Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
In this context, salvation is a process of change and transformation in Christ.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟309,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Notice that Paul said to "work out" your salvation and not "work for" your salvation in Philippians 2:12. When we "work out" at the gym, we exercise to develop our body that we already have and not to get a body. Farmers "work" the land, not in order to get the land, but to develop the land they already have.

The Greek verb rendered "work out" means "to continually work to bring something to completion or fruition." We do this by actively pursuing the process of ongoing sanctification, which is the result of being set apart for God's work and involves the process of being conformed to the image of Christ. This conforming to Christ involves the work of the person, but it is still God working in the believer both to will and to do for His good pleasure. (verse 13)

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟150,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus warned us that the road to salvation is straight and narrow and that only a few of us will find it. Many are traveling down the wrong road, which leads to destruction. This is because many of us have heard about salvation but few of us want to do what is necessary to get salvation (many are called but few are chosen). (Matthew 7:13, 14) Many contend that Jesus did it all and now all we have to do is have faith.

The bible says, we must not only be a hearer of the word, but a doer of the word also (James 1:21-22). DON'T FOOL YOURSELF! If we really have faith in Jesus our actions will prove it. If Jesus is our Lord then we will obey him. Even a child will obey a parent, by getting good grades in school, for the reward of a new bicycle. The child cannot earn money for the bicycle, but instead must act upon their faith to receive the free gift. We must do the same to receive eternal life. "FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD” (James 2:20).

Nevertheless, in judgment each one of us will give account for our own salvation. Therefore, we must not let anyone lead us down the wrong path, but should verify all of our teaching with the holy bible. YOUR SALVATION IS AT STAKE! "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12).

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This is an excellent topic for a thread. It is one of the main accusations against the Catholic Church that says we teach salvation by works, but that is not true. Some think we are saved by grace not by works, so they do nothing.

If they sin, they are not grieved because, “It’s all under the blood anyway” I have met people like this, and I understand their thinking, but it is a gross distortion of biblical teaching.

Jesus has given us an analogy to help our understanding of works and grace. He calls it the marriage supper of the Lamb. He gives the parable of the wise and foolish virgins that go out to meet the bride groom, and he confronts a man at a wedding feast that has no wedding garment.

Grace and works can be thought of the same as a marriage. A couple gets married. A faithful wife studies her husband and learns what makes him happy. She is not demanding contentious or quarrelsome. She is obedient, but not a doormat of abuse. She cares for the house and raises the children in love, and this makes the home a source of joy for her husband. Note that none of these works she does for her husband can make her any more married, nor did they get her married. It was her husband that chose her and proposed marriage that made the marriage.

Now look at modern marriage. Most wives do not behave that way. Many are very demanding and use sex to get what they want. From their perspective, “It’s all about me” They are like the song from the 1980s by Janet Jackson, “what have you done for me lately?” They want everything done for them, yet won’t lift a finger to enhance the marriage. They fall for the modern lie, “only suckers submit to their husbands” “I am a modern woman, I am equal, you hear me? EQUAL” “You want love tonight?, ooo mama got a headache, or I am not in the mood, I don’t feel the romance”, or worse yet they look at their husband and tell him how unworthy he is to make love to her, then laugh and roll their eyes.

Do you wonder why there has been a dramatic increase in divorce? Men and women are not equal. If you want to try and make them equal, you get the same as a magnet, opposites attract, same repels.

Does the submissive role of women make them less than a man? Certainly not. Women have much more power than men, most just don’t know it, or they use their power for selfish ends, which is essentially evil.

God gives specific commands to husbands and wives. To husbands he tells them to love your wife as I love the Church, which is to give yourself for her. To wives He says to submit to your husband as to the Lord. He doesn’t tell you to force the other into obedience either. The husband cannot say, my wife won’t submit, so I won’t love her, nor can the wife say my husband doesn’t love me, nor is he worthy so I won’t submit. Although those are the excuses in most marriages, that thinking is not in accordance with the commands of God.

Now look at modern Christians. Very many say that salvation is by grace not works, so I won’t do anything. Others love God and read Jesus words, If you love me, keep my commandments, and then go about bringing their life under obedience to God.

Some say that the commandments are too burdensome, and we could never always keep them, so why try? “We are saved by grace, not works”

The wise Christians like the wise virgins that go to meet the bridegroom, strive to obey God through repentance and penance, not to earn heaven, but because we love Him. A wise wife does what is pleasing to her husband, a wise Christian does what is pleasing to God. If we find it difficult or frustrating, we are aware that God knows the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
It all depends on our attitude. God says, if any man lacks anything let him ask God and it will be granted him. If we lack the strength to obey God, ask in prayer and you will be amazed at the grace you receive. Say that obedience is impossible, so I am not gonna obey, Jesus already died for all my future sins anyway, God gives you the free will to walk into outer darkness where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The path to righteousness is not that way, it is through obedience and submission.

Upvote 0