Women working after having children?

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was asked by one of the guys to repost in here, so that the men could chime in, so I have... :)

What do you think about women continuing to work after they have a child?

I am planning to, and although in 'normal' life in Australia, my Christian friends barely bat an eyelid - mention it on CF (or the majority of Christian forums), and it would be like I'd blasphemed! ^_^

It has more amused me than anything. People assume that I must have a million dollar house or something if I 'have' to work - which isn't the case.

What do you guys think about this? Why is it 'wrong' for a woman to work after children in Christian culture, yet a man never gets given a hard time about 'abandoning his family' or 'being selfish' because he goes to work.

If I didn't work, my husband would have to work an 80 hour week for us to live - which I think is far more worse for our kids, than me working a few days/week, whilst hubby is home.

But yeah - why do you think it is SO frowned upon in a Christian culture?

Sasch

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Your entire thread is skewed from the start. You are doing nothing but compairing societal norms. As Christians we have our baseline as the Bible, not what everyone else is doing.

I don't think anyone can say it is straight up wrong to work after kids. If you need too you need to. But that raises the question, what do you really need? Are you working for the 'extras' or are you working for what you really need.
Alot of american ladies work for the BMW instead of the Toyota. For the 2,700 sqft house instead of the 1,700 sqft house. To me, that is says your priorities are screwed up.

Kids do much better with thier moms nurturing them every step of the way. That statement is fact. Babies love thier moms and develop much quicker with that constant attention. Do you think the kid knows if you need to work outside the home or not? No, of course not. They simply know whether you are around or not.

I have made it my mission since i was in high school to create a career where my future wife would not have to work. My finance alone could support our family with her nursing career, easily a 6 figure income. However, she will not work when the kids are small, because they need so much and no kids of mine will ever go in daycare. If i couldn't afford to have her stay home, i wouldn't have kids.

When they get to school age, thats a different story. If she wants to work hrs while they are away, i'm cool with that.

Reactions: Tenorvoice
Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
(tuffguy I agree with you 100% with what you said)

But i will put a little different twist on it.

For a woman when she is married and has a family her life now consists of what you could refer to as three ring circus now. She has her home, her family (aka, husband and kids), and she has a job.

Now if one of there three areas starts to fail in her performance in any way shape or form then the first one that needs to be droped is the job, her calling first and formost is to be a mother, and wife.

John MacArthur sermon of the role of a wife, can she work outside of the home.

Also more sermons of John MacArthur's if you scroll down you will find about 12 different sermons of his on the roles of Women. You can either ask for the tapes, or take the time to read them.....(I would get the tapes, he can be pretty longwinded ;) )

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
Like it was previously stated, the main question to ask yourself is why. If its to pay the bills, no problem there. By all means, do what you have to do. But if its to feed the "more" addiction, then there are deeper problems to face.

When I get married, I never want to have kids unless I'm able to stay home for their first few years at least. I understand life tends to mess up our plans, but it's something I'd like to try going for. I'm going to have a hard time giving up my career for awhile if that time ever comes. As a physics major, a lot of hard work is going into my degree and it would seem like a waste to quit working outside the home. But if I have that option, I’d do it for my kids. Tuffguy—you’re one in a million for what you’re doing for your future wife and children. So few are willing to do that kind of work. It’d be much easier on us females if more men were willing to do this. A lot of pressure is put on us to be godly wives that stay home with children, but it seems not equal pressure is put on men to make that situation even possible for us.

Maybe I can help explain how this all works from a child’s perspective. I was raised by daycare until about age 10. There are blocks of time in my childhood where I don't remember seeing my dad at all--for years at a time. This isn't because he left us, but because he left for work before I got up for school and came back home after I was already asleep. This included weekends and most Sundays. I stayed in day care every day after school until around 7 or 8. I could tell you horror story after horror story about the way kids treated each other in that place. Around 5th grade, I was no longer able to be put in day care because of my age. I instead stayed home alone after school until my mom came home late. I happened to be dealing with puberty issues at that time, very early compared to my classmates. I was so much taller than everyone and had no friends--those who didn't make fun of me were afraid of me. None of these were unique problems by any means, but it was very tough.. I was still so young and I felt like I had no one to turn to because my mom was never home. No one was ever there to explain to me that this was normal. This home environment plus some certain life events fermented and lead to a deep hatred of self I held on to for many years. I’d rather not talk about the details of that part—some things still stick around with me today. Some of those things were inevitable but the main thing that made it unable to heal was I had no one at home to help. I’ve never asked my parents for advice because they were never around for it. I couldn’t tell you a single lesson I’ve learned from them, except that debt isn’t worth it.

They worked every hour of my childhood because they wanted their dream house. By no means is it extravagant, its much smaller than the average but it was a dream house compared to their salaries. They wanted it so badly that they’d give up their family for it. They bought a house and could never enjoy it—the house that ended up feeling like my childhood prison.

A very curious thing happened after I moved out. My dad got a new job that took him away from home even more. My mom lost her job for awhile and had to spend a lot of time at home because of her arthritis. For a long period, she was constantly alone in her own house unable to leave, just waiting the whole day away for my dad to get home. She called me one day and apologized—said that she understands now how I must have felt!

My parents are now preparing to sell the house and buy something small and cozy—to finally make a real home out of it. My roommates and I are looking for an apartment in the same area. I’m looking forward to finally having a family again! ^_^

So before doing anything, make sure you have a good grasp on why. Houses, cars, jobs, money.. none of it is worth putting your kids in day care or leaving them alone to be raised by anyone other than you.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I fully intend to work if I have kids and my future husband better just deal with it. If the model woman is found in Proverbs 31, who was a working woman, then I think I'm fine.

I know many kids with both working parents and to be quite honest they are no less happy or adjusted then those kids with a SAHM. My mom worked and I dont think that I am any less of a person because of it.

There are also other alternatives to daycare and that is not the only option that parents have.

Some women would not be happy staying at home all the time. Is it good for kids to have a mother who is unhappy to have to stay home?

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
I fully intend to work if I have kids and my future husband better just deal with it. If the model woman is found in Proverbs 31, who was a working woman, then I think I'm fine.

I know many kids with both working parents and to be quite honest they are no less happy or adjusted then those kids with a SAHM. My mom worked and I dont think that I am any less of a person because of it.

There are also other alternatives to daycare and that is not the only option that parents have.

Some women would not be happy staying at home all the time. Is it good for kids to have a mother who is unhappy to have to stay home?

Your husband just needs to deal with it? This isn't about power, its about the welfare of the children involved.

The center of the Proverbs 31 woman's life was God and her family. Many wives in our country don't work for the benefit of their families, but for the sake of working and for the sake of gaining more stuff that they don't need.

Not working doesn't equal staying at home all day. For example, my (older and mature) children and I could volunteer at a hospital or shelter three times a week, during times they aren't in school. I could also take my young children to the park and teach them about the Bible. I could take them to their grand-parents house to help with yard work. I could take them on errands with me and teach them how to find groceries. The list goes on. Kids really love to feel like they're of use to the household.

In all of these things, I could be teaching them every step of the way. I could teach them the value of hard work and service. This isn't available in day care. I know--I was raised there.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Your husband just needs to deal with it? This isn't about power, its about the welfare of the children involved.

The center of the Proverbs 31 woman's life was God and her family. Many wives in our country don't work for the benefit of their families, but for the sake of working and for the sake of gaining more stuff that they don't need.

Not working doesn't equal staying at home all day. For example, my (older and mature) children and I could volunteer at a hospital or shelter three times a week, during times they aren't in school. I could also take my young children to the park and teach them about the Bible. I could take them to their grand-parents house to help with yard work. I could take them on errands with me and teach them how to find groceries. The list goes on. Kids really love to feel like they're of use to the household.

In all of these things, I could be teaching them every step of the way. I could teach them the value of hard work and service. This isn't available in day care. I know--I was raised there.

Yes he would need to deal with it, and thank you, but I I know this is not a power thing. I am not bad mouthing women who choose to stay home, I commend them for it, and I know that it is not something that I could do.

I have always wanted to work and have a career, even when I was little. I have NEVER seen myself staying home raising kids, but I don't look down on those who choose to. And man, you must think I'm stupid or something. I never said that being a SAHM meant that you lock yourself and the kids in the house all day, I don't know where you got that idea.

And I know that daycare is not a great choice but there are many other options. I would never put my child in day care either.

Please don't preach to me about my choices about how I will choose to live me life, I didn't fault you for your convictions so please don't fault me for mine:)

Also, I never said that because I will choose to work that my family life will take a back seat. My family will ALWAYS come first. But I think that I would be a better mother if I have the ability to go out and have a regular career.

Upvote 0

pepperfish

Feb 24, 2007
Pennsylvania
✟9,020.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I'm a little biased in my opinion, since I'm not going to have kids in the first place...therefore I don't have to worry about this problem. BUT if I did have kids, I would still work. I've always been very ambitious, and a career is so important to me that I would never give that up to stay home with kids.

Plus, I agree with what ChildofGod1586 said.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fuzzymel

Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I never intend on having kids but if I ever had my brainwashed or something and I decided I wanted them I would have no choice but to work.

I am the qualified one in the family and I earn the most by quite a bit of money. This means nothing to us after all the money we earn is our money. It also means that not working is not an option.

My mum worked and I never missed out on anything. I would rather she worked than stay at home and go crazy.

I know of someone (quite well actually) who suffered depression from having to stay at home with the child so much so that she gave the child away. Not everyone is suited to staying at home.

I know I would probably loose my mind doing nothing all day. Getting out of the house and working keeps me sane.

Upvote 0

Krystina661

- Everyday is a new beginning -
Dec 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟11,676.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I know I would probably loose my mind doing nothing all day.

Oh my Lord, I cannot believe you just said that!:mad:

Stay at home mothers do not just do nothing all day! I am a stay at home mother, and I never get a chance to sit down! It's a lot of work running a home and taking care of children!

Upvote 0

pepperfish

Feb 24, 2007
Pennsylvania
✟9,020.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I never intend on having kids but if I ever had my brainwashed or something and I decided I wanted them I would have no choice but to work.

I am the qualified one in the family and I earn the most by quite a bit of money. This means nothing to us after all the money we earn is our money. It also means that not working is not an option.

My mum worked and I never missed out on anything. I would rather she worked than stay at home and go crazy.

I know of someone (quite well actually) who suffered depression from having to stay at home with the child so much so that she gave the child away. Not everyone is suited to staying at home.

I know I would probably loose my mind doing nothing all day. Getting out of the house and working keeps me sane.

This was a really good post.:amen:
I'm not sure yet who will be making more money when my boyfriend are finished with college and find jobs, but we're both going to be majoring in the same thing, and will most likely end up with similar jobs and salaries. I liked what you said about how it doesn't matter who makes more, because it's all going to the same place.

Upvote 0

Krystina661

- Everyday is a new beginning -
Dec 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟11,676.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Getting your kids off to school, making sure laundry is done, dinner is cooked and on the table, all rooms are cleaned, running errands, food shopping..

Stay at home mother's sure don't get enough credit.. IMO

Reactions: Tenorvoice
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh my Lord, I cannot believe you just said that!:mad:

Stay at home mothers do not just do nothing all day! I am a stay at home mother, and I never get a chance to sit down! It's a lot of work running a home and taking care of children!

That is very true! I am a nanny and I get to leave at the end of the day. I honestly dont know how SAHMs do it all day. Thats why I hold them in such high regard.

But because its a hard job is not the reason that I dont want to be a SAHM before anybody questions me on that:)

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes he would need to deal with it, and thank you, but I I know this is not a power thing. I am not bad mouthing women who choose to stay home, I commend them for it, and I know that it is not something that I could do.

I have always wanted to work and have a career, even when I was little. I have NEVER seen myself staying home raising kids, but I don't look down on those who choose to. And man, you must think I'm stupid or something. I never said that being a SAHM meant that you lock yourself and the kids in the house all day, I don't know where you got that idea.

And I know that daycare is not a great choice but there are many other options. I would never put my child in day care either.

Please don't preach to me about my choices about how I will choose to live me life, I didn't fault you for your convictions so please don't fault me for mine:)

Also, I never said that because I will choose to work that my family life will take a back seat. My family will ALWAYS come first. But I think that I would be a better mother if I have the ability to go out and have a regular career.

