Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not say Miriam was a pastor. Don't be confused. God blesses women with gifts, not just men. We have so many ways to be a blessing to God. We do not need to be leading a congregation of both men and women to be a blessing and do God's work. And, being blessed with a gift does not make us a pastorl. Off topic perhaps but why would you assume God makes mistakes?

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OreGal said:
The Bible does not say Miriam was a pastor. Off topic perhaps but why would you assume God makes mistakes?

Ok, in order:
First: The Bible Clearly states that Miriam was Equal to Aaron, as a preacher to the people.
Second: It seems that other people have thsi idea, that the woman that God appointed to be Judges, Rabbis, Prophets, and Preachers, was a mistake, because, well, Woman can't be preachers. So, Altho I do not believe God makes mistakes, it seems other people are passing it off as if he has/does make them.

Maybe it's just man made Doctrin conflicting with God.

and if that is the Case, I know which one I plan to follow.

God Bless
Key.

Upvote 0

Thenolos

Generic
Nov 8, 2005
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
First: The Bible Clearly states that Miriam was Equal to Aaron, as a preacher to the people.

No it doesn't. It clearly states she was a prophetess... No one is arguing against that. The Bible does nothing to lead us to the conclusion that Miriam had the same role as Aaron. This thread isn't about equality, it is about roles.

Second: It seems that other people have thsi idea, that the woman that God appointed to be Judges, Rabbis, Prophets, and Preachers, was a mistake, because, well, Woman can't be preachers.

Who was the female Rabbi?

Upvote 0

bannaboat101

Whom The Sun Sets Free Is Free Indeed
Dec 12, 2005
✟8,467.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I personally believe that woman can be Pastors. If The Lady is doing what God want's her to do and he showed it to her than yes I believe they can be pastor. At my church we have to Woman Pastors and you can tell that they are doing the will of God. plus i believe that every christian no matter of Sex needs to com together to fullfill Gods plan.:)

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Key said:
Ok, in order:
Second: It seems that other people have thsi idea, that the woman that God appointed to be Judges, Rabbis, Prophets, and Preachers, was a mistake, because, well, Woman can't be preachers. So, Altho I do not believe God makes mistakes, it seems other people are passing it off as if he has/does make them.

Maybe it's just man made Doctrin conflicting with God.

and if that is the Case, I know which one I plan to follow.

God Bless
Key.

Okay went back and reread about Miriam. We must be reading two different versions of the Bible because my Bible does not say anything about her being a pastor. You could stretch what you read to show that the women followed her, sure and that is a very valid ministry in the Bible.

I haven't read that anybody here believes God makes mistakes.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem is you're trying to live according to the letter instead of the Spirit.

but there is a problem with this argument. The teaching we have on women's role in the church is found solely in Paul's epistles if I remember correctly (someone please correct me if I am wrong :) ) and Paul was the major teacher in Scripture on living by the Spirit and not the law.

How can both of these teachings come from the same man and not contradict each other?

But...on the other hand i've seen women with an obvious blessing from God in order to preach His word. I know in the culture at the time (and even today) it was customary for women to be considered silent and to always let the husband speak. Women back then were 2nd class citizens.

And again if we look at Paul's epistles we see very clear teaching that women are to be loved and honored (actually we see this throughout the Bible) so that argument doesn't really factor in. There is no justification in Scripture to treat women as second class citizens, and if we start discounting this as a culture thing only that has no merit for the church of today then it really becomes to easy to discount any other teaching in the Bible as culturally irrelavent for today and the church doesn't have to follow it.

Upvote 0

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
OreGal said:
Okay went back and reread about Miriam. We must be reading two different versions of the Bible because my Bible does not say anything about her being a pastor. You could stretch what you read to show that the women followed her, sure and that is a very valid ministry in the Bible.

Hi there,
in no way to I mean to speak for Key, but I would like to say how I understood Key's argument...

It does clearly state that Miriam was a prophetess. What does that mean? Well, someone with prophetic gifts speaks the truth of God to people. What is a preacher's role? From what I understand, it is to speak (preach) the word of God to the people.

In response...
And we certainly cannot suggest that Miriam was only leading the women; there is nothing to imply this. And if it were assumed, we'd have to assume that Aaron was only leading the men. And then where are we? Men churches and Women churches? Aren't we fragmented enough???

I know that this does not answer your pastor question, but I just cannot find any evidence that says God distributes his gifts according to sex. But in Acts 2 Peter speaks of the Spirit being poured out on both men and women... does the spirit pour differently on men and women? What about the "servants"? or are there two spirits - a feminine and a masculine? no, of course not. and I believe we can take that to be true of the passage when Paul lists some spiritual gifts (1 Cor.12:4-11). Never does he differentiate between gender specific gifts - including pastoral gifts.

Obviously I am offering no answers, because I don't believe I have them all. Just my thoughts on the subject so far. Got somewhat carried away...

D'M

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

martin75

How about this...

Can a woman be an interpretor of the word?
If they can't then they must truly be silent and let men explain everything, only questioning when they don't understand not to put forward their own views

Well its obvious a women can be because they have the spiritual capacity, apparantly the same as men, to do it. I see women on Christian TV all the time, and as a man I have received from their interpretations

So women have the ability, and its the reality that they use it
Whether they can be pastors or not is academic, it just formalises the role of being an interpretor of the word

The Catholic church may not have female priests but they do have nuns who I've seen hosting phone in programs where they take calls from men. The Catholics do it, the protestants do it, if women can interpret the word then what can stop them fulfilling this role?

On the other hand if women shouldn't interpret the word then why do they have the ability, and why does it seem to be equal to a man's ability?
Isn't using scripture to oppose women denying this reality?

Martin

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.