Akron, Ohio
✟32,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi all, guess I'll post this here, feel free to redirect if not in the right place...

So, if anyone on here knows my story, I was really "on it" with God in the beginning of my walk, but ended up making some mistakes thinking I was doing what He was asking of me when He wasn't and ended up derailing my walk with Him in a way that lead to me being away from Him for the past 8 years...

In that time, I've had several loved ones die, and I feel SO guilty for not being the witness to them that I felt I should have been and even worry that I cost them their salvation by doing so....I feel so discouraged and heartbroken at the thought of this, feel like God is going to judge me if they didn't make it and am just in so much pain over it all that I don't even want to live anymore...how do I deal with this?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do what God's word says to do. I mean, do everything. And each thing can help you with a problem, somehow, plus each thing can help us find out how to love.

By the way, you can take this up in the Christian Living place > in "Requests for Christian Advice".

But here we talk about spiritual discipline and formation; so I plan to talk here about how spiritual maturity and discipline can help us with your concern.

Read God's word. Any part of the Bible can help somehow with any problem, and God can use any scripture to help and feed us how to love.

So, trust God to take care of you, doing His meaning of every scripture with you.

And in any situation God does His good, using any situation for His all-loving purpose. Therefore, love and care about all people; this can help you not to suffer so much about a problem.

Even if something is impossible for you to handle . . . God is already handling it!

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (Matthew 5:46)

So, Jesus wants us to care about all people . . . not only ones who love us or who are in our family.

And 1 Peter 3:1-4 might encourage you that witnessing is not only with talking to people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Campbell
Upvote 0

Jim Campbell

Nov 10, 2023
Hot Springs
✟10,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My comments in parenthesis
1 Corinthians 3:
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
(they worked as a team towards the same goal, building the Church. God assigns ministries, gives spiritual gifts to carry out His goal)

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
(Christians have some sort of ministry responsibility to work, God inspiring each to do their part in ministry. One might tell someone about Jesus, then another Christian explains the gospel better, or gives someone a drink of water, and yet another prays with that person into their being born again. None of us should claim credit for what God does in that fortunate person, God using our efforts. You might have planted a seed in someone before those 8 years. A loved one might have been touched by God to pray a single prayer for you even though they were not a Christian. Many a preacher has ministered and seen many be saved, realizing later they were not really born again then. I was a Sunday school teacher 'against my own will', 4 years later called to Jesus by the Father.)

7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
(None of us can do what God alone can do towards the increase. I lived in a rent house on a large farm where I learned roving families arrived to plant corn seeds. They moved on to the next farms. None of them were concerned about harvest of that crop. They just planted. The next teams arrived to pull weeds that looked to me to be no different from the corn plants. They moved on knowing the farm would be sprayed chemicals they couldn't do. Then came teams to assist with harvest, storage and transport. Christian works are often like that.)
8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
(whatever you added to a loved one or stranger before those 8 years will be rewarded by God. He doesn't take back rewards from Christians, large or small in value of a labor performed for Him.)
9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

(From what you wrote it should be sort of comforting you might have passed up some blessings for skipping some years of labor for the gospel of Christ, but who can evaluate the value of helping someone get born again later? Work towards that goal! Forgive yourself and advance in Christ. That alone likely will make former losses seem like losing a penny on a parking lot then later finding a coin there of great collector value. Some of those loved one might have been reached by someone in your place. It is not your burden to carry, for God gives increases man cannot perform.)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi all, guess I'll post this here, feel free to redirect if not in the right place...

So, if anyone on here knows my story, I was really "on it" with God in the beginning of my walk, but ended up making some mistakes thinking I was doing what He was asking of me when He wasn't and ended up derailing my walk with Him in a way that lead to me being away from Him for the past 8 years...

In that time, I've had several loved ones die, and I feel SO guilty for not being the witness to them that I felt I should have been and even worry that I cost them their salvation by doing so....I feel so discouraged and heartbroken at the thought of this, feel like God is going to judge me if they didn't make it and am just in so much pain over it all that I don't even want to live anymore...how do I deal with this?
God knows each heart (and only He does) and salvation is totally up to Him ... God is the one who changes hearts ... not any man.

We are indeed called to get the gospel message out but by doing so does not guarantee anyone's salvation. We get no "credit" (else we boast) for bringing someone to the Lord ... nor do we receive condemnation for not doing so.

The honest truth is .... we do not know who will or will not be saved ... only God/Jesus does and it's totally up to Him and one shouldn't selfcondem (judge) themselves.

Nowhere in His Word does it stated we are responsible for the salvation of others. Getting the gospel out may lead to salvation .. or not ... it's an individual relationship with the Lord and only He truly knows that relationship.

We don't contribute to our own salvation (it is a gift) ... much less that of others.

Salvation is up to the Lord .... period! Stop feeling guilty over it.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Was this before you came back repented etc?
He'll forgive you.
Hard part is forgiving ourselves when we mess up
Might I suggest just reminding yourself he's forgiven you so you should forgive yourself

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understand your concern & am aware of what Scripture says about witnessing.

It also says "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44 He draws everyone because "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

Additionally, "For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification]," Rom 1:20

Know it is a concern but God is reaching out to tthem or did - as He did with us - in numerous ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emerald518

Feb 24, 2018
Akron, Ohio
✟32,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all for your comforting words...just wanted to give an update as well as a sort of praise report about my situation regarding one of these people that I've been worrying about...God has answered my prayers about them in a way that is undeniably clear to me about where they ended up and has given me so much peace, relief and joy...

Back in February, we lost a good family friend of ours suddenly to a fatal brain anuerysm and her death hit a lot of people really hard. She was an amazing, loving woman who I had many fond memories of from when I was a little girl and it tore my heart to pieces to think she may not have made it home to be with Jesus not knowing what she or her family believed precisely, though I know looking back that they had Christian/Catholic leanings.

I had been asking God for awhile to give me any kind of assurance that our family friend was saved and in Heaven, and also asked in doing so that He would confirm it to me via scripture whether not this person was so that I could know for certain and have definite proof to lean on....this morning, I was talking to God about how badly I wished that our friend was in Heaven and how much it would break my heart if she hadn't made it, and immediately, it was like a "flash of lightning" went into my brain and suddenly, ALL I could think about was John 3:16-17....I was startled, and as I sat there and thought about what had just happened and meditated on those verses, God placed another verse on my heart....Romans 8:30.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt now that at least one of the people I loved in life is in Heaven with Him, and I feel free...

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

JoyAlton

Jan 1, 2024
South East region
✟2,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

In that time, I've had several loved ones die, and I feel SO guilty for not being the witness to them that I felt I should have been and even worry that I cost them their salvation by doing so....I feel so discouraged and heartbroken at the thought of this, feel like God is going to judge me if they didn't make it and am just in so much pain over it all that I don't even want to live anymore...how do I deal with th

thoughts of taking my own life but from thoughts that my life would be taken from me d/t anxiety and panic attacks.

I pray you find something helpful in what I share:

Pray and repeat the Eastern Church Jesus prayer: 'Lord Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner' (Luke 18:13)

Join your sufferings to what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ for the good of His body, the church (Colossians 1:24).

Offer your body as a living sacrifice which is your true and proper worship (Romans 12:1).

Strive for righteousness and pray for yourself and your deceased loved ones (James 5:16;
2 Maccabees 12:42).

Knock and seek and ask God to reveal to you His will in your life and to free you from your guilt (Matthew 7:7-8).

Use your spiritual suffering to find your way back to God (Ezekiel 18:24-32).

Remember that He knows our weaknesses (Hebrew 4:15-16) and that we all make mistakes (James 3:2).

If you need more, please reach out to me. I understand your fear, guilt and regret. God bless

Upvote 0