No offense, but you're 20. You don't know jack squat about life or about making a living yet. For you a career is a job right now. It mutates into something totally different later in life when your expenses triple and your responsiblities increase 4 fold.

Do you even have that husband that just has to 'deal'? If you're fortunate, you'll marry a guy that has a pair and will not be a female lapdog.

I understand you have the perspective of 'doing it all' and being awesome at it all. Thats a good initiative. You just have to make sure you keep yourself in balance, of why. The big why.

The reason i take the view on this that i do (and posted earlier) is because i have no intention of using my wife as a wage slave. It is MY responsiblity and mine alone to support our family. I could never imagine asking her to take care of me and all my stuff, the house, the kids, the laundry, and all the million things that go along with that....and oh, by the way, i want you to work full time too.

My mom stayed home with my brother while we where small and in our teens. She was a fully educated nursing manager at 29 yrs old. Her staying home kept us out of alot of trouble to say the least.

Upvote 0

pepperfish

Feb 24, 2007
Pennsylvania
✟9,020.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The reason i take the view on this that i do (and posted earlier) is because i have no intention of using my wife as a wage slave. It is MY responsiblity and mine alone to support her. I could never imagine asking her to take care of me and all my stuff, the house, the kids, the laundry, and all the million things that go along with that....and oh, by the way, i want you to work full time too.

I respect your ideas on how your marriage will work, but for me there is no way I could do that. A career is just as important to me as it is for my SO. Plus, it's not as though I'll have all the other responsibilities you listed: there won't be any kids to take care of, and my SO and I are planning on contributing equally to any housework that needs done... Working won't be "just a job" for me, and it certainly won't make me a "wage slave". There's a reason I'm going to college, and that reason is NOT to waste a lot of time and money to be a housewife.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No offense, but you're 20. You don't know jack squat about life or about making a living yet. For you a career is a job right now. It mutates into something totally different later in life when your expenses triple and your responsiblities increase 4 fold.

Do you even have that husband that just has to 'deal'?

I understand you have the perspective of 'doing it all' and being awesome at it all. Thats a good initiative. You just have to make sure you keep yourself in balance, of why. The big why.

The reason i take the view on this that i do (and posted earlier) is because i have no intention of using my wife as a wage slave. It is MY responsiblity and mine alone to support her. I could never imagine asking her to take care of me and all my stuff, the house, the kids, the laundry, and all the million things that go along with that....and oh, by the way, i want you to work full time too.

You don't need to be insulting, geez. And actually yes I do know what its like to support yourself and what it actually takes to financially survive. I work 50 hrs a week just so I can attend school and get the career that I believe God has set out for me. And the job I have now is not my career, and I have never called it that.

No, I do not have a husband and don't plan on getting married for a few years. I am working very hard for what I want in life. No one will be asking me to take care of them, I WANT to work, I have ALWAYS wanted to work. The man I marry will not be any less of man just because his wife will work. I have no intention of becoming a "wage slave" as you so eloquently put it. I never said it would be easy to do what I want, but I will do it, because I believe that that is God's plan for my life.

Reactions: fuzzymel
Upvote 0

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've never really considered not working, I have had some deep conversations with a few of my guy friends about whether or not they would want their wives to work after they had children, they all said they didn't want them to, they want to be the providers for their family and I completely respect that. I guess if my husband wanted me to I would stay home until the children were old enough to go to school then I would go back to work. I don't want to home schooled so my kids would be gone during the day. Again, all this though would depend on my husband, it is definitely something we would have to talk about. If he earns enough and I could stay home then I might consider it more. I have a lot of respect for women who stay home with their children and don't work outside the home, there is a ton of work to do inside the house raising the children.

I guess for me it probably has something to do with how my family did things. My mom worked after I was born and again after my brother was born. There were times we went to my grandparents house for the day but we usually went to a babysitters house. Most people say they would never send their children to a babysitter, they don't want someone else raising their child, etc. For my family we developed close friends with the babysitters we had, I became good friends with their kids and we did a lot of stuff together. So I guess for me I had a good experience there.

Upvote 0