• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Worldly and godly sorrow

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This has always been a challenge for me, and I think it would be a good topic to address in this forum. I’ve always had the problem of only wanting to be saved for fear of eternal destruction, and it’s always bothered me that I’m so shallow and self-centered. Would you say that faith in Jesus is the difference between worldly and godly sorrow?

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This has always been a challenge for me, and I think it would be a good topic to address in this forum. I’ve always had the problem of only wanting to be saved for fear of eternal destruction, and it’s always bothered me that I’m so shallow and self-centered. Would you say that faith in Jesus is the difference between worldly and godly sorrow?
As the verse (2 Cor 7:10), with those two types of sorrow both concern repentance (from sin), it seems to me that the longevity of the "turn from" sin would be the yardstick of godly and worldly sorrow.
If your sorrow for something is godly, you won't ever do it again.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful37
Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve always had the problem of only wanting to be saved for fear of eternal destruction,
That's pretty normal, I think.
and it’s always bothered me that I’m so shallow and self-centered.
I don't think it's shallow. When it comes to your own salvation your self-interest is important.
Would you say that faith in Jesus is the difference between worldly and godly sorrow?
Perhaps, though I wouldn't say faith in Jesus changed my sorrows much. More so than that, my love has changed. So I would say faith in Jesus makes a (big) difference in how you love.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’ve always had the problem of only wanting to be saved for fear of eternal destruction

Jesus knew what you are like when he chose you before creation, he knew why you would respond to the offer of salvation and he still went to Calvary for you, he still offered you salvation.

May I suggest that you show your gratitude by your obedience to him.
If Jesus is happy that you are saved and isn't bothered by your motives, why are you?

Upvote 0