Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
728_Port-01.jpg

A picture says a thousand words

Women replace priests in Portugal

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Valyn
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,069.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As I understand it - these women are celebrating a Service of Holy Communion outside of Mass - i.e. there is no priest available

Quoted from the link given by mea kulpa

<<They still are not saying the Mass, but they carry out many functions that a priest normally does. From the altar they conduct the Sunday service, which consists in reading the Gospel and Epistle, commenting on them, directing the songs and prayers and distributing Communion to those present.

This practice has been encouraged by the priests themselves, as is the case of Fr. Manuel José Marques, who is in charge of seven parishes in the region of the Alentejo, Portugal. He directs a group of 16 laypeople – eight women and eight men – who give this type of assistance when he cannot be at one of his parishes.>>

<<
Fr. Marques says that there is nothing new in this practice since it was long planned by the Church and has been put into practice since the 1980s. He argues that these experiments have been made also in Germany, France, Switzerland and the United States. >>

And yes - I've quickly skimmed the articles that were linked from the Portuguese press - and with my exceedingly rusty and poor Portuguese understood exactly the same - these people are Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion - they are not pretending to be priests , they are celebrating a service which is permitted when it is not possible to have the presence of a priest.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
As I understand it - these women are celebrating a Service of Holy Communion outside of Mass - i.e. there is no priest available

Quoted from the link given by mea kulpa

<<They still are not saying the Mass, but they carry out many functions that a priest normally does. From the altar they conduct the Sunday service, which consists in reading the Gospel and Epistle, commenting on them, directing the songs and prayers and distributing Communion to those present.

This practice has been encouraged by the priests themselves, as is the case of Fr. Manuel José Marques, who is in charge of seven parishes in the region of the Alentejo, Portugal. He directs a group of 16 laypeople – eight women and eight men – who give this type of assistance when he cannot be at one of his parishes.>>

<<
Fr. Marques says that there is nothing new in this practice since it was long planned by the Church and has been put into practice since the 1980s. He argues that these experiments have been made also in Germany, France, Switzerland and the United States. >>

And yes - I've quickly skimmed the articles that were linked from the Portuguese press - and with my exceedingly rusty and poor Portuguese understood exactly the same - these people are Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion - they are not pretending to be priests , they are celebrating a service which is permitted when it is not possible to have the presence of a priest.

But wouldn't it be a tad smarter to make use of male EMs?
You know for the sake of not causing confusions and possibly scandals?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,069.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In the case quoted - that would be 6 parishes -and knowing Portugal , probably over a very wide area. Oh and Public Transport is not as good as it is in the UK , mea so it may well be impossible for folk to go to the one church that is open and served.

Would you be happy with a priest visiting perhaps once a month to celebrate Mass and his parishioners [ i.e. you ] being unable to Receive any Sacraments till his next visit ?

As for the problem of using women - it's well known that it's frequently the women who volunteer to help in anything that needs doing in the Church/Parish

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the case quoted - that would be 6 parishes -and knowing Portugal , probably over a very wide area. Oh and Public Transport is not as good as it is in the UK , mea so it may well be impossible for folk to go to the one church that is open and served.

Would you be happy with a priest visiting perhaps once a month to celebrate Mass and his parishioners [ i.e. you ] being unable to Receive any Sacraments till his next visit ?

As for the problem of using women - it's well known that it's frequently the women who volunteer to help in anything that needs doing in the Church/Parish

Yes i would rather that

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel is either the inspired infallible word of God... or it is not

1 tim 2

This is not about gender, equality or feminism this is not about politics

Its about being faithful

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The church has been given its authority by Christ and ordaining a male priesthood is one of the things we've been given the grace to do.
It's not about women it's about Godgiven authority and in the case of female priesthood, a authority we don't possess.

Women are no less than men honestly, they often possess great minds. You mention nuns and theologians and they're good examples of such.

You accuse men of being more immoral than women and I'm just curious on why that is, what's your base of such a statement?

Set apart from the no go on female clergy for theological reasons, do you consider men to be inferior to women?
You seem to hold a grudge against our sex...

Are you less likely to sin than a man u think?

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
And the service is permitted by the Church , mea.

Honestly a lot of things has been granted by Rome since the sixties so that doesn't necessarily makes it pious to attend such a service.

I would rather stayed at home praying the rosary than go to such a service.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,069.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This is now veering off topic

Could we please return to the original topic - the use of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion to hold a service of Holy Communion outwith Mass when a priest is not available.

Anhelyna - Senior Ambassador

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
This is now veering off topic

Could we please return to the original topic - the use of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion to hold a service of Holy Communion outwith Mass when a priest is not available.

Anhelyna - Senior Ambassador

Natural development of threads isn't against the rules of CF me think?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As for EMHC i dont know of any dogmatic decree that allows it... sure rome permits it... but does the faith? when the perenial teaching of faith has always been that not only should the faithful not touch the species but also not be allowed to touch even the sacred recepticals

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Important detail Mea, we're under no obligation to attend these sorts of meetings.

Yeah and i would argue against attending such as concerns regarding incramentalism could lead to faithful accepting women priests 10 or 100 years from now.. i worry about a slow errosion of the tradition of the church

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As for EMHC i dont know of any dogmatic decree that allows it... sure rome permits it... but does the faith? when the perenial teaching of faith has always been that not only should the faithful not touch the species but also not be allowed to touch even the sacred recepticals

Did not St. Tarcisius lose his life in the 3rd century taking the sacrament to those in prison? And he was a lay person. So I would think that this is no recent innovation, although the form of it in this case may look different.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.