Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I just found out that World Vision in America 2 days ago or so (March 25th?) made a decision to hire gay and lesbian workers?

So the natural response for the American Church is to condemn the move and urge patrons to stop contributing to the organization. Almost immediately the organization changed their minds and reversed the decision as "a mistake"

I can't agree with this. Not that I support gay marriage, but organizations like World Vision are an outreach to others globally. They make it so that we can provide support for poor, vulnerable, and sick children globally that we otherwise would not be able to.

Is it "living in love" for us to try and make a POLITICAL statement by denying those children and their families, even their communities support they need to make life more sustainable? It's ridiculous! Really, preach all you want that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, but do not punish those who are 1,000's of miles away just so you can score some political points with the faithful.

You may not agree with me, but I do not see how Jesus would be pleased with those who reacted in such a way, when the ones who really suffer from such rhetoric are the ones who need the support the most.

Nickybobby

erudite
Oct 28, 2011
Kirkland, WA
Visit site
✟21,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You may not agree with me, but I do not see how Jesus would be pleased with those who reacted in such a way, when the ones who really suffer from such rhetoric are the ones who need the support the most.

Perhaps the ones who need the support the most are the gay and lesbian workers who could have been hired into a loving and supportive Christ based organization and be exposed to the love of Christ.

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it "living in love" for us to try and make a POLITICAL statement by denying those children and their families, even their communities support they need to make life more sustainable? It's ridiculous! Really, preach all you want that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, but do not punish those who are 1,000's of miles away just so you can score some political points with the faithful.

First of all, it's not a political statement, it's a MORAL statement, and it's a SPIRITUAL statement, to deny World Vision (who are behind the popular '30 Hour Famine') funds.

There's no shortage of Genuine Christian ministries who desperately need funds. We should support those ministries who also demonstrate Christian values.

We should judge those - like World Vision - who are within the church and say they only employ Christians, but also will employ 'married' 'Christian' gays. This is exactly what we need to discourage in the church.

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, it's not a political statement, it's a MORAL statement, and it's a SPIRITUAL statement, to deny World Vision (who are behind the popular '30 Hour Famine') funds.

There's no shortage of Genuine Christian ministries who desperately need funds. We should support those ministries who also demonstrate Christian values.

We should judge those - like World Vision - who are within the church and say they only employ Christians, but also will employ 'married' 'Christian' gays. This is exactly what we need to discourage in the church.

peace,
Simon

Oh spare me your holy religiosity. Really. It is a political statement.

If the church were serious about stopping the spread of homosexuality, then it would also want to stop all the lying, stealing, greed, adultery, hatred, etc. But it's almost as if certain "lesser" sins are okay and a blind eye is turned to them. But God forbid a homosexual comes around. Perhaps we should make them cover themselves and say unclean as they approach us too.

If you are going to judge homosexuals, then judge all others too. While your at it wear your phylactery around too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I read the interview with World Vision on Christianity Today's web site. The don't take a stand on most issues. They have employees from most of the denominations. Some of those denominations are OK with homosexuals. So WV is being consistent with their traditional approach to the diversity and accepting what the church at large accepts. Tho they have to be married as state law allows. They don't accept per-marital sex. They don't take a position on women leaders/preachers and a number of other issues.
So I support them in their decision.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Love has become a very important topic to me, but I don't see love the way it is currently portrayed. It is not love to let homosexuals feel good in their sin, and yes some sins are greater than others, and homosexuality is one of the big ones. One who embraces homosexuality, which I see differently than desiring righteousness and struggling, cannot be a Christian. Compromise is the path to more compromise, and if World Vision is compromising on blatant sin in America why would I believe they are promoting a true Gospel overseas? They have shown themselves to be a business, and they know how to get money from Christians, but they misjudged that, and when they saw their cash drawer empty they made a business decision.

I absolutely believe in meeting the physical needs, but if you aren't going to also present a true Gospel at some point you are just making the trip to Hell less uncomfortable, and this move makes their ability to present the Gospel suspect.

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If the church were serious about stopping the spread of homosexuality, then it would also want to stop all the lying, stealing, greed, adultery, hatred, etc. But it's almost as if certain "lesser" sins are okay and a blind eye is turned to them. But God forbid a homosexual comes around. Perhaps we should make them cover themselves and say unclean as they approach us too.

If you are going to judge homosexuals, then judge all others too. While your at it wear your phylactery around too.

You are completely missing the point.

When France voted last year to legalise gay marriage, I did not complain, or "judge them", if I had you could have reasonably called it a political statement. The nation of France is not 'within' the church. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?

World Vision is a part of the church. If they lie, cheat, steal, or promote Gay marriage for Christians we have the responsibility to call them on it.

(11) But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.
(12) What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
(13) God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked person from among you."

