• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Worried about Fantasy Movies, TV Shows, Action Figures, etc.

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,
I've been mentally running around in circles about whether certain shows are okay, certain movies are okay, etc. I'm not talking about horror movies or X-rated movies, I'm all wrapped up about whether or not I can enjoy Avatar: The Last Airbender due to its heavy reliance on Eastern religions (as one article put it: But because “The Last Airbender” is based on actual practices, and because they are essential to and part of the story, I do not recommend this film or the actual series, which seems even more heavily infused...Fighting (or defensive), physical balance and stretching techniques are one thing, but deliberate movements and practices to invoke the spiritual apart from Jesus is a form of occultism, regardless of the name you give it."). (The article reviews the movie, but the point remains.)

Or another one, Voltron: Legendary Defender (a Netflix cartoon). I loved that show. I have an action figure and a pin from it. But since it involves magic and alchemy (it's a fantasy/sci-fi show) I'm wondering if I can keep my action figure of Voltron, since in the show it's technically fused together with magic/alchemy.

In general, it's hard to tell the difference between being discerning and obsessive thinking. (I haven't tossed my action figure, because I've literally had it for over a year and hardly even thought about it. But part of me is worried that bad things will happen if I keep it.)

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The rule I abide by when it comes to magic is this: Can this be reproduced irl?

In Lord Of The Rings, Gandalf uses magic but it's not something that can be replicated in the real world. His staff responds to his mental commands. So he taps it on the ground and the end of his staff lights up. Or he taps it on the ground and it forms a shield around him. Etc. But if I were to get a big wooden staff and tap it on the ground the way he does, nothing would happen. That type of magic is fictional. It can't be reproduced.

By comparison, I've heard stories of people attempting the spells shown in Harry Potter books and they actually work sometimes. That magic can be replicated irl. It seems "real".

I don't want to make you worry about something unnecessarily. But I also don't want you to take risks if you're not comfortable with having something in your life.

Upvote 0

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
These are all fantasy movies. Eastern religions are all based on superstitions. Harry Potter is fiction. Everything is for entertainment. Just because a person watches them or has a collection of action figures, doesn't mean one becomes a witch riding a broomstick or becomes possessed by some demons or become de-christianized. lol

People should be focusing more on reality. So called Christian churches that have church leaders that are similar to Jim Jones and David Koresh are something that a Christian should watch out for. They harm and kill people. They are the real demons. That's reality and not some Voltron from your childhood. These guys are reading from the Bible and not from a Harry Potter book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0