word of faith?

Is the prosperity/ word of faith movement biblical?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
From the link that Pdudgeon provided the following beliefs appear to be in very serious error.
7. WE BELIEVE whatsoever a man says, not doubting in his heart, but believing that those things which he says shall come to pass, that he shall have whatsoever he says. We believe we therefore need the word of God to transform us by the renewing of our mind and speak those things in faith, that the Word of God says, in submission to God. (Mark 11:22-26; Matt 8:8; Rom 10:8-10, 17; Rom 12:2; Prov 18:21; James 4:7)

10. WE BELIEVE Jesus died Spiritually, when the Spirit of God abandoned Him while Jesus was on the cross, causing Him to cry out "My God My God why have your forsaken me?" Jesus suffered Spiritual death so we could be made free from spiritual death by becoming born-again Christians. (Rev 1:18; Matt 27:46; John 3:2-8; 1 Pet 1:23; Isa 53:9; Acts 2:24; Rom 6:9; Ps 22)

12. WE BELIEVE every good thing comes from God and anything that kills steal, or destroys is not from God, nor is it His will. He gives abundant life. It is the Holy Spirit who guides us into all truth, and the scriptures that instructs us, not negative situations. (2 Tim 3:16; John 16:13; Ps 145:9; James 1:17; John 10:10; Matt 7:11)

13. WE BELIEVE prosperity is for all believers, for the whole man, spirit, soul, and body.The Lord has pleasure in the prosperity of those who serve Him. (Josh 1:8; Ps 35:27; Ps 103:3; Ps 122:7; Prov 10:22; Prov 28:20; John 10:10; Gal 3:13; 3 John 1:2)
Belief #7 appears to be the father of name-it-and-claim-it.
Belief #10 appears to be an old heresy revived.
Belief #12 appears to teach contrary to holy scripture - for example God's command to Abraham to sacrifice his son (kill him) and its nature as a type of Christ who was killed as a sacrifice in conformity to God's purposes.
Belief #13 appears to affirm prosperity as a blessing to be expected in this world.

for #7 it is important to realize that the renewing of the mind (so that it is in harmony with God's will in all things) is essential, and that this necessary step comes BEFORE saying anything. The WOF example in this is Jesus when He said "I do what I see my Father doing".
Therefore if God and His perfect will does not go before, then nothing is possible.

the prosperity gospel leaves out this necessary step, so that man is saying whatever HE wants, and not what God wants.

Number 10. to be separated from God the Father is to be spiritually dead in sin. It was our sins that Jesus voluntarily took upon Himself that separated Him from a Holy God.
One more reason why He told Mary Magdalin not to touch Him while He was in such a state, before Jesus as our High Priest took those sins into the Holy of Holys in heaven to present them as a sin offering to God.

number 12. Every good thing does come from God. anything else is from satan as a result of either the original sin, or of our own sins.
It is God's will that we lead perfect lives that glorify Him. God's command to Abraham was indeed to test whether Abraham could follow the will of God in faith.
When Abraham did exhibit that faith, God stayed his hand, and provided the sacrifice Himself.

number 13. Understanding God's prosperity versus what the world calls prosperity is the key here--and it is also the difference between WOF and the Prosperity gospel.
God's prosperity is a full measure of what is required for a man, woman, or child to exist for each day, and trusting that God will supply what is necessary.

The example here is God's care of the Israelites while they wandered in the desert for 40 years. They were cared for, watched over, guided, fed , clothed, and housed all by God. It was a full measure, in that they had what they needed for that day, but not so much that it was wasted. And because they were on the move, what God provided could also be easily transported. Only on Fridays was an extra measure of manna provided so that they would have enough for the next day as well, when they rested.

What the world calls prosperity is vastly different from what God sees as prosperity.
So when people look at WOF and expect to benefit from worldly prosperity, (or expect WOF to teach worldly prosperity),
it's no wonder that many come away confused when they are taught biblical prosperity instead.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am curious to know who the main proponents of Word of Faith teaching are, can you name some of the major teachers in this movement, men (or women) who have your respect?
E.W. Kenyon for starters:
If you can only get a couple, get:
"The Father and His Family" & "What Happened from the Cross and the Throne".

Others:
"The Two Kinds of Knowledge"
"The Wonderful Name of Jesus"
"Jesus the Healer"
"The Two Kinds of Faith"
"In His Presence"
"New Creation Realities"
"The Hidden Man"
"The New Kind of Love"
"The Two Kinds of Life"
(I am indebted to our wonderful friend, dids, for the above list)

followed by Kenneth Hagen.

DO NOT read Hank Hanagraff

and fyi, Joyce Meyers, Creflo Dollar, Prince, Joel Osteen et al are NOT WOF.
they are of the prosperity gospel, (wolves in sheep's clothing)
but are assumed by many who do not know otherwise to be WOF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Others:
"Jesus the Healer"
"The Two Kinds of Faith"
"In His Presence"
"New Creation Realities"
"The Hidden Man"
"The New Kind of Love"
"The Two Kinds of Life"

Quick question - who is Prince? Somebody new, or do you mean Derek Prince?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yes, Derek Prince...could not remember his first name.
Was not aware of that.

My husband is listening to him these days. I heard a segment where he said the Eucharist WAS the Body and Blood of Christ, which surprised me, and heard him talking about exorcising demons ... that was what I know of his teaching.

I suppose maybe that's why he got so upset when I told him what funeral arrangements I want, should the need arise. He doesn't want me to speak of it. Thank you for the heads-up ...

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Others:
"Jesus the Healer"
"The Two Kinds of Faith"
"In His Presence"
"New Creation Realities"
"The Hidden Man"
"The New Kind of Love"
"The Two Kinds of Life"

Kenneth Hagan has a terrible reputation as a purveyor of heresy and he learned much of his doctrine from the writings of E W Kenyon. I've browsed in some of Kenyon's writings and read some of Hagan's and I remember how Hagan's book "bible faith study course" affected people in my local Assembly of God (now known as Australian Christian Church) and I cannot help but think that the overall impact of the teaching from these sources is seriously bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Kenneth Hagan has a terrible reputation as a purveyor of heresy and he learned much of his doctrine from the writings of E W Kenyon. I've browsed in of Kenyon's writings and read some of Hagan's and I remember how Hagan's book "bible faith study course" affected people in my local Assembly of God (now known as Australian Christian Church) and I cannot help but think that the overall impact of the teaching from these sources is seriously bad.

Dear MC, for the purposes of this forum you are correct; for a Catholic, (for the purpose of the discussion, let's call them potatoes) anything outside of the Church is heresy.
but for the purposes of the question posed, the OP is trying to distinguish between WOF (oranges) and the Prosperity Gospel (lemons).

Currently the WOF forum is made up of a mixed bin of oranges and lemons and grapefruit, so yes, it is understandably difficult to sort between the doctrines.
And yes, for anyone looking for vegetables, they would know that a fruit is not a vegetable. OK?

Reactions: MoreCoffee
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Dear MC, for the purposes of this forum you are correct; for a Catholic, (for the purpose of the discussion, let's call them potatoes) anything outside of the Church is heresy.
but for the purposes of the question posed, the OP is trying to distinguish between WOF (oranges) and the Prosperity Gospel (lemons).

Currently the WOF forum is made up of a mixed bin of oranges and lemons and grapefruit, so yes, it is understandably difficult to sort between the doctrines.
And yes, for anyone looking for vegetables, they would know that a fruit is not a vegetable. OK?
Hugs to you dear pdudgeon :)

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What Biblical support are THEY claiming for their beliefs?

The obvious is John 10:10 where Jesus promised to give us life abundantly. There are lots more scriptures that seem to support the idea that God will reward us on this earth.

http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/1095/what-is-the-argument-for-prosperity-gospel

IMHO, this kind of nonsense is acceptable because many do not recognize any Church teaching authority other than the personal interpretation by the own local church or church organization.

My Baptist mentor once told me that if he it do over again, he would be much more pentecostal. However, he strongly warned against the idea that the lack of faith is the reason that prayers aren't answered in the ways that we wish. This idea is extremely harmful to the body of Christ, and to the most vulnerable among us. This view is also quite common is prosperity gospel circles, as well as in some pentecostal faith communities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The is the obvious John 10:10 where Jesus promised to give us life abundantly. There are lots more scriptures that seem to support the idea that God will reward us on this earth.

http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/1095/what-is-the-argument-for-prosperity-gospel

IMHO, this kind of nonsense is acceptable because many do not recognize any Church teaching authority other than the personal interpretation by the own local church or church organization.

My Baptist mentor once told me that if he it do over again, he would be much more pentecostal. However, he strongly warned against the idea that the lack of faith is the reason that prayers aren't answered in the ways that we wish. This idea is extremely harmful to the body of Christ, and to the most vulnerable among us. This view is also quite common is prosperity gospel circles, as well as in some pentecostal faith communities.

agreed, it is the misinterpretation of the word 'abundantly' in John 10:10,
and then applying that misinterpretation to our earthly lives that is the root source of the confusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums