Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this topic has been discussed at length multiple times over many years, however, it is one that doesn't seem to get old. There are two sides of the coin strongly voicing their opinion on the matter, and I rarely see the issue lie in the middle. I would like to hear from other Christians what their thoughts are on this!

I have read things from progressive Christians, saying things like there are no such thing as gender roles anymore and no man should tell them what to do. On the opposite side, I have read things like women shouldn't venture out to go to college, get jobs or be in the world outside the home, lest she compete with men and be influenced by the evils of the world. I have read that it goes against God's design for women to have a career, quoting verses such as Titus 2:5 and 1 Timothy 5:14...with some such as "The Transformed Wife" even going so far as to say that it is a sin for a woman to work outside the home.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have no problem with it. In fact, in today's day and a time sometimes it is just about a have to. Are you looking for advice or debate?

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have no problem with it. In fact, in today's day and a time sometimes it is just about a have to. Are you looking for advice or debate?
This is the advice forum. Debate is not permitted here.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is the advice forum. Debate is not permitted here.
I know that is why I asked I am trying to figure out based on her asking for thoughts if she was looking for advice or if she maybe posted it in the wrong forum and needed to be moved. Based on the wording of the post.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Many times, single mothers are COMPELLED to work outside the home. It just is what it is. On another note, Proverbs 31 highlights God's own definition of what a Godly woman is, and she worked "outside the home" and in fact had her own business and was in step with the best of the merchants.

It also delves into more detail of how she was a blessing to her husband and household and that her husband was able to safely trust in her, for she would do him good, and not evil all the days of her life.

Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious as to what others think! I have come from a background that shames women for wanting to do anything extra besides marriage and babies - of course I do believe that if a woman does choose marriage and a family, these things should come FIRST and outside work should be used to help the family. Though in my upbringing there was really no middle ground, it was either only stay home or else you're just a feminist who is breaking the family apart.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm curious as to what others think! I have come from a background that shames women for wanting to do anything extra besides marriage and babies - of course I do believe that if a woman does choose marriage and a family, these things should come FIRST and outside work should be used to help the family. Though in my upbringing there was really no middle ground, it was either only stay home or else you're just a feminist who is breaking the family apart.
Sometimes women have to work either because they are single people/mothers OR because their partner does not bring in enough to support the family in a given area.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know this topic has been discussed at length multiple times over many years, however, it is one that doesn't seem to get old. There are two sides of the coin strongly voicing their opinion on the matter, and I rarely see the issue lie in the middle. I would like to hear from other Christians what their thoughts are on this!

I have read things from progressive Christians, saying things like there are no such thing as gender roles anymore and no man should tell them what to do. On the opposite side, I have read things like women shouldn't venture out to go to college, get jobs or be in the world outside the home, lest she compete with men and be influenced by the evils of the world. I have read that it goes against God's design for women to have a career, quoting verses such as Titus 2:5 and 1 Timothy 5:14...with some such as "The Transformed Wife" even going so far as to say that it is a sin for a woman to work outside the home.

Well, those probably are the two extreme positions, but most people are somewhere between them, I am sure.

Put another way, you want a sampling of opinion about your issue; and I feel confident that if you were to poll a thousand Christians of a range of denominations you would find what I suggested to be true--most of them will be somewhere in the middle, even if the views from the extremes get more attention online, in the press, etc.

Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes women have to work either because they are single people/mothers OR because their partner does not bring in enough to support the family in a given area.
My father would claim that means they're not having enough faith in God to provide for them!

My sister worked at a fast food place and one of her coworkers was a mother and her husband also worked. My mother didn't even know the woman, but talked about what a bad mother this lady was for working outside the home...yep at a glamorous fast food joint...because obviously she needed the "luxury" of that income to make ends meet.

Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, those probably are the two extreme positions, but most people are somewhere between them, I am sure.

