SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A Black Man Wore Socks in the Pool. After Calling the Police on Him, a Manager Got Fired.
A white manager of a Memphis apartment complex was fired after she called the police on a black man wearing socks in the pool on the Fourth of July.

The man, Kevin Yates, and his girlfriend, Camry Porter, said they had taken Ms. Porter’s two young godsons swimming at the pool at Riverset Apartments, where Ms. Porter lives. They said they were the only black people at the pool.
In an interview on Sunday, she said she felt racially targeted by the manager, whom she identified as Erica Walker. She said white people were wearing clothing other than swimsuits, such as hats or shirts, in the pool.

"It's not the issue with socks," Ms. Porter said. "If socks were not to be worn, that was very well fine. The issue was we were the only one addressed."
"We all have bills," Ms. Porter said. "I'm not going to cheer and throw a party that Ms. Erica was fired." But, she added, "there should have been some consequences."

I feel the same way, I'm sorry you lost your job, but you did a bad job. Please stop calling 911 like it's customer service.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What did she expect the police to do about it?

Would she tell someone they couldn't wear pool shoes? What would be the different between pool shoes and socks?

If this one wasn't racial I'd be very surprised.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
Please stop calling 911 like it's customer service.

I think there's some money to be made here. Given the propensity of people to call police about pool issues (no ID, wearing clothes, you don't belong, etc..), maybe someone should start a reality show about pool-patrolling cops.

It could be like Bondi Rescue, but with guns and better cars.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,913.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think there's some money to be made here. Given the propensity of people to call police about pool issues (no ID, wearing clothes, you don't belong, etc..), maybe someone should start a reality show about pool-patrolling cops.

CSI poolside coming to tv, starring Hasselhoff.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

The only police that should be called on a man wearing sock and sandals/flip-flops is the fashion police.
VKb2SsL.jpg

View attachment 233198

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
A Black Man Wore Socks in the Pool. After Calling the Police on Him, a Manager Got Fired.

I feel the same way, I'm sorry you lost your job, but you did a bad job. Please stop calling 911 like it's customer service.

Communities, churches and organizations are telling people to do this.

Although this is ridiculous, the way to know the public is being had is by remembering this was going on well before there were cameras. The gullible people are being influenced to do these things in order to conflagrate race relations in America.

Expect more of these until another avenue to siphon hate and the unaddressed racist history of America comes about. Just a few years ago the extreme was killing unarmed black humans on camera; that didn't do anything, because no one actually cared enough to get that to reach a critical mass. Now, the other extreme is being exploited: extremely petty examples of racism.

This should be boring, and expected at this point.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think her losing her job over this is about as over the top as calling the police over someone wearing socks in a pool.

Part of me wants to agree...but getting harassed by police is no fun, and if people start calling the cops on other people willy-nilly (especially when there's a racial element involved), there needs to be a public/social precedent set that "there are consequences for making frivolous calls to the police"

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Part of me wants to agree...but getting harassed by police is no fun, and if people start calling the cops on other people willy-nilly (especially when there's a racial element involved), there needs to be a public/social precedent set that "there are consequences for making frivolous calls to the police"

I feel any call to police made using 9-1-1 that is not an emergency or serious issue should result in said citizen paying for the cost of that 9-1-1 call.

THe overhead for the dispatcher, routing system, etc for the call (15 minutes) would probably come out to around $250-ish dollars.
The total time of the police officer(s) in question from call to arrival to dealing with the entire incident (35 minutes) including overhead would probably be around $250-ish dollars.

Then add to that a "frivolous charge fee" multiplier of x2

and the fine/cost of making a 9-1-1 call for a non emergency should be around $750 to $1500.

Now, if you call using the "Non Emergency" number and explain the nature of the call and then they decide to send police then there should be no charge.

I've had a few problems and have called the "non emergency" number of the police and I've had fairly good response, no more than a couple of minutes on hold and often times they do pick right up.

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Communities, churches and organizations are telling people to do this.

Although this is ridiculous, the way to know the public is being had is by remembering this was going on well before there were cameras. The gullible people are being influenced to do these things in order to conflagrate race relations in America.

Expect more of these until another avenue to siphon hate and the unaddressed racist history of America comes about. Just a few years ago the extreme was killing unarmed black humans on camera; that didn't do anything, because no one actually cared enough to get that to reach a critical mass. Now, the other extreme is being exploited: extremely petty examples of racism.

This should be boring, and expected at this point.

SummerMadness has a serious point. Calling the police is not a trivial matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Okay now, it's not really funny but it's so ridiculous I actually laughed out loud several times. I really did. It's summer now I'm a chill and relaxed (thank God for summer, I'm so grateful for a season of rest), but man, when it's the school year I WISH I had time and space in my life to worry about whether someone is wearing SOCKS IN A POOL

Now I'm laughing again....seriously, lady? You got time for this? And to call the cops. For socks. That is insane.

This is one case where she deserved to lose her job because she called the cops for socks while she was apparently doing her job.

Man if I was that uptight in my job I'd be calling the cops for kids picking their nose. Poor dude in the socks. Poor cops!

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
SummerMadness has a serious point. Calling the police is not a trivial matter.

It is a trivial matter if there are no consequences for you. It is tantamount to a prank call. No one is going to hold those calling accountable for wasting resources, because it is justified in the court of public opinion.

The fact there is separate enforcement for separate people is precisely why people are calling the cops on normal pedestrians doing normal pedestrian activities. The ignorance of that will perpetuate this; no amount of exposure or marching will do anything because they have no shame.

• Agree
Reactions: ubicaritas
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I feel any call to police made using 9-1-1 that is not an emergency or serious issue should result in said citizen paying for the cost of that 9-1-1 call.

THe overhead for the dispatcher, routing system, etc for the call (15 minutes) would probably come out to around $250-ish dollars.
The total time of the police officer(s) in question from call to arrival to dealing with the entire incident (35 minutes) including overhead would probably be around $250-ish dollars.

Then add to that a "frivolous charge fee" multiplier of x2

and the fine/cost of making a 9-1-1 call for a non emergency should be around $750 to $1500.

Now, if you call using the "Non Emergency" number and explain the nature of the call and then they decide to send police then there should be no charge.

I've had a few problems and have called the "non emergency" number of the police and I've had fairly good response, no more than a couple of minutes on hold and often times they do pick right up.

Very few people with the power to change it care, and the people themselves heave no shame.

These calls are community organized; these creatures are getting their orders from up top (pastor, leader, congressperson, officers, parents, etc.) - who are getting their orders from up top (Congresspersons, alphabet soup, etc.) The purpose is psychological; in 20 years it won't sound like conspiracy just like 9/11.

Until people on both sides realize this, these things won't stop. We are being exploited, and doing the work of our exploiters with glee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, I agree she shouldn't have called the police over something so stupid.

But really?... Lose your job over that? I agree there should be consequences for wasting the police's time but I think ruining someone's livelihood is just a bit much.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I agree she shouldn't have called the police over something so stupid.

But really?... Lose your job over that? I agree there should be consequences for wasting the police's time but I think ruining someone's livelihood is just a bit much.
I'm not remotely a fan of the latest craze to harass people's employers into firing them over things they do outside their jobs. Seems like vengeance, and nothing more. But in this case what the person did was in the capacity of their employment, so that's a little different story. Did this incident warrant termination? I have no idea.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Another one... and another one....

Renter believes he was racially profiled after being confronted at apartment pool, asked to leave
A renter who says he was confronted and asked to leave the pool at the apartment complex he lives in believes he was the victim of racial profiling.

Shayne Holland says he lives at the River Crossing Apartments and was sitting at the pool last Friday when a woman confronted him, demanded to know where he lived and asked him to leave.
Holland said he showed the woman his key fob, which he used to get into the pool and the woman grabbed it out of his hand.

After a while, Holland said his property manager came out, recognized him, and still asked him to leave.

Upvote 0