Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So...last night I read about Women being silent in the church and not talking...which obviously means they can't become pastors. (I think)

But...on the other hand i've seen women with an obvious blessing from God in order to preach His word. I know in the culture at the time (and even today) it was customary for women to be considered silent and to always let the husband speak. Women back then were 2nd class citizens. And yet...today..I see women who have been blessed with ministries that they run through God.

So..which is it? I mean..how can women be blessed with great ministries..and yet in the bible it says they can't even talk in chuch?

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Qualifications of a pastor:

Titus 1:6 If a man is blameless, the husband of one wife,..... NKJV

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop must then be blameless, the husband of one wife,...NKJV

Depending on the version used, it may be gender neutral, meaning "anyone". Those are the dangers of the dynamic versions, but that's another thread. I think this is pretty much self explanatory. I believe very much there are very godly women out there who can teach and do teach men. There's no need for interpretation here.

Upvote 0

xxclixxx

Oct 25, 2005
Visit site
✟15,215.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Personally I agree that women shouldn't be preaching. However, I also know that God can still use women in very powerful ways. Too many times to people go way to one side or the other, really Men need to be in leadership, but women need to be involved in the Church too.

People also need to stop with the "Women's rights" stuff. God designed men and women to have different qualities that are better than the others. So why not utilize these qualities instead of trying to push for other ones? I'd rather use the qualities God has given me than my humanly self, and let my wife do the things God has given her the abilities to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hi there,
I just wanted to say that we should be careful with this one. I'm pretty sure that the context of this is emphasizing that the bishop or church leader should be respectful of his wife, keeping one and not participating in the wife swapping that was popular in those days. It's emphasizing the Man's integrity to his marraige oaths, and the humanity of the Woman (as she is not to be treated as property, but as a human being), as opposed to emphasizing the masculinity of the bishop. We have to be careful with context.

Because Paul also lists several women as ministers, with specifications to suggest that they were only in certain appropriate roles. We cannot simply jump to the conclusion that Men are only gifted as preachers or teachers, when there seems to be biblical evidence of Women gifted in these same ways as well.

I know that there is a lot more to this discussion, I just thought I'd speak to that one point.

Maybe just to end I'd like to point out that it is not our maleness or our femaleness that gives us the authority to preach the gospel - only through the power of Jesus Christ do we have the priviledge.

God Bless,
D'M

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the Bible made it clear that women are not to be head of a church as stated in 1 CORINTHIANS 14:35 and 1 Tim 2:12-15.I believe women can preach the Gospel to other women and to children.Women do have important roles but being the head of a church is not one of them.Sites like http://www.charismamag.com/a.php?ArticleID=756 are very deceiving because God made the bible through his apostles as stated in 2 TIMOTHY 3:16 and 2 PETER 1:20.So if God spoke through his apostles and the Author of the Bible is actually God What does that tell you.It tells you that God tells women not to be head of church.The apostles are not saying this but God,So when you obey the Bible teaching your following Gods teachings.God Bless :)

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dancin' moosen said:

Hi there,
I just wanted to say that we should be careful with this one. I'm pretty sure that the context of this is emphasizing that the bishop or church leader should be respectful of his wife, keeping one and not participating in the wife swapping that was popular in those days. It's emphasizing the Man's integrity to his marraige oaths, and the humanity of the Woman (as she is not to be treated as property, but as a human being), as opposed to emphasizing the masculinity of the bishop. We have to be careful with context.

Because Paul also lists several women as ministers, with specifications to suggest that they were only in certain appropriate roles. We cannot simply jump to the conclusion that Men are only gifted as preachers or teachers, when there seems to be biblical evidence of Women gifted in these same ways as well.

I know that there is a lot more to this discussion, I just thought I'd speak to that one point.

Maybe just to end I'd like to point out that it is not our maleness or our femaleness that gives us the authority to preach the gospel - only through the power of Jesus Christ do we have the priviledge.

God Bless,
D'M

Well.......

I must say your off just a bit on that, there are passages in Eph. 5 that talk about loving wives, this is specific towards a pastor being a man of one wife, not a wife of one husband. Turning that around is rearranging God's Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ghs1994 said:
Well.......

I must say your off just a bit on that, there are passages in Eph. 5 that talk about loving wives, this is specific towards a pastor being a man of one wife, not a wife of one husband. Turning that around is rearranging God's Word.

Hi there,
If you notice, I didn't actually turn the passage around to speak to women at all. I was simply responding to someone elses use of the Timothy passages I had quoted, and my point was not that it was speaking both to men and women, all I was trying to say is that the use of that passage as a response to women pastors is misleading because the emphasis is "a man OF ONE WIFE", not "a MAN of one wife".

Sorry if that was unclear.
Blessings,
D'M

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dancin' moosen said:
Hi there,
If you notice, I didn't actually turn the passage around to speak to women at all. I was simply responding to someone elses use of the Timothy passages I had quoted, and my point was not that it was speaking both to men and women, all I was trying to say is that the use of that passage as a response to women pastors is misleading because the emphasis is "a man OF ONE WIFE", not "a MAN of one wife".

Sorry if that was unclear.
Blessings,
D'M

I hope I didn't sound mean or anything. I just try and discuss things and hope God will work on their hearts as well as mine. God bless ya.

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
SteelDisciple said:
So...last night I read about Women being silent in the church and not talking...which obviously means they can't become pastors. (I think)

But...on the other hand i've seen women with an obvious blessing from God in order to preach His word. I know in the culture at the time (and even today) it was customary for women to be considered silent and to always let the husband speak. Women back then were 2nd class citizens. And yet...today..I see women who have been blessed with ministries that they run through God.

So..which is it? I mean..how can women be blessed with great ministries..and yet in the bible it says they can't even talk in chuch?

The verse about women being silent in the church has nothing to do with what people have claimed. There's nothing wrong with a woman being a pastor.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
justinstout - I always want to sing "well, shake it up baby now, justinstout" when I see your name, hehe!

anyway, I agree with you.

I have never read anything that shows me that the Lord differentiates between men and women when He gives out spiritual gifts.....

Why would God -- after using women as prophets and judges under the old covenant -- change his mind and decide not to use them anymore as such after Jesus died to set us free? Doesn't make sense to me. But the charisma article does.

blessings in Christ
tal

Upvote 0
M

martin75

Why do the gospels get forgotten in this debate?
They show women doing far greater things than being pastors

After the lord was sealed in the tomb, it was Mary alone who first saw him
He chose to give her the message to tell the other male disciples that he was alive

So if a woman can be the first to teach that the lord lives, a woman who actually knew the lord, then I don't see why women can't bring this message to others

There are many times Jesus went against the conventions of his time to include women when he could easily have excluded them had he wanted to

For a start he wouldn't allow Mary to do the housework, preferring to teach her instead. Paul was an apostle but Jesus is lord

Martin

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.