• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

WooHoo Submission

Discussion in 'Married Couples' started by JaneFW, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaneFW

JaneFW Well-Known Member

+570
    Christian
    Married
    Terrifying. Absolutely and completely.

2. McScribe

McScribe Me

+349
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    I've read stuff on their website a few times and never found it particularly biblical. I have found it fairly appealing to people who want their pastors to be a kind of sergeant major to God's commanding officer.

3. McScribe

McScribe Me

+349
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    I spend my late childhood to early adolescence in a household like that. I don't recommend it.

4. Created2Write

Created2Write His Pink Princess

+247
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yuck. I feel like puking after reading that. Bleh. Uggh. Time for me to go brush my teeth...

5. illudium_phosdex

illudium_phosdex Insert witty title here.

+402
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Thank you so much, Psalm 63. I've spent the last hour trying to find that particular passage in her book. It's on page 174 by the way for reference. But here's couple of other gems of wisdom from said same source.

Page 263 (emphasis mine)

In regards to men who have broken the law in any way:

Page 270

These are direct quotes from the woman. I don't get how bringing up this being taught in church whether it be from the pulpit or in women's Bible study is disingenuous when the question was if we'd been privy to this kind of teaching in church. I know what I'm talking about thank you very much!

6. hijklmnop

hijklmnop Guest

+0
    I'm sorry. :(

7. hijklmnop

hijklmnop Guest

+0
    I am without words. I almost can't stand to see people posting quotes for fear that anyone reads the words and thinks there's a grain of truth to them. :(

8. McScribe

McScribe Me

+349
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Thank you. I hate the idea of anyone being abused. But the worst thing is when people use a mode of seeming righteousness to do it, and use the thing that is the worst weapon of the abuser to even more evil effect: the sense of shame. That the abuse victim must be a bad person to receive the abuse.

9. boxes

boxes Guest

+0
    I dont think the submission thing really needs to be brought up other than in pre marital discussions or marital counseling. There is no reason to bring up an emotionally charged topic unless there is a good reason like if 2 people are getting married or if the marriage is on the rocks the issue may very well be a lack of submission to no fault of the husband but that should be on a case by case basis.

Why does a happy couple sitting in church need to hear a debbie downer sermon on submission, they likely heard it before they were married and are likely practicing it if they are in at least a 90% happy marriage.

I dont think downer topics need to be preached from the pulpit they need to be preached on a one on one basis when its relavent, life is already hard enough we dont need to bring up downer topics for no reason.

My wife is awesome and makes me very happy and is submissive why does she need to be beat over the head by a sunday sermon. Now if you have a bossy or feminist wife and are not happy with her then maybe you need to get some counseling and im sure the submission issue will come up. If she keeps it up (and its not because your drinking or gambling or beating the hell out of her or the kids) then it could lead to a divorce that is her fault.

10. Romanseight2005

Romanseight2005 Guest

+0
    Okay, O just read the article, and I xaught the part about trivializing dating. This is very common. It essentially says, that if a woman doesn't choose well, then she's stuck with what she gets. The problem with this thinking though, is that people can lead double lives, really well.

I work with a woman who's husband was leading a complete double life. He had a whole seperate family in another state. Sine he took business trips, he pulled it off. He was thoughtful, involved, and caring, when he was with her, and their children. How can she be held accountable for his hidden double living? It's just not fair.

11. hijklmnop

hijklmnop Guest

+0
    If you think that couples in a 90% happy marriage are therefore practicing submission, then why WOULDN'T it be taught? It would seem ridiculous NOT to teach something that you say is so necessary for a happy marriage. It would also be ridiculous for submission to be a "downer" topic if it is such a a positive thing.

12. Johnnz

Johnnz Senior Veteran Supporter

+891
    Christian
    Widowed
    There is no chain of authority taught in Scripture. That's a medieval concept sneaking into Christendom. A wife's submission is to the self sacrificing love of her husband, not a domestic overlord.

Those quotes are horrifying. I have witnessed the outcome of such teaching and the lives of women and children who have been horribly trashed by abusive men.

John
    NZ

13. boxes

boxes Guest

+0
    I guess if it came across in a positive way it would be good, I just think if things are good on that front for most or all of the couples in the church they can move on to different things. Its like harping on quiting smoking when you quite 4 years ago

14. Avniel

Avniel Doing my part each day by being the best me

+390
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Democrat
    There is no chain of authority I do agree with that.

However I would like to see biblical supporting scriptures in regaurds to bolded.

15. Johnnz

Johnnz Senior Veteran Supporter

+891
    Christian
    Widowed

Eph 5:25-26 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her NIV

Matt 20:28
    just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." NIV

John 10:11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. NIV

John
    NZ

16. chaz345

chaz345 Well-Known Member

+543
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    But you agree that the teaching being talked bout has little to nothing to do with the concept of Eph 5 right?

17. chaz345

chaz345 Well-Known Member

+543
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I would suggest that those verses are inappropriately used by women to selfishly control men in the same way that other verses are used by men to selfishly control women.

18. Psalm63

Psalm63 Well-Known Member

+131
    Christian
    Married
    :(

McScribe, I just have to say that I think God is very proud of you for overcoming the pain that comes with such a hurtful situation and growing into a man after God's own heart- allowing Him to make "beauty from ashes" because I have seen a beautiful spirit from you toward your former wife and stepsons and I believe your imprint was very important to those boys, though it was brief. You chose such an infinitely higher path than what your adolescent household role modeled.

Hope you don't mind my saying that.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  19. Psalm63

Psalm63 Well-Known Member

+131
    Christian
    Married
    :thumbsup:

20. McScribe

McScribe Me

+349
    Christian