Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He was in the military because he dropped out of college just shy of flunking out.
i'd say he made the right decision as college is mostly a scam, especially nowadays.

I did date a grocery store sacker who had dreams and was doing the work to build this life.
how old was this guy?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
i'd say he made the right decision as college is mostly a scam, especially nowadays.

how old was this guy?

We were both in our early 20s when I dated the sacker. He was the most awesome enthusiastic sacker that store ever had. :)

And my husband went back to school after he finished his commitment with the Navy and got his BS. A degree was never needed for any job he did have but it opened doors and it provided him options to move up to management if he ever wanted to.

College isn't a scam. But it isn't a "job training program" pr a guaranteed job either. It is a piece of paper that is evidence that a person can learn and can finish something they started. That is all it ever has been. What you do with it, is up to you. You still have to have a plan for how to use that education. Even something like a nursing degree is worthless without passing the licencing exam and maintaining a lifestyle that allows you to keep that licence. And the licence isn't a guarantee of a job...you still have to do the things that make you a desired employee.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
College isn't a scam.

And my husband went back to school after he finished his commitment with the Navy and got his BS. A degree was never needed for any job he did

It is a piece of paper that is evidence that a person can learn and can finish something they started.

….scam

go and shackle yourself to student loans for the next 20 years to get a fancy piece of paper that guarantees you nothing and in most cases is totally unnecessary. not your husband's situation as the military probably paid most if not all his school expenses.

now if you're trying to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, that's a different story.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
how long had the guy been there when you met him?

Considering that was around 30 years ago, no idea. I didn't date a sacker. I dated a man that I liked who happened to work as a sacker. It wasn't who he was. It was a job to pay the bills and provide a stepping stone to his future.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Considering that was around 30 years ago, no idea. I didn't date a sacker. I dated a man that I liked who happened to work as a sacker. It wasn't who he was. It was a job to pay the bills and provide a stepping stone to his future.
you gotta start somewhere.

did he get married while he was still a bagger?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
….scam

go and shackle yourself to student loans for the next 20 years to get a fancy piece of paper that guarantees you nothing and in most cases is totally unnecessary. not your husband's situation as the military probably paid most if not all his school expenses.

now if you're trying to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, that's a different story.

Why? He got a degree in Wildlife and Fisheries Science. $400 a month did not pay most of his expenses. My job did. It did help though. He never worked in the wildlife profession. He always had a job and others offered to him because he was willing to start at the bottom. The degree simply meant there was no glass ceiling where he couldn't rise above.

Having a degree has opened many doors for me even in jobs that had nothing to do with what I studied. There are ways to get a degree without ending up with huge debt. And I do suggest that a person study something in the field they hope to eventually work in...but having a decent work history at graduation is every bit as important as having a degree when you are applying for jobs.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why? He got a degree in Wildlife and Fisheries Science. $400 a month did not pay most of his expenses. My job did. It did help though. He never worked in the wildlife profession. He always had a job and others offered to him because he was willing to start at the bottom. The degree simply meant there was no glass ceiling where he couldn't rise above.

Having a degree has opened many doors for me even in jobs that had nothing to do with what I studied. There are ways to get a degree without ending up with huge debt. And I do suggest that a person study something in the field they hope to eventually work in...but having a decent work history at graduation is every bit as important as having a degree when you are applying for jobs.

So you think its better to get a degree and get 50k in debt even if that degree ends up being in something that isn't why you got a job? Some degree is better than no degree but not at 50k in debt. Theres numerous articles talking about how people who go to college wouldve been better off just working or getting a trade instead of getting all that debt and they end up basically making as much over their lifetime.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
you gotta start somewhere.

did he get married while he was still a bagger?

Nope...like I said, it was a stepping stone, not a career. He would never had asked anyone to marry him until he was able to support both of them.

I doubt that I'd have dated anyone at that age whose goal was to be a sacker all his life. To do so, I would have had to love them enough to give up the idea of wanting kids.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
So you think its better to get a degree and get 50k in debt even if that degree ends up being in something that isn't why you got a job? Some degree is better than no degree but not at 50k in debt. Theres numerous articles talking about how people who go to college wouldve been better off just working or getting a trade instead of getting all that debt and they end up basically making as much over their lifetime.

No, I believe it is better to get a degree by paying for it as you go...even if that takes longer...but only if it supports your goals. Getting a degree in nursing but being unwilling to wipe a persons butt would mean you wasted your time. If you got a degree in teaching but hate children or talking to other people, would also be a waste.

Getting a job in a trade is also a very valid choice and definitely better than getting a degree only for the sake of getting a degree. There are many trades that make more money than jobs that require degrees....but again, if you hate spiders, don't pick a trade that is going to have you crawling in attics or in crawl spaces. Very few tradesmen make minimum wage, even at the lowest levels of the trade. So this isn't the same as being a sacker with no plans of moving up or changing to a job with a future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

you just told us why. your husband didn't need it. your husband got a degree in a field he never went into and the jobs he got that were able to provide for his family didn't require he had it. he would have gotten them with or without that fancy piece of paper. top that off with the fact that the military didn't pay for his schooling(ouch!) which left you holding the bag for his bill for that fancy piece of paper with money that could have went to something useful like setting up a trust for your kids or starting a business(another thing you don't need a college degree for).

….scam

your husband's story regarding college degrees is all too common, though if you're in the military they usually pay for your education. my dad was in the military and they paid for his.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
you just told us why. your husband didn't need it. your husband got a degree in a field he never went into and the jobs he got that were able to provide for his family didn't require he had it. he would have gotten them with or without that fancy piece of paper. top that off with the fact that the military didn't pay for his schooling(ouch!) which left you holding the bag for his bill for that fancy piece of paper with money that could have went to something useful like setting up a trust for your kids or starting a business(another thing you don't need a college degree for).

….scam

your husband's story regarding college degrees is all too common, though if you're in the military they usually pay for your education. my dad was in the military and they paid for his.

Wrong. I invested in our future. I invested in him. That college degree gave him confidence. He didn't have to prove he had a brain in his head. Every job he got knew he had that degree. They were investing in their futures by knowing he could move up the career ladder without taking time off to get a degree that was a requirement for management. He was able to consider a larger choice of jobs. It was also the fancy piece of paper that said he wasn't ever trapped in a job. He had options.

I am guessing that you don't have a "fancy piece of paper" if you don't realize what it takes to finish a degree program. It isn't the end all of end alls, but it opens doors.

It is really sad that you think that you consider my married years working to be "holding the bag"...instead of seeing it as I did, we were equal partners in our marriage and I supported (and encouraged him) to pursue his dreams in finding a career that he could enjoy.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
exactly..

The question is "would you date a man making minimum wage"...not "would you date a man with no ambition to improve his life from a minimum wage job". At the time, he was a sacker. I dated him as a sacker. He didn't stay a sacker and met his wife and got married when he was working at a much better job that had a future. Is it a sin to not stay at a minimum wage job?

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The question is "would you date a man making minimum wage"...not "would you date a man with no ambition to improve his life from a minimum wage job". At the time, he was a sacker. I dated him as a sacker. He didn't stay a sacker and met his wife and got married when he was working at a much better job that had a future. Is it a sin to not stay at a minimum wage job?
and that's the point,

you gotta start somewhere..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

What military program are you talking about? He didn't want to make a future out of the job he did in the Navy. Maybe he considered it when he signed up, I don't know. So he didn't get trained in the Navy for a career he wanted to pursue. He did get to travel the world and enjoyed his job for the short time he did it. The GI Bill at the time provide $400 dollars a month when you were enrolled full-time in school. That is what everyone got. It helps a person go to school but didn't pay their way. I did know people who joined the military while in school and their school was paid for under the contract that they would be in the military for so many years after graduating (or enlisted for that many years if they didn't finish their degree).

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That college degree gave him confidence. He didn't have to prove he had a brain in his head. Every job he got knew he had that degree.
you don't need a college degree for that either..

ask bill gates

so you're saying the jobs he took told him that you have to have a college degree in wildlife and fisheries science in order to have a management position?

I am guessing that you don't have a "fancy piece of paper"
don't need one either..
It is really sad that you think that you consider my married years working to be "holding the bag".

in order to get an unnecessary degree? sort of..

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
and that's the point,

you gotta start somewhere..

Which is why I honestly said that when I was young, I had no problem dating a minimum wage earner. Not so willing now because a long history of no motivation would not likely change now and I wouldn't find very attractive. He would still have value and maybe even find a wife that would be happy with his lifestyle.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What military program are you talking about? He didn't want to make a future out of the job he did in the Navy. Maybe he considered it when he signed up, I don't know. So he didn't get trained in the Navy for a career he wanted to pursue. He did get to travel the world and enjoyed his job for the short time he did it. The GI Bill at the time provide $400 dollars a month when you were enrolled full-time in school. That is what everyone got. It helps a person go to school but didn't pay their way. I did know people who joined the military while in school and their school was paid for under the contract that they would be in the military for so many years after graduating (or enlisted for that many years if they didn't finish their degree).
that would be the route my dad went..

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
so you're saying the jobs he took told him that you have to have a college degree in wildlife and fisheries science in order to have a management position?

Nope, it required a bachelor's degree ... in didn't matter in what field of study. The lack of a degree meant his father hit the glass ceiling at work. He was qualified in every way and they wanted to promote him, but he needed a degree. My FIL didn't feel like going back to school at that point in his life though.

Upvote 0