• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Worried that I might accidentally cause someone to stumble by writing

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So writing seems to be the theme of the year for my ocd. I just cant seem to shake these worries, now I am afraid that if I write a story, no matter how good the message is, somehow I might lead to someone going against their conscience by something unforeseen like what if they have a problem with eating chip, riding in cars, or something else I didn't anticipate and that causes them to go against their conscience because it was in the book? I know this sounds silly but I am seriously concerned. How am I going to avoid doing that in life? Is this a legitmate fear and does anyone have any advice on getting rid of it?

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's a legitimate fear (unless you want to write fairy-tales that drive people away from God for a living) ;). Hope you get over it, maybe by just writing and seeing nothing bad happens you will. But the fact that you are cautious about what you say/write, can be considered a good thing.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jord gave good advice - the best way to work against OCD is to do what it DOESN'T want you to do (in this case, continuing to write). It's good to think about how our writing affects others, but you are not ultimately responsible for how other people respond to your writing, and it's not practical to worry about every single small facet of your writing that might inadvertently cause a negative reaction in others. With OCD, we tend to be hyper-responsible - which means being more responsible than we need to be. Let go a little, and realize that YOU are not ultimately the one in charge - God is, and other people have the final responsibilities for themselves.

Reactions: Ozious
Upvote 0