Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A woman friend was reading a Christian book that said women have five great relation longings. Here are the five. Do you have any of these longings? What order would you rank them. Or is this completely out to lunch?

(if you are a man, feel free to add your thoughts)

escape reality

to be cherished by a man

to be protected by a strong man

to rescue a man

to be physically alive

(please note, none of this is to be taken as sexual)

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A woman friend was reading a Christian book that said women have five great relation longings. Here are the five. Do you have any of these longings? What order would you rank them. Or is this completely out to lunch?

escape reality

to be cherished by a man

to rescue a man

to be physically alive

2 and 3, 4 not anymore like in missionary dating, 5 sure why not, 1 no that was only when I was very depressed.

Upvote 0

fromtheAsh

That one girl from that one website.
May 31, 2012
South Dakota
✟9,766.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged

escape reality

to be cherished by a man

to rescue a man

to be physically alive

1) To be cherished
2) To be physically alive
3) Escape reality
4) Rescue
5) To be protected.

I never liked the idea of "being protected".

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

escape reality

to be cherished by a man

to rescue a man

to be physically alive

Nope... Not here, at least.

1. To be respected by someone I can and do respect.

2. To be free - specifically, "freedom to err", as in, the freedom to do/say/believe something my partner thinks is wrong without being (emotionally or physically) "punished" for it.

3. To be given and to give affection, in physical and emotional forms.

4. To give and receive intellectual stimulation. Philosophical arguments, researching things together, studying together - that's actually very important to me.

5. Mutual trust.

I don't desire to be protected or provided for. I can take care of myself. I also don't desire a man who "lets me live." I have the right to live, thank you. I desire to be alive, but I don't desire someone who will "keep me alive and not kill me."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

escape reality

to be cherished by a man

to rescue a man

to be physically alive

To be physically alive is definitely number one. It's just instinctual.

Escaping reality is something I used to do fairly often as a coping mechanism, which I do not do nearly as much now since I have more healthy coping mechanisms. I'm not sure if I could say it even ranks on a list for me, but compared to the other choices I guess it would be number two.

I don't feel anything on the other three at all. So I think number three is a tie with all of those.

It's hard to rank things that have little to no meaning with yourself. I definitely don't think these "five longings" define me, aside from wanting to avoid death, which I think is something most people of all genders have.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This seems really weird, what was your friend reading? haha!

'To be physically alive' - like, what?! :confused:

Escape reality? what? :scratch:

Rescue a man...? :|
^_^
Maybe it means that you don't want a man who's gonna kill you.
If you want to escape reality you're in a real bad relationship.

perfect-man-bolin-meme-generator-saved-by-girl-does-not-feel-emasculated-in-any-way-41a479.JPG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
escape reality - maybe a little, sometimes

to be cherished by a man - not really necessary

to be protected by a strong man - not really necessary

to rescue a man - lol

to be physically alive - unless I'm missing something, I need to be physically alive to do much

I think ReecePiece is onto something though...

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
cherished...absolutely

protected by a strong man...this isn't physical strength but strength of character... A real life example for me might have been hearing my husband stand up to his mother in my defense even once... He defended me in other places, but this would have been tremendous.

the rest...nah...not so much...

Upvote 0

fromtheAsh

That one girl from that one website.
May 31, 2012
South Dakota
✟9,766.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Why? Women would have no rights without the military and police. Women are protected by men whether they like it or not.

I meant that because I'm a woman that I'm defenseless and need to be protected by men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athena18

Lover of wisdom and Gods Girl :)
Apr 16, 2015
Peeps big wide world
✟15,538.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

escape reality

to be cherished by a man

to rescue a man

to be physically alive

:D

These seem odd. I also wonder what book she is reading to list these.
Obviously we need to be alive physically.:thumbsup:
I don't feel the need to escape reality. Reality is what it is.
Goodness gracious....to rescue a man? What does that even mean?:confused:
I have this vision of a weak, wimpy man needing to be protected by his woman and I'm sure that would make most men cringe.
I do love the idea of being cherished by a man.
I also like the idea of being protected by a strong man. I think of that as a character thing more than physical strength. I see it as standing behind me and building me up in all I do. His strength giving me the courage to accomplish all that God calls me to do in this life.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Feeling "alive" is different than being alive. It probably is referring to that giddy "in love" feeling that goes with falling in love. I felt it every time my husband reach out and held my hand or we bumped legs ... just a connection.

"escape reality" is probably tied to feeling alive...it is probably that feeling that makes young in love believe that they can "live on love" and things like money don't matter...

rescue a man...means that we need to find a man that needs us...and he recognizes it...I had a guy in high school who quit drinking so he could date me because he found out that I didn't tolerate drunk boys...considering the track he was on, I did kind of rescue him and I think even today (we are friends) he would say that I did....I "rescued" my husband in a very different way (but that is personal)...but I know he felt loved and valued by me in a way he never felt before....

they aren't as strange as they sound...

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
to be cherished by a man
This is probably the strongest for me of the five on the list. I want to cherish someone and be cherished. I think that's a cornerstone of a long-term relationship, and "cherish" should not be confused with "worship."
to rescue a man
As a fantasy, yes. In reality, no. I find myself attracted to fictional male characters who need this type of relationship, but real people, not so much. I'm happy to be the man's friend and help out, but I think it would be problematic to let this be a draw in a relationship. I try not to view people this way, men or women, especially in a romantic context. I think it devalues a person.
Not really. Society is safer than ever (strange but true). I feel pretty safe, and in situations where I don't, I'd rather rely on means such as law enforcement and common sense than have to walk around with a man all the time. The idea of society becoming safer and safer so that there's little reason to depend on someone in this way is much more attractive to me. However, if he and I suddenly find ourselves in a dangerous situation where brute strength is going to determine the winner, and my man is stronger than me, then yes please! ^_^
to be physically alive
I don't struggle with feeling alive at my age, so it's not something I need from a relationship. I can see how this could become a longing in the future.
escape reality
Not at all, since you said that this shouldn't be interpreted in a sexual manner. I like reality.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In no particular order:

Well, here's the thing, if a guy with a knife comes through the door, I don't want my guy to hide behind the cat, so in that respect I cover two of the criteria. Yes, protect me if I need it, and no, neither the cat nor I wish to have to rescue you.

Escape reality: who came up with this stuff? Reality happens, man or no man.

Cherished: Of course, if we're life partners and not cherishing one another, why bother?

Feel alive: Who doesn't want to feel alive? And having a real connection with another human being does enhance that feeling.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Well, here's the thing, if a guy with a knife comes through the door, I don't want my guy to hide behind the cat

The guy with the knife might be a softy for cats though... And if that's the case, then he isn't going to stab a poor defenceless kitty is he?

See, that's not being cowardly. That's being smart.

(Toro, I've set you up son... Here's your cue.)

Upvote 0