✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What was in His will?
God's will is, He has control of whether or not we have prosperity, health etc. If our prayers go unanswered then it was in His will and not the lack of faith on our part. This is the Will of God.

"Pray then like this: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
God's will is, He has control of whether or not we have prosperity, health etc. If our prayers go unanswered then it was in His will and not the lack of faith on our part. This is the Will of God.

"Pray then like this: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"
In light of John 14:14 could prayers go unanswered?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was speaking directly to His Apostles. They performed mighty works in the name of the Lord. Yet when we read on in Acts, Paul was not healed of his thorn in his side though he prayed earnestly for relief. Even Timothy had a bad stomach and was not healed.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are in a forum where you are going to get a lot of unwanted responses. There is a Word of Faith forum and I'm asking @Bumble Bee or @Brent W to move this to that forum. You will find fellowship there.
Maybe though on a deeper level he may want to hear from other Christians, because it's not enough to just stay in an echo chamber of only reinforcing some doctrines over and over. It's not safe to rely on men and their doctrines as one's guide, so the best possible thing that can happen is to hear words from Christ that will bring light into the darkness.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you from Word of faith movement?
Had not learned anything about it until just yesterday.

Is this accurate? --

"Word of Faith teaching holds that God wants his people to prosper in all areas of life, including finances, health, marriage, and relationships. Word of Faith teaches that God's blessing empowers his people to achieve the Bible's promises.[5] Thus, suffering does not come from God, but from Satan. Kenneth Copeland's ministry has said that God does not use suffering for our benefit, and this idea is "a deception of Satan" and "absolutely against the Word of God." [6] If someone is not experiencing prosperity, it is because they have given Satan authority over their lives, and God will not do anything except when a believer invites him to."
Word of Faith - Wikipedia

Our Savior Jesus Christ says:

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, c your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, d your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Matthew 6 NIV

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you don't believe in John 14:14?
Yes, I do believe in John 14:13 and I also believe Jesus was speaking directly to the Apostles. They were given a mandate to spread the Gospel after they have been filled with the Holy Spirit along with signs of miracles that would follow them. If you take this verse to mean every Christian, by asking in the name of Jesus, will get what ever they want, you may be expecting more than what is in God's will.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do believe in John 14:13 and I also believe Jesus was speaking directly to the Apostles. They were given a mandate to spread the Gospel after they have been filled with the Holy Spirit along with signs of miracles that would follow them. If you take this verse to mean every Christian, by asking in the name of Jesus, will get what ever they want, you may be expecting more than what is in God's will.
Blessings
It's true for all of us that we can ask in Jesus name with faith and those prayers will be answered, but for things in accord with the will of God.

Not for things that go against the will of God, for instance making money and wealth one's goal.

The will of God has been revealed through the teachings of Christ Jesus, including those quoted just above.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Had not learned anything about it until just yesterday.

Is this accurate? --

"Word of Faith teaching holds that God wants his people to prosper in all areas of life, including finances, health, marriage, and relationships. Word of Faith teaches that God's blessing empowers his people to achieve the Bible's promises.[5] Thus, suffering does not come from God, but from Satan. Kenneth Copeland's ministry has said that God does not use suffering for our benefit, and this idea is "a deception of Satan" and "absolutely against the Word of God." [6] If someone is not experiencing prosperity, it is because they have given Satan authority over their lives, and God will not do anything except when a believer invites him to."
Word of Faith - Wikipedia

Our Savior Jesus Christ says:

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, c your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, d your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Matthew 6 NIV
Amid suffering does God teach about the faith which saves from suffering?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Blessings
So you believe John 14:14 is not for you? So be it according to your faith?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,460.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God always answers prayer, it's just that the answer might not be what we were expecting.
Too often I hear, "my prayers were not answered" - meaning " I didn't get the answer I wanted". But God knows the desires of our hearts and our innermost needs.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
God always answers prayer, it's just that the answer might not be what we were expecting.
Too often I hear, "my prayers were not answered" - meaning " I didn't get the answer I wanted". But God knows the desires of our hearts and our innermost needs.
it's just that the answer might not be what we were expecting.

Did Jesus say one might not get what one expects in John 14:14?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,460.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus say one might not get what one expects in John 14:14?

Asking in his name means asking according to his will. Many people seem to think we can just tag "in Jesus' name" onto the end of a prayer to "guarantee" we will get what we ask for; as if God is a celestial Father Christmas.
Jesus himself prayed, "if it is possible, let his cup pass from me". You would think that God would be bound to reply to the prayers of his own Son - yet Jesus added "nevertheless, not my will but yours be done", Mark 14:36.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Asking in his name means asking according to his will. Many people seem to think we can just tag "in Jesus' name" onto the end of a prayer to "guarantee" we will get what we ask for; as if God is a celestial Father Christmas.
Jesus himself prayed, "if it is possible, let his cup pass from me". You would think that God would be bound to reply to the prayers of his own Son - yet Jesus added "nevertheless, not my will but yours be done", Mark 14:36.
Did Jesus sacrifice His desire in Gethsamane in order for God to grant ours?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,460.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus sacrifice His desire in Gethsamane in order for God to grant ours?

No, Jesus obeyed his Father's will and gave his life as a sacrifice so that we could be reconciled to God, be forgiven and have eternal life. That was why he came; that was God's will from the beginning, 1 Peter 1:19-20, Genesis 3:15.
He did not die in agony primarily so that we could have a good, or comfortable, life during our temporary stay on earth, but so that we would be with, and reign with, him in heaven.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
No, Jesus obeyed his Father's will and gave his life as a sacrifice so that we could be reconciled to God, be forgiven and have eternal life. That was why he came; that was God's will from the beginning, 1 Peter 1:19-20, Genesis 3:15.
He did not die in agony primarily so that we could have a good, or comfortable, life during our temporary stay on earth, but so that we would be with, and reign with, him in heaven.
Are we eligible for God's promises based on Christ's death & resurrection according to 2 Corinthians 1:20?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you believe John 14:14 is not for you? So be it according to your faith?
I get a sense you are trying to lead me into confusion by asking the same question in different ways. It is not successful. I have made my case, IMO ,several times. But I will leave you with knowledge that God answered my prayer yesterday according to His Will, not mine, and this small miracle was witnessed by two unbelievers who now have had their conscience pinched.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0