Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
5 Verses You Thought Were in the Bible… but Aren't
by Inside BST

Even though Western culture gets slapped with the “Post-Christian” label, that doesn’t mean references to biblical ideas have been scrubbed away. In fact, nods to Scripture show up quite often in pop culture—from movies to rockstars.

But as often as not, these attempts at grabbing onto what the Bible actually says can miss. By a lot. You see, we’ve got some “everybody knows” notions about God’s Word that borrow much more from Western ethos than they do from the Wisdom literature. You could say they're something like the “old wives’ tales” that popular imagination has attributed to the Good Book.

That doesn’t mean these “phantom verses” are okay, though. In fact, they actually go against what Scripture teaches. Sometimes in damaging ways.

So, what verses do people think are in the Bible but really aren’t? Here are 5 to get us started.

1. "God helps those who help themselves.” 1 Americanians 17:76

The so-called American Dream means that almost anyone can be born into or come to the country with nothing, work hard, gather a loan payment or three, and die with enough to leave to children. And this “verse” (which may go back all the way to Aesop of fable fame) fits nicely with that American ethic.

But it’s definitely not biblical.

In the Bible, the help always comes from one place, which the Psalmist lays out succinctly in Psalm 121:2, "My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” When the Israelites stared down the crashing waves of the Red Sea and the crushing horses of Pharaoh’s army, God didn’t have the people build boats. He did the helping:

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14)
When desperate people came begging Jesus for help, He never had them prove their mettle. After all, He knows the sinfulness in us. Instead, He helped them because of His own compassion.

Does that mean we can just float through our Christian walk? Not at all. In fact, it’s because of our salvation through Christ that God has provided everything we need to “abound in every good work” (2 Cor. 9:8). We’re saved to do good because God provides the tools and power to get it done.

2. "This, too, shall pass.” Wisdomonius 4:11

Whenever something bad happens, this “verse” pops up. It certainly sounds biblical, and some have even quoted it on TV as being from God’s Word. But it’s not, and it’s not even necessarily true.

Sure, we’ll usally move beyond the debilitating pain of loss or find another job or heal from an accident. But not every pain will pass away while we’re here on earth and in this body.

In fact, some pains don’t pass because God has a bigger purpose for them. When Paul struggled with a thorn in his flesh, he begged Jesus to remove it. You’d think that Paul, who saw many miracles as he preached the gospel, would see this pain “pass.” But he didn’t:

"But [Jesus] said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” (2 Cor. 12:9)
We can be sure that God provides comfort, but that doesn’t mean He will necessarily take away the source of the pain.

3. “Yea, verily, God wants you to be happy.” Oprah 1:1

This popular verse floats to the top every so often and gets thrown around on talk shows and magazines. We like to think that our happiness is God’s highest goal because that fits our consumer-focused, instant-access, you-deserve-it world. It’s a verse that allows people to skirt other biblical mandates because, as is often claimed, happiness trumps everything else.

But none of these false verses does more damage than this one. So, let’s just be blunt here: your happiness is not God’s intent nor your reason for existing. We are here to praise God—not to accumulate wealth, be comfortable, have a great relationship, feel satisfied, or reach our personal goals.

Here’s how Paul puts it:

"And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.” (Ephesians 2:6–7)

Why are we saved? So that God can forever point to us as evidence of His love and His glory. That in itself is enough to make us happy and to give us joy. But happiness is not the goal.

In fact, if we put our happiness ahead of everything else, we’re completely disobeying what Jesus said are the most important commands: Love God; love people (Luke 10:27). Elevating our own happiness as the ultimate goal gets in the way of both of those. We love God by obeying Him. We love our neighbor by serving.

4. “If you work hard enough, you’ll be successful.” 2 Jobs 4:04

Is hard work good? Yes. In fact, we’re told over and over in Proverbs that we’re supposed to work hard (12:11, 13:4, 14:23, etc.). Jesus kept a tireless pace during His life on earth, and you’ll never hear Paul condemn someone who works hard (in fact, he condemns those who don’t in 2 Thessalonians 3:10).

But the popular idea that hard work necessarily equals abundant earthly blessings has no basis in Scripture. In fact, for all His hard work, Jesus sometimes had nowhere to even sleep at night (Luke 9:58). Paul, the tireless tentmaker, spent much of his time running from mobs, swimming from shipwrecks, and singing in jail.

As a Christian, we are supposed to work at everything as if we were doing it for Jesus. But our reward is in knowing we did our best for Him, not in seeing our bank accounts bloom. While we may receive tangible blessings for our hard work, the bigger blessing is knowing that our Father who sees everything is pleased (Matthew 6:4). That’s a huge reward in itself.

5. “Just follow your heart and believe, and you can do anything.” Song of Disney 20:15

Sometimes, Disney movies seem to invade Scripture. Perhaps because we humans love Cinderella stories (unjust rags to magical riches), the notion of us being "anything we want to be if we just believe” has become weaved into the fabric of how we view the Bible. David the shepherd boy became a king, right?

But we aren’t meant to do just anything. We’re meant to fulfill the purpose God has for our lives. For example, David was created to be king. Long before he was born, in fact, Jacob/Israel had prophesied that a ruler would spring from the line of Judah (Genesis 49:10). David didn’t "follow his heart" to the throne of Israel. He followed His God along the path laid out for him (Psalm 119:35).

God gives us passions and desires and uses our lives to prepare us for His purposes—just as He prepared David during his time as a shepherd, soldier, and court musician. But that only works if we completely surrender our lives to His leading. On the other hand, if we spend our lives pursuing that “whatever we want to be,” we may very well end up disillusioned and dissatisfied even if we achieve our goal.

Reactions: Shalico2007
Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Tin Monster

“A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
Luke 12:15

At least my intentions were good. I (JCD) once ordered a swing set for my children identical to a shiny display model I’d seen at the store. What arrived, however, was a long box containing roughly 6,324 pipes, 28,487,651 bolts, 28,487,650 screws, and a set of instructions that would have befuddled Albert Einstein. For the next two days, I sweated to assemble bent parts, missing parts, and parts from a 1948 Ford thrown in just to confuse me.

Finally, the wobbly construction stood upright. I got another shock when I read the final line printed on the back of the instructions: “Please retighten all the bolts on this apparatus every two weeks to ensure safety and durability.” I now had to devote every other Saturday to this tin monster or it would gobble up my children!

Everything you own will eventually own you! Unchecked material‐ism becomes your master, both when you make the purchase and when you must sweat to maintain it. That’s why I heartily encourage you to decide together to own less . . . and enjoy life more.

Just between us . . .

• Do we have a “tin monster”—something new and supposedly valuable that’s more trouble than it’s worth—in our lives?
• What do we have that we don’t need and could simply give or throw away?
• What guidelines could we agree on to avoid the trap of materialism?
• How can fewer possessions bring us closer to God?

Dear Lord, we are so easily driven by the desire to own more things. We want to live with less. Change us with Your truth about lasting value. We want to hold all our income and possessions in trust for You, the real owner. Amen.

This devotional is taken from Night Light for Couples. Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3 Steps to Overcome Fear
LYSA TERKEURST

"The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:5b-7 (NIV)

When my kids were younger and had a bad dream, they always knew they could find safety and security from their fears by calling me near.

Sometimes I’d make my way to their room and climb in with them. But more times than not, they wanted to sleep right beside my bed. Something about mommy and daddy being "near" quieted their souls and calmed their hearts.

How like our Heavenly Father when we get entangled in fear as well.

Today’s Scripture includes a popular verse people like to quote about fear, found in Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I love this verse. I’ve taught my kids this verse. And as I’ve spent time studying it, I’ve noticed something really interesting. There are four very powerful words that come right before the, "Do not be anxious" part.

Because the verse right before it (Philippians 4:5) ends with, "The Lord is near." And because the Lord is near, we don’t have to be anxious. We have the assurance of His soothing presence.

When I put this verse in context and see how God promises to be with me and those I love, this verse takes on a whole new meaning for me.

It’s His presence plus His promise that chases away our anxious thoughts.

And to truly understand that, we must also look at how the next verse (Philippians 4:8) instructs us, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things." (NIV)

In other words, God instructs us to "park our minds" on that which is true and right and worthy of praise. But, oh how hard this can be sometimes.

Because just like my kids, I can have such a runaway mind where I focus on my fears and blow them way out of proportion. So this "park your mind" concept has been huge for me and as my kids have grown, I’ve consciously made an effort to teach them to park their minds on God’s truth as well.

The next time you find yourself or your child being pulled into fear, try these three steps:

1. Pray Honestly — Encourage your child to honestly tell God what they’re afraid of and ask Him to help them not live in that fear. Pray for His protection and assurance.

2. Read God’s Truths — Be intentional about helping your child find the courage they need by showing them Scriptures about overcoming fear. Tuck God’s Truth into their heart and arm them with the most powerful tool available — His Word!

3. Verbalize Trust in Him — Help your child quote the Scriptures they’ve memorized on dealing with fear. Encourage them to quote the verse slowly and intentionally, to claim the truths contained within, and to verbalize their belief in God out loud.

Yes, I’m convinced the more we fill our minds with God’s Word, the more crowded out our fears will become.

Dear Lord, thank You for the promise that You are near. I’m so grateful that my kids and I can give all of our fears over to You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Genesis 28:15a, "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go." (NIV)

Isaiah 41:13, "For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." (NIV)

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dollars from Heaven

Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. Luke 6:38

Our children are better students of us than we are of them. They know—really know—more of what's going on in your marriage than you think they do. This was certainly the case for a couple who were invited by the wife's brother and sister-in-law to attend one of our Weekend to Remember marriage conferences. Times had been hard for this couple, from the typical stress of raising four teenage daughters to the strain of having one daughter preparing to graduate and another preparing to marry to the added pressure of temporarily providing a home for a friend and her two children. Truly, this was a couple in need of some refreshment.

But even with their relatives' offer to pay for the airfare, they still didn't feel as if they could handle the cost of the hotel, meals and conference fee. Disappointed, they said, "As much as we'd love to go, we just can't afford it." But when they returned home that same night, they were met by an incredible sight in their bedroom: 400 one-dollar bills—on the bed, on the floor, even taped to the walls—as well as a card that read: "We love you, Mom and Dad. Have a great time!" Their youngest daughters (ages 10 and 13), knowing what
was going on, had scraped together every cent they had saved to give their parents a gift and the trip of a lifetime.

Don't ever forget that your children are like little radar units, locked on to the two most important people in their lives. They know how you are doing. That's why it's so important to invest regularly in your marriage by getting away.

DISCUSS

When was the last time you took time away to work on your marriage? Pull out a schedule and talk about finding two weekends in the coming year to invest in your marriage.

PRAY

Ask the Lord to help you be sensitive to how your children gain strength and stability from your relationship with one another.

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LESSONS FROM THE PROPHET JONAH

Jonah 1:1-17

The Lord’s commands are clear—He tells believers when to act, where to go, and what to do. He also provides the means for following His directions. The prophet Jonah was told to leave immediately for a certain city and cry out this warning: “Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown” (Jonah 3:4). Instead, Jonah did something foolish (and altogether human). He ran.

Because he was a prophet, we can assume Jonah had studied the Scriptures and knew God intimately. Even so, displeasure over his assignment clouded his judgment, and he became convinced he could flee the Lord’s presence. Jonah was wrong. God sent a great storm and isolated him for three days inside a smelly fish. In other words, the Lord didn’t relent until the prophet agreed to comply.

Jonah learned that running away from the Lord doesn’t release us from His commands. Whether we refuse outright or quietly choose to pursue our own agenda, we simply cannot silence His call. Our Father will neither forget a directive nor change His mind about it, and so the Holy Spirit continues prompting us until we do as instructed.

People who run from divine direction may attempt to silence the Spirit’s reminders by filling their life with distractions. They know what God wants from them but are too proud, stubborn, or scared to comply. What we must understand is that God will pursue us—stripping away diversions and crutches to get our attention. Wise believers obey Him promptly rather than waste time and talent by running.