Put another way, you want a sampling of opinion about your issue; and I feel confident that if you were to poll a thousand Christians of a range of denominations you would find what I suggested to be true--most of them will be somewhere in the middle, even if the views from the extremes get more attention online, in the press, etc.
This is an interesting point and I think you're correct!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I know that you're asking about women working outside the home, but I'd like to address one aspect of this--moms working outside the home.

I worked my way through college mostly working in a daycare center. After I got my degree, I was a public school teacher. I worked with so many kids who weren't getting what they needed from home because both parents worked outside the home full-time.

After I got married, I told the Lord that if He ever gave me children, I would stay home and raise them. God always made a way for me to keep my promise to Him--always! I ended up home schooling my kids, which was a huge blessing!

Even though I wouldn't say that a Christian woman should never work outside the home, I would like to encourage Christian moms to pray about giving their kids the most they can by staying home with them as much as possible. There are so many opportunities to work from home these days.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My father would claim that means they're not having enough faith in God to provide for them!

My sister worked at a fast food place and one of her coworkers was a mother and her husband also worked. My mother didn't even know the woman, but talked about what a bad mother this lady was for working outside the home...yep at a glamorous fast food joint...because obviously she needed the "luxury" of that income to make ends meet.
With all due respect to your father sometimes God uses work to provide for you. In fact, in most cases if the above is the case He in fact expects you to work.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,296.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious as to what others think! I have come from a background that shames women for wanting to do anything extra besides marriage and babies
Can you give me an advice where does this background exist? :) I meet only career-centered Christian women.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know that you're asking about women working outside the home, but I'd like to address one aspect of this--moms working outside the home.

I worked my way through college mostly working in a daycare center. After I got my degree, I was a public school teacher. I worked with so many kids who weren't getting what they needed from home because both parents worked outside the home full-time.

After I got married, I told the Lord that if He ever gave me children, I would stay home and raise them. God always made a way for me to keep my promise to Him--always! I ended up home schooling my kids, which was a huge blessing!

Even though I wouldn't say that a Christian woman should never work outside the home, I would like to encourage Christian moms to pray about giving their kids the most they can by staying home with them as much as possible. There are so many opportunities to work from home these days.
and if you can afford to do it it is great to stay at home when your kids are younger ( especially since daycare can be costly, but some people ( especially in your larger cities) are caught between a high cost of living and high childcare.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Read the Proverbs 31 wife....

It describes a woman who is running a successful business and keeping the house in order.

That is a woman who can work outside the house if need be. A woman who is smart, clever, and wise/shrewd in order to make a business thrive / succeed.

In also keeping things in order in the house (and obviously the business too) is a woman with very good leadership qualities.

Those who use verses as Titus 2:5, etc are taking the interpretation too plainly and out of context (out of cultural context) which is wrong.

There are many examples of women in the Bible who works outside home which would be a contradiction if Titus 2:5 is taken literally (or the cultural context ignored)

Nothing wrong with a woman pursuing a career, being financially independent as we have examples of Godly women in the Bible who are such!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is going to quickly blow up into a heated debate.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you give me an advice where does this background exist? :) I meet only career-centered Christian women.
Well...my family was extremely conservative; we lived in a rural area, were homeschooled, my mother stayed at home, my parents were mostly against colleges and many things were seen as "worldly" or "liberal". Just the term "career woman" was like saying "devil woman"! My family adopted the patriarchal teachings started with Vision Forum. My father even took us out of the church because he believed he should be the pastor of his family and no other man should teach us...which is the reason we were homeschooled as well.

Upvote 0

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
and if you can afford to do it it is great to stay at home when your kids are younger ( especially since daycare can be costly, but some people ( especially in your larger cities) are caught between a high cost of living and high childcare.
I know this can be difficult, but God always makes a way to do His will, and I knew that it was His will for me to stay home with my children. :)

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
have had the best of both worlds
we didn't become parents right away so worked, travelled, volunteered, etc

when became parents, fortunate to be a sahm
if one is able to be a sahm, it is wonderful to be there until your child starts school
took pictures pretty much everyday
love looking back at all we did, how happy our child was playing, and the funny captured moments

Last edited:
Upvote 0