1 Corinthians 5:11-13 NIV

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Just so you're on the same page with everyone else here in this forum,..

Do not promote homosexuality on Christian Forums. Homosexuality can only be discussed, without promotion, in Christian Communities and Faith Groups. Homosexuality may also be discussed in the Recovery and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is saying treat homosexuals the same as liars, thieves, adulterers promoting homosexuality? I'm well aware of the rule thanks, but fail to see how I'm promoting it.

Oh I got it. We here are above homosexuality because none of us are homosexuals. If we applied the same standard to the other "lesser" sins (whatever that means) then we would have to exclude ourselves from the Kingdom of God too. But for some reason we read passages like 1 Cor 6:9-10, 1 Tim 1:9-10 and the ONLY sin we see listed there is homosexuality, COMPLETELY ignoring the others such as liars, murders (which is hate 1 John 3:15), thieves, slanderers, adulterers, etc.

In fact I would willing to go so far as to say that some here may be sitting under leadership in their church who are guilty of such things and are okay with that but should that minister say they are homosexual the very next breathe out of our mouths would be "well time to find a new church". That is hypocrisy in its purest form and its disgusting really.

The cowardly
The unbelieving
The vile
Murderers (hate 1 John 3:15)
Sexually immoral (including homosexuals)
Those practicing magic
Idolaters
ALL LIARS
Will have their share in the lake of fire, the second death. Revelation 21:8

Seems to me God punishes all sin equally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How is saying treat homosexuals the same as liars, thieves, adulterers promoting homosexuality? I'm well aware of the rule thanks, but fail to see how I'm promoting it.

Oh I got it. We here are above homosexuality because none of us are homosexuals. If we applied the same standard to the other "lesser" sins (whatever that means) then we would have to exclude ourselves from the Kingdom of God too. But for some reason we read passages like 1 Cor 6:9-10, 1 Tim 1:9-10 and the ONLY sin we see listed there is homosexuality, COMPLETELY ignoring the others such as liars, murders (which is hate 1 John 3:15), thieves, slanderers, adulterers, etc.

In fact I would willing to go so far as to say that some here may be sitting under leadership in their church who are guilty of such things and are okay with that but should that minister say they are homosexual the very next breathe out of our mouths would be "well time to find a new church". That is hypocrisy in its purest form and its disgusting really.

The cowardly
The unbelieving
The vile
Murderers (hate 1 John 3:15)
Sexually immoral (including homosexuals)
Those practicing magic
Idolaters
ALL LIARS
Will have their share in the lake of fire, the second death. Revelation 21:8

Seems to me God punishes all sin equally.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does God punish sin equally? Most of us in this forum will experience very little punishment for our sins. But some sins carry an even greater penalty in this life, and we don't really know much about what Hell will be like.

Do you really think God sees pedophelia the same as He sees someone who gets angry with other drivers in traffic and yells at them a little?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does God punish sin equally? Most of us in this forum will experience very little punishment for our sins. But some sins carry an even greater penalty in this life, and we don't really know much about what Hell will be like.

Do you really think God sees pedophelia the same as He sees someone who gets angry with other drivers in traffic and yells at them a little?

I agree with you jim that there are sins in this life that are punishable differently than others. In that regard, they are different and others more severe. Yes...

But the standard to which we, as Christians, hold homosexuals is hypocrisy. It is. If we were as serious about all sin as we are about homosexuality, there would be nothing but perfectly holy and righteous saints sitting in our pews every Sunday and Wednesday. Yet, the very churches that so vehemently preach against homosexuality have gossip, lying, cheating, affairs, etc running wild through them. So why the contradiction?

It's like I said, we view those sins as less severe than the cursed (sarcasm) homosexuality, because none of us are homosexuals. So we use that as a position of elevation with which to judge and condemn those that are. Look at the outrage caused by an organization that is multi-denominational simply saying they were going to hire homosexual workers. It's not that they said, homosexuality is not a sin. They were merely opening up employment opportunities to other people, and the reaction of the Christian community was as if World Vision came out and said Jesus was not the Savior. It's incredible the double standard that exists within most church groups.

In the end the ones that suffer are those who depend upon the support of those who give through World Vision. Those children, families, and communities had nothing to do with that decision and yet because the church overreacted, they may well suffer loss as a result.

Even looking at those homosexuals who could have been hired, what an awesome chance to share God's love and grace with them. But instead, like has been the norm, we push them away because they are diseased or something like that. It's a shame

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you jim that there are sins in this life that are punishable differently than others. In that regard, they are different and others more severe. Yes...

But the standard to which we, as Christians, hold homosexuals is hypocrisy. It is. If we were as serious about all sin as we are about homosexuality, there would be nothing but perfectly holy and righteous saints sitting in our pews every Sunday and Wednesday. Yet, the very churches that so vehemently preach against homosexuality have gossip, lying, cheating, affairs, etc running wild through them. So why the contradiction?

It's like I said, we view those sins as less severe than the cursed (sarcasm) homosexuality, because none of us are homosexuals. So we use that as a position of elevation with which to judge and condemn those that are. Look at the outrage caused by an organization that is multi-denominational simply saying they were going to hire homosexual workers. It's not that they said, homosexuality is not a sin. They were merely opening up employment opportunities to other people, and the reaction of the Christian community was as if World Vision came out and said Jesus was not the Savior. It's incredible the double standard that exists within most church groups.

In the end the ones that suffer are those who depend upon the support of those who give through World Vision. Those children, families, and communities had nothing to do with that decision and yet because the church overreacted, they may well suffer loss as a result.

Even looking at those homosexuals who could have been hired, what an awesome chance to share God's love and grace with them. But instead, like has been the norm, we push them away because they are diseased or something like that. It's a shame

I usually choose to ignore your forum rants. But in this case, you speak way out of line.

To paint all Christians as you have done in this post ... as hypocrites ... is just way out of line, distorted, incorrect. You are painting with way too broad a paintbrush, obg.

If you truly have such heartburn with other Christians, I strongly suggest you take up the matter privately with the Lord in prayer. There is where we find peace with God regarding the matters that trouble us. It is not in coming online and unjustly accusing everyone else in the Body of Christ of hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I usually choose to ignore your forum rants. But in this case, you speak way out of line.

To paint all Christians as you have done in this post ... as hypocrites ... is just way out of line, distorted, incorrect. You are painting with way too broad a paintbrush, obg.

If you truly have such heartburn with other Christians, I strongly suggest you take up the matter privately with the Lord in prayer. There is where we find peace with God regarding the matters that trouble us. It is not in coming online and unjustly accusing everyone else in the Body of Christ of hypocrisy.

Please address my post and not me. I really could care less if you like my posts or not. How is it not hypocrisy for a Christian to say homosexuals are so evil and vile and not in the same breath condemn lying, stealing, hate, adultery, etc?

Have you ever heard the phrase, "If what I say applies to you, take it and use it and if not, then let it go in one ear and out the other?" I suggest you use that here. Perhaps you already have and are feeling convicted for you are guilty of this as well.

I don't know, I don't know you. That's between you and God. Report me if you feel I'm so way out of line. Let the admins decide. If they want to take my post down they can. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please address my post and not me. I really could care less if you like my posts or not. How is it not hypocrisy for a Christian to say homosexuals are so evil and vile and not in the same breath condemn lying, stealing, hate, adultery, etc? Tell me, and if you think I'm out of line, report me, let the mods decide.

Your post is full of hateful false accusations made against your brothers and sisters in Christ. To publicly call us all hypocrites is very wrong.

As for reporting you, I pondered it. But we are adults, obg, and you obviously see fit these days to repeatedly post openly here in multitudinous threads your current disgust and disapproval with the rest of us in the Body of Christ. I figured you could take the direct discussion as you apparently see fit to directly approach the rest of us with your complaints against us, but I guess I was wrong. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

:wave:

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your post is full of hateful false accusations made against your brothers and sisters in Christ. To publicly call us all hypocrites is very wrong.

As for reporting you, I pondered it. But we are adults, obg, and you obviously see fit these days to repeatedly post openly here in multitudinous threads your current disgust and disapproval with the rest of us in the Body of Christ. I figured you could take the direct discussion as you apparently see fit to directly approach the rest of us with your complaints against us, but I guess I was wrong. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

:wave:

I was unaware I was full of hate for my brothers and sisters. Please tell me how I am so and I will apologize. You still didn't answer my question though ;)

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you that we should give lying, gossip, slander... the same weight as homosexuality. They do make all of Paul's lists of top evils. But then let's look at that in this situation. If World Vision had come out and announced that they were going to intentionally not screen out known liars, or gossips, or murderers would the reaction have been any different?

As to the witness to the homosexuals... I call BS on that one, (but honestly, in all love). Patting them on the back and making their trip to damnation more comfortable is not a witness. It is another compromised step on the road to becoming like the YMCA that still has Christian in its name but begrudges acknowledging its founding principles. You can't flirt with demons and walk in holiness.

On a good Sunday there might be 50 people in my church, and on one of those days with 50 people I know of a homosexual that is likely to be there. The first day he was there the pastor that was preaching gave our church's position on homosexuality, (I don't know if she knew he was gay or not), and it is the balanced position--we love people too much to let homosexuals think that their sin is okay in God's eyes. He's been back since then.

...and yes people have been shown the left foot of fellowship from our church for continuing to gossip, after being counselled and warned.

Upvote 0