InTouch Daily Devotional

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I knit you together in your mother's womb.

Psalm 139:13
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother?s womb. (NIV Bible)

When I read this verse, my mind wanders off to a Victorian style living room, softly lit by a crackling fire. There is a grandmother in this room, gently rocking back and forth in her maple rocking chair as she knits a sweater for a beloved grandchild. I can see the expression on her face, as all her love is, for this moment focused on this new creation.

In her mind, she can picture how the sweater will look when it is finished, and the joy that it will bring to her grandchild's heart. With anticipation, she continues to knit one, pearl two, knit one, pearl two as the sweater begins take the form that she always imagined it to be. This project is not work for her, for it brings much joy to her soul and delight to her heart because each stitch is filled with love.

Now for a moment, think about how God knit you together in your mother's womb. Our Father uses such a tender illustration of how He lovingly, and carefully created our being. He could have blasted us together, or snapped His fingers and we would have appeared, but He chose a more delicate process in which He could be intimately involved as He formed us in our mothers womb...knit one, pearl two, knit one, pearl two.

Stitch by stitch, loop by loop, each one of our parts was delicately and carefully crafted by Almighty God. Your life is not the product of an impersonal evolution, but the result of a loving Father, who planned your creation before the foundations of the world, and took the time to knit you together in your mother's womb. You are a masterpiece, and your very existence brings much joy to your Father's heart.

PRAYER
Father I thank You for creating my inmost being. I know each strand of my DNA was fashioned by You, stitch by stitch, loop by loop, with a love that called me to life. I was created in love, and for love. And in my heart, I want to express my love back to you for being such a wonderful Father to me that You would knit me together in my mother's womb. In the name of Your beloved Son Jesus, I pray. AMEN.

Father's Love Letter devotional

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Happiness And Holiness

Read: 1 Peter 1:13-21

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord. —Hebrews 12:14

At Harvard University, you can take a course in happiness. This popular class helps students discover, as the professor states, “How to get happy.”

That’s not a bad idea. In fact, the Bible even suggests on several occasions the importance of being happy or joyful. Solomon tells us that God grants happiness to us as a privilege (Eccl. 3:12; 7:14; 11:9).

Sometimes, though, we take the search for earthly happiness too far. We see it as the most important pursuit, and even believe that our happiness is God’s highest goal for us. That’s when our thinking gets confused.

God’s Word tells us that true happiness comes by keeping God’s law (Ps. 1:1-2; Prov. 16:20; 29:18). God demands holiness and has called us to live a holy life—one that exemplifies His moral character (1 Thess. 4:7; 2 Peter 3:11). In Peter’s first letter we read, “As He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, ‘Be holy, for I am holy’” (1 Peter 1:15-16).

When we face decisions about the way we should act or how we should live, we must keep in mind that God’s command is not “Be happy,” but “Be holy.” True joy will come from a holy, God-honoring life.

In all I think and say and do,
I long, O God, to honor You;
But may my highest motive be
To love the Christ who died for me. —D. De Haan

There is no true happiness apart from holiness and no holiness apart from Christ.

Our Daily Bread devotional

Upvote 0

Shalico2007

Jesucristo es el Rey! Que Dios te Bendiga!
Oct 30, 2004
✟116,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
http://odb.org/2015/06/25/worth-it-all/

Roman_Colosseum.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SERVING GOD WITH A SOFT HEART

Jonah 4

What most people know about Jonah is that he was swallowed by a big fish while trying to run from God. In the creature’s belly, he committed to following the Lord’s will. So when Jonah was called a second time to preach repentance in Nineveh, he obeyed.

After the prophet obeyed, there was an unexpected turn of events. He crossed the city, warning the people of divine wrath—and they responded by turning away from wickedness. The Ninevites’ response should have made Jonah ecstatic. Instead, he grieved over their repentance and God’s mercy on them, as Nineveh and Israel were longtime enemies. In fact, he angrily told the Lord he had fled to Tarshish to avoid this very scenario of penitence and forgiveness.

Jonah was displeased because his heart was as hard as when he had run to Tarshish. Trapped inside the fish, he changed his mind about following the Lord’s command. He expressed willingness to do whatever God wanted him to do, but in his heart, he still desired the Ninevites’ destruction. Jonah’s bitterness and reluctance showed through in spite of his righteous actions.

God is not fooled by good behavior that springs from a hard heart. Obeying Him with an unwilling spirit may achieve His purpose, but we lose the joy of our reward. Perhaps the Lord has called you to serve Him in a way that is personally challenging. As you commit to following His will, pray also for a soft heart. You will find peace and blessing in doing the work if you follow Him without hesitation.

InTouch Daily Devotional

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And brought you forth on the day you were born.

Psalm 71:6
From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother?s womb. I will ever praise you.
(NIV Bible)

God was there the day you were born. He wasn't watching at a distance, but was intimately involved in your birth. There may have been a doctor and a team of nurses in the room participating in your triumphant entry, but it was your Father who was really the One who welcomed you into this world.

It was He who with great affection, declared to the heavens that this day, another one of His offspring would join the outside world. What a Father we have! He knew us before we were conceived, He formed us in our mother's womb, gently knitting our members together, and then on the day of our glorious arrival, He was there to welcome us.

Many of us have felt that we have not been welcomed into this world, and tragically, some of us have experienced rejection even from the day of our birth. But it was God, your Father, who planned your existence before the foundation of the world, and then called you to life. When we begin to believe this truth, our hearts and our emotions, we will begin to change. For it is the cry of each one of our hearts to know that we have been absolutely and unconditionally loved, all the days of our life.

Father was there to welcome you into His wonderful world and to affirm your destiny as His child. And since that day, He has not left you, but has numbered each one of your days in His special book. As you reflect on you're the day you were born, be comforted to know that your Father was there, and He was the proudest Papa of all!

PRAYER
Father, I thank You for bringing me forth from my mother's womb. It was You who welcomed me into this world and called me to life. You have always been there for me, and You will always be there for me. It is Your love and acceptance that is the bedrock of my life. I will ever praise You! In the name of Your beloved Son Jesus, I pray. AMEN

Father's Love Letter Devotional

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God And Guns

Read: Psalm 2:1-12
Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? —Psalm 2:1

Does the security of our nation depend on its military might? What would happen if we were to do away with our armed forces?

If that sounds foolish, it’s probably because the idea of disarming would be as unwise today as it would have been in ancient Israel. It doesn’t make sense to lay down weapons in a world where God has often used them to protect His people. But there’s another side to this question. No nation can control its own future by sheer military power alone.

The need for God’s resources was often emphasized in the Old Testament. The Lord reminded His people Israel that He could save them without bow, sword, battle, horses, or horsemen (Hos. 1:7). He would provide them with a kind of national security that was unknown to the rest of the world. As Psalm 2 indicates, the nations make a lot of noise and act as if their own strength is enough. But the Lord laughs at the exaggerated feelings of self-importance of leaders who think that the race is always “to the swift” or “the battle to the strong” (Eccl. 9:11).

Where is your confidence? If your trust is in the Lord, you will have security that no weapons can ever give. “Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him” (Ps. 2:12).

It's often easier to trust
In what our eyes can see,
But God asks us to look to Him
For our security. —Sper

God is the only ally we need.

Our Daily Bread Devotional

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 2

Why do the nations rage,
And the people plot a vain thing?
The kings of the earth set themselves,
And the rulers take counsel together,
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
“Let us break Their bonds in pieces
And cast away Their cords from us.”

He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
The Lord shall hold them in derision.
Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
And distress them in His deep displeasure:
“Yet I have set My King
On My holy hill of Zion.”

“I will declare the decree:
The Lord has said to Me,
‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.
Ask of Me, and I will give You
The nations for Your inheritance,
And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
You shall break them with a rod of iron;
You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’”

Now therefore, be wise, O kings;
Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
Serve the Lord with fear,
And rejoice with trembling.
Kiss the Son He be angry,
And you perish in the way,
When His wrath is kindled but a little.
Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.