Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
Does anyone get REALLY hungry after you work out? It seems like since I've been working out pretty regularly that I am get really hungry after I work out and want to snack.

Are there some healthy snacks I can eat after I work out that will not make me just put back on the weight I'm trying to lose? I get hungry for things like donuts and chocolate and pizza :)

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Living4Him03 said:
Does anyone get REALLY hungry after you work out? It seems like since I've been working out pretty regularly that I am get really hungry after I work out and want to snack.

Are there some healthy snacks I can eat after I work out that will not make me just put back on the weight I'm trying to lose? I get hungry for things like donuts and chocolate and pizza :)
I lift to failure four times a week. Because of this, I'm always hungry. When I'm not lifting, I can usually stuff down a foot long sub from subway, when I am lifting regularly, I can usually eat two foot long's with a bag of chips and still have a little room left if I needed it.

It's natural.

If youre looking to kill a craving, you might want to try a glass of whole milk. There's not enough fat in it to throw off your efforts, but there is fat, protein, crabohydrates, calories, basically everything your body needs to recognize it's been fed, so it shuts off the hunger mechanism.

Of course, if you're working out, your body needs to repair itself so make sure youre getting protein, carbs, and some fat.

A bowl of Special K or Multi Grain Cheerios with skim or 1% milk may be a good choice too.

Upvote 0

Justin04

Feb 29, 2004
Sacramento
✟15,852.00
Faith
Christian
Protein bars are probably the best thing that your looking for. I think the low carb protein bars are whats best (not because of the low carb thing) just because they arent packed with sugar. If your normally eating a lot of sugar (even if its just orange juice, soda, whatever) then eating the low carb protien bars wouldnt help you as much as eating the regular ones with your cravings. I eat low carb protein bars cause I eat very little sugar, juice, soda, or anything at all with caffeine or sigar in it, so their perfect for me.

Tuna is also a good one, your body is craving protein and you wont find many things higher then tuna, tho i think it taste like **** I eat it after just about every work out.

Whole milk is also a good one cause like was said it has virtually everything your body needs and will help defeat hunger but probably wont be enough.

Try out a bunch of protien bars see what fits your work out best. I normally eat a protien bar, water, and then a salad shortly afterward I find the salad helps with the carbs and energy and the protien bars defeat the cravings for food right after the work out.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
you have to compare with before you started exercising. Do you eat the same amount before you started this exercise regime? I think it's natural to crave more food when you start exercising.

For me, i think i increased my food intake but i do not want food immediately after i exercise.

Upvote 0

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed that I get hungry after swimming, but my appetite is totally gone after I go jogging.

Sometimes, by the time I'm done jogging it's pretty late, and I don't want to stop for fattening fast food (and I sure as heck am not going to cook!), so maybe I just fool myself into thinking I'm not hungry. :) If I do get hungry, sometimes I'll just have a bowl of cereal or drink a glass of milk--2% though (like someone already suggested). That's usually enough to take care of it for me.

Upvote 0

klewlis

cur tu me vexas?
Jan 27, 2004
Edmonton
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Christian
I do usually get really hungry within an hour after a workout (often right away).

A healthy sandwich or a bowl of healthy cereal usuaully does the trick for me. Both keep me satisfied for awhile.

I don't find that protein bars are filling enough when I'm really hungry (I do eat them as snacks at other times). However, a protein shake in combo with a sandwich is GREAT.

:)

Upvote 0

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
Thanks everyone for the tips! I think I'll start doing the milk thing and have a half a sandwhich or something with it. I love milk :)

Last night after working out I wanted a donut and I was at Target shopping for groceries and of course they sell krispy kremes lol. So, I ended up getting one and I should have eaten something before I left. lesson learned I guess!

Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Living4Him03 said:
Last night after working out I wanted a donut and I was at Target shopping for groceries and of course they sell krispy kremes lol. So, I ended up getting one and I should have eaten something before I left. lesson learned I guess!
Oh you ain't heard?!?!!

http://www.christianforums.com/t725825

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmmm, I am usually not hungry after I work out. I thought it was all those endorphins gone wild or something. :) The hunger usually hits a couple of hours later. By then, it's too late to eat too heavy. On a day that I don't exercise, then I am hungry, earlier. I havn't figured the whole thing out yet.....

When I was running regularly, I would eat one of those Power Bars, or whatever they are called about an hour or so before I ran. Those helped give me energy to run.

Upvote 0

TriptychR

Investigative Retorter
Jul 3, 2004
Western New York
✟10,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Regarding tuna, a little Miracle Whip and a dash of salt and pepper have always made it something I love. Mix it all up then, if you want some bread with it, either make a sandwich or tear up a slice into a bowl with the tuna. I know it might sound weird or lazy, but it works.

Upvote 0

Justin04

Feb 29, 2004
Sacramento
✟15,852.00
Faith
Christian
TriptychR said:
Regarding tuna, a little Miracle Whip and a dash of salt and pepper have always made it something I love. Mix it all up then, if you want some bread with it, either make a sandwich or tear up a slice into a bowl with the tuna. I know it might sound weird or lazy, but it works.

I used to do that, but I've become more lazy in the last few months and now just eat it out of the can. I also cook it like real fish and just put it in a fillet pan and put cajun and wine vinegar on it and cook it for about 2 mins and its pretty fast way to make it taste better, that what I did today, didnt go to the gym just worked out at home)

I think I'm gonna try mcdonalds salad tomorrow after my work out, I heard their new one is actually healthy, probably isnt but I'm gonna find out.

Upvote 0

klewlis

cur tu me vexas?
Jan 27, 2004
Edmonton
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Christian
Justin04 said:
I think I'm gonna try mcdonalds salad tomorrow after my work out, I heard their new one is actually healthy, probably isnt but I'm gonna find out.

I just think it's wrong to eat healthy food at mcdonalds. If I'm going to mcd's, I want a big mac and fries! (my favourite comfort food!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Justin04

Feb 29, 2004
Sacramento
✟15,852.00
Faith
Christian
klewlis said:
I just think it's wrong to eat healthy food at mcdonalds. If I'm going to mcd's, I want a big mac and fries! (my favourite comfort food!)

thats funny.

I WONT eat normal mcdonalds food just because i think its soo unhealthy (did anybody see htat movie thing where that guy ate nothing but mcdonalds for like a month and almost died?) I've ate at mcds 2-3 times in the last few years. same with most fast foods places I try not to eat there, then I normally end up eating something just as bad thats not labled ''fast food'' so I feel better about myself cause it doesnt have a # on it even tho most of the time its probably just as bad.

Upvote 0

Out of the Flames

May 11, 2004
Orange County, CA
✟1,134.00
Faith
Christian
If I swim laps, I'm not hungry. No matter how perfect my form and flow are, I inevitably swallow water.

If I do mostly cardio (step, cycling, kickboxing), I'm hungry within a few hours. I try to have a small sandwich waiting in the fridge for just such an occassion.

If I'm doing really hard weight lifting, I'm ravenous immediately after I stretch out. I usually have a nutrigrain or granola bar to help tide me over.

Upvote 0

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently discovered Eby's frozen whole fruit bars (strawberry is my favourite!) and I sometimes snack on those.....it's like having ice cream without the guilt. :) I've also found that drinking tons of water can help suppress the appetite. I'm trying that approach. I have horrible cravings for chocolate, and high fat/carb stuff like Mexican food. Luckily, the Mexican place of my choosing closes early enough that I can't make it there after I work out and I'm usually too sweaty and gross to want to go to the store. lol!

Upvote 0