Witnessing tips: Overcoming fears!

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's good to remember that the Holy Spirit gives us strength to witness, and to remember to keep asking for the Spirit while we're out there. I also liked the advice about praying for wisdom.

I agree with Harlan that pride can be a big impediment too. But the more we learn to 'smash' our pride - if we humble ourselves, God will lift us up - the freer we will be.

Having something material (tract, booklet, DVD, or whatever) to hand to the person you are speaking to can be a big help too. It can help to overcome some of the initial awkwardness people feel when walking up to a stranger. It also gives the other person something to reference when they're done talking with you.

I believe in private prayer, as per what Jesus taught. (Matthew 6:6) So going up to people to ask to pray with them is not consistent with what Jesus wants, I believe.

That said, you could consider asking the other person if there is anything you can do to help them, in any way. That is more consistent with what Jesus taught... freely we have received, freely give. Give expecting nothing in return. So on and so forth.

We also need to be weary of self-righteousness and hypocrisy as we go to witness to others. There is so much of that in the world today, and I think it turns a lot of people off from spirituality altogether. So it's important that we take extra care to relate to the other person, and not speak down at them. And the more sincere we can be with our interaction - remember Jesus' warning to be weary of hypocrisy (Luke 12:1) - the better the overall witness will be.

Emily expressed concerns about not wanting to lead people in the wrong direction with regard to things she's not sure of (baptism, the Sabbath). My advice with that is just to be honest. If we don't know something, we shouldn't pretend that we do. At the same time, if there are aspects of the Christian walk which we are sure of, and which we are practicing ourselves, we can be bold and confident in passing those on to others. So keep an eye out for as many of the teachings of Jesus you agree with and practice yourself, and then don't be shy about sharing them with people you meet.

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
----This article has been edited---
I've gained a little more wisdom to help people out with conquering their fears. Note the article below is not nessesarily an absolute solution to conquering fear. I've tried to keep it biblically solid but i'm bound to make mistakes. USE YOUR WISDOM, if i post anything contradictory to the bible don't be stupid and believe it! PM me and i'll check it up and make the changes where appropriate.

These are just my personal tips for those who fear people when witnessing. I found it helps ALOT when getting out there and laboring for lost souls. Again i emphasis that i'm no teacher, no preacher, no deacon, no *insert big church name thingy here* just a normal guy, kinda good looking :p, partly intelligent (bad thing?) and onward trying to complete my degree.

Before i do write this in case people get paranoid thinking i'm a hypocrite, i've examined myself deeply before writing this. I witness to at least 1 person a day mostly 1 on 1 (my personal commitment to God), i don't expect people to do the same, this is just my personal commitment.

I have been doing this for nearly 6 months and i've learnt alot. God has graciously granted me wisdom and guidance over the past 6 months and i'm overly thankful for His patience with me and my mistakes and failures.

So!

We first divide the 3 most common fears for a christian when witnessing and how to deal with them.

Ready? - Too late, we're starting!

FEAR 1 :eek:
Religion is a sensitive issue.

This is mostly common with people with low self esteem *puts hand up*. They will go red when trying to talk about God and religion to people who are unbelievers or just close friends or relatives. They can't even mention the name of Jesus without getting uncomfortable. Most of the time, they will feel very nervous with christians who try to ask them where they're at in their spiritual walk with God.

Common fear or not, i suffered it and it really sucks. Truely, it's the most
annoying fear you'll get.

However this is actually on a scale of 1 to 10 of the "I'm too scared" level would be close to about 4.

Most people think it's 10 in fact, almost everyone thinks it's 10 but it's a totally totally overrated fear. Totally, from my experience, i kicked myself for being so scared about it.... ouch.

FEAR 2 :mad:
Persecution, tribulation, people hating you, people thinking you're a dork, people intimidating you.

This fear on the scale of 1 to 10 is 10. The most toughest fear to tackle and certainly the most challenging.

When you witness, you hate it when people scoff off at you or call you a moron or insult you, reject you, hate you, tease you etc. I mean, comon, who doesn't? The last thing you want is to feel rejected. Why? Because we're humans, we love to be accepted. We love to be loved. Simple.

However you're out there on a battlezone, you're not going to get sunshine and lollypops. You're going to get slander, hateful words, insults, and persecution. In the extreme cases, you'll probably meet up with physical beatings, something you want to avoid hehe. I haven't been beaten up yet but i have been insulted before, many times.

Hardest fear to deal with, something i'll cover afterwards.

FEAR 3 :doh:
Not knowing what to do.

7 on the scale. This fear varys from christian to christian. Some christians know what to do exactly but others got no clue whatsoever.

So, personally, i don't believe there's like 1 single way to witness to people AS LONG as it is not leaning to the prosperity gospel (Jesus will give you Joy peace and happiness, He's got a wonderful plan for your life, Jesus will fill that God shaped hole in your heart)

This is another annoying fear that i think it's overrated. Like always, peopel will find it different but it comes down to you. For me, this was 10 on my scale, i had no idea what to do.

------------------------------------------

So these 3 fears are probably the main fears. I'm sure there's others but i'm only going to cover what i've experienced and the ways around it.

TIPS and how to combat these fears!

FEAR 1

This fear is easily overcomed. How? Well, start fellowshipping with christians. Get to church and talk around and start talking about God, what God has done for you on the cross. This fear like i said is overrated, it's easy to overcome this fear.

People who are uncomfortable with this probably have never gotten into a church or are just not getting into God's word. So start getting into God's word and start fellowshiping with christians. The best way to sharpen a sword is to use a surface harder than the sword itself.

Ching! easy.

FEAR 2 (Edited)
Persecution, tribulation, people hating you, people thinking you're a dork, people intimidating you.

This is the toughest fear you'll face. I don't think i've met any christian who has not faced this fear. I'm sure there are some but i haven't met them yet.

One thing all of us hate was being bullied at school. this is a form of persecution.

Same when witnessing to people, you don't want them to lash out at you or hate you or get offended (btw some people WILL get offended regardless how gentle you are) so what can you do? You don't know who will get offended will you?

In the US the marines endure weeks of physical toture but also verbal torture. The trainers will insult, revile and curse their soldiers in training to 'harden' them up and build up morale so that they will not be shaken in combat.

With witnessing, you gotta find some way to harden yourself up. How? Well, instead of getting someone to curse and insult you, just get out there and learn to take insults in a Christ like fashion from those who get offended. Jesus was insulted but he did not insult those back. Do the same, if people insult you, don't offer any insults back. Just take it in, and shake it off.

Unfortunately there's no guaranteed safe way to conquer this fear. The only way i've been able to conquer this fear is to force myself to witness and take insults patiently. Eventually you will easily shake off insults or slander, there's no big deal. This is more to do with experience than to personal fear. I've witnessed nearly everyday for nearly a year now and i'm not as afraid of being rejected anymore.

Remember there are multitudes of christians who were martyred for their faith and they go through insults and all kinds of persecution way worse than your average bully in school.

And important note to keep in mind. Remember you are to witness out of love. it's a common mistake for enthusiastic christians to go out and witness and purposefully start trouble to get persecuted for their faith. One particularly damaging thing about this is that you will appear as an extremist, which to the world out there has about a ton and a half of negative conotations.

They are motivated because Jesus said 'if you're persecuted because of your faith you'll have great reward in heaven'. Folks, also remember are you doing it just for the reward or are you doing it for the salvation of the lost? Persecution WILL come, guaranteed, if you go out and find it, you risk getting more than you bargain for. Instead, ask God to protect you and that if persecution comes, that you will have the strength to take it patiently.

I have made this mistake and fortunately i got out of it quickly with nothing but a spiritual scratch.

FEAR 3
Not knowing what to do.

The articles below talk about an important method of witnessing.

Always convince them of sin first. Use the Law to do that. NEVER give the gospel immediately unless they are broken or humble. Because what you do is you gospel harden them. You give arrogant, proud and self righteous people the gospel that was never intended for them. You must plow up the stoney ground hearer by getting them to be concerned for their salvation and about hell too. THEN you give them the gospel because they know what they're being saved from. It sounds like hellfire preaching but it isn't as the articles below explain.

HugeDomains.com - TtwMinistries.com is for sale (Ttw Ministries)

I encourage you to read the articles. These are awesome methods of witnessing to people and knowing all that you need to know.

It's very easy to understand and you don't have to be a bible theorist to witness to people. In those articles contain some very cool information about how to witness to people like Jesus did, talk about hell judