an organization will not receive funding.

Religious organizations — churches, youth camps, aid groups and so forth — that hire students to assist them over the summer are frustrated. That's because many, especially conservative Protestant and Catholic organizations, believe a child in the womb is as valuable as a child born, and they see abortion as immoral. To give assent to abortion, even via a check mark on a government form, betrays their values and conscience.​

What accent?
Wow... I had no idea. I guess we have been reverse discriminated; again. Our prime minister is a poor excuse for a leader; he is a spoiled suck who was born in to a family of great advantage, and bullies his way in everything that he touches without any application of logic.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

What accent?

Thank you. The intent there is sinister, but the implementation is absurd, since the rights they refer to are not defined in the charter. Nonetheless, it is chilling.

• Agree
Reactions: jahel
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Wow... I had no idea. I guess we have been reverse discriminated; again. Our prime minister is a poor excuse for a leader; he is a spoiled suck who was born in to a family of great advantage, and bullies his way in everything that he touches without any application of logic.

I miss your former PM. He was a member of the Christian and Missionary Alliance, which is a likable little denomination, with ties to Wesleyanism IIRC.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,422.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What accent?

Ah, I see.

I have to say, I can see where they're coming from. Why should the government provide funds to groups who undermine human rights?

The implementation might be clumsy, and one might want to quibble about whether or not a particular view does undermine human rights, but the basic intent makes sense to me.

Upvote 0