Woman Pastors and Communion

Would you take communion administered by a woman pastor?

• Yes

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Haven’t thought about it or don’t know

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If I fear a ritual it is communion. The Apostle Paul attributed evil results to its being administered improperly....

For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. - 1 Corinthians 11:29-30

My favorite place for communion is the Lutheran church. The pastor there is an old kind hearted guy, and the bread and wine seem served in appropriate proportions and also have a good taste. There is also a sense of the appropriate discernment of the ritual.

But.... The church is getting a woman pastor. Which leaves me wondering if I should partake of communion there. I have never been served communion by a woman pastor. I am not saying it is wrong, but it is something I have never pondered on. So, what do you think? Are you alright with woman pastors serving communion?

While I am talking woman pastors.... The last pastor candidate did not take the position because of pay issues. A married man pastor has the issue of a wife, who likes the idea of the American dream with the nice house and all. A woman married to a pastor better enjoy the idea of work if she wants to have anything as many churches are struggling.

But this lady pastor candidate seems married to a good career man. She may be able to take the position not worried about the pay as her husband has a good job. And it all may work out for the good of the church.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I would take it, and yes, I have done so.

Paul is speaking there about taking it unworthily, not it being improperly consecrated. She sounds like a good fit for the church, if she is a Godly person and preaches the Gospel I would not have any qualms about it. But plenty of people are going to chime in about how women should not be over women and such, I personally believe they are wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2019
Midwest
✟32,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You seem fun.
You could address the historical, traditional, and biblical aspect of this rather than sarcastically addressing me directly with nonsense.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes
The Apostle Paul attributed evil results to its being administered improperly....

For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. - 1 Corinthians 11:29-30
Bad exegesis. It was not the administration of the host that Paul had a problem with; it was the attitude in the hearts of the recipients. Note the phrase “..not discerning the Lord’s body.” In context, the body is explained in the next chapter:

1 Corinthians 12:27
Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I fear a ritual it is communion. The Apostle Paul attributed evil results to its being administered improperly....

My favorite place for communion is the Lutheran church. The pastor there is an old kind hearted guy, and the bread and wine seem served in appropriate proportions and also have a good taste. There is also a sense of the appropriate discernment of the ritual.

But.... The church is getting a woman pastor. Which leaves me wondering if I should partake of communion there. I have never been served communion by a woman pastor. I am not saying it is wrong, but it is something I have never pondered on. So, what do you think? Are you alright with woman pastors serving communion?

While I am talking woman pastors.... The last pastor candidate did not take the position because of pay issues. A married man pastor has the issue of a wife, who likes the idea of the American dream with the nice house and all. A woman married to a pastor better enjoy the idea of work if she wants to have anything as many churches are struggling.

But this lady pastor candidate seems married to a good career man. She may be able to take the position not worried about the pay as her husband has a good job. And it all may work out for the good of the church.
It isn't the "giver" of the bread and wine that needs to worry, but the "receivers" who musn't partake with an unclean conscience.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you are able, don't be afraid to take the sacrament on account of the one administering it. Ex opera operato-"from the work worked." In other words, the efficaciousness (effectiveness) of the sacrament does not come from the one who administers it, but from the finished work of Jesus Christ. A similar issue came up during the Donatist controversy. People were afraid to take the sacrament from lapsed priests (i.e. priests who handed over the scriptures during persecution as evidence they rejected the Christian faith). Augustine argued they should feel free to take the sacrament from said priests because the sacrament's effectiveness was not based in the priest who administered it, but Jesus Christ who died for them. So, if you are able, don't be afraid. Take it in good faith.

Ex opere operato - Wikipedia
Donatism - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 19, 2019
Midwest
✟32,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that history is more relevant than Scripture as to who can be a pastor?
The Bible doesn't support a female priesthood, and so neither is it seen in history before Christ (Judaism) or after Christ (the Church) until relatively recently as things have changed drastically in modern times.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible doesn't support a female priesthood, and so neither is it seen in history before Christ (Judaism) or after Christ (the Church) until relatively recently as things have changed drastically in modern times.

Thanks for the clarification.

How do you reconcile the female apostle (Junia), seminary teacher (Priscilla) and deacon (Phoebe) in Acts with this position? As well as the other females in Acts that were participating in evangelistic ministry?

Also, do you agree that the two verses used most commonly as prohibitions for females (1 Tim 2:12, 1 Cor 14:34-35) are taken out of context by proponents of such?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You could address the historical, traditional, and biblical aspect of this rather than sarcastically addressing me directly with nonsense.
Oh I could, I very much could, but what would the value be in that? Are you looking to reconsider your views or just criticize the views of others?

Plus nonsense is in the eye of the beholder. For example, I think most of what you've stated is nonsense, yet I think you are a very sincere person.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

There is no such thing as a "woman pastor," so if she were to conduct the service it would be wrong. I would go even further and say I would walk out of the service if I found out that the person they call a minister was a woman. It is obviously a symptom of a much bigger theological problem in that church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

John, I have found that on this board that most Christians on here hold to unorthodox views about the most basic doctrinal truths. I've met quite a number of theistic-evolutionist, to give an example. I am afraid that Western Christendom will continue to decay, although I am sure in the Eastern Orthodox you don't see this much change happening as you see on the outside. I've been seeing within the Reformed community a wave a new people who want to revert back to conservative views, so there is still hope.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been seeing within the Reformed community a wave a new people who want to revert back to conservative views, so there is still hope.

Wouldn't Biblical views be the goal, rather than "conservative" ones?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John, I have found that on this board that most Christians on here hold to unorthodox views about the most basic doctrinal truths. I've met quite a number of theistic-evolutionist, to give an example. I am afraid that Western Christendom will continue to decay, although I am sure in the Eastern Orthodox you don't see this much change happening as you see on the outside. I've been seeing within the Reformed community a wave a new people who want to revert back to conservative views, so there is still hope.
Good thing we've got you to set us all straight then.

• Prayers
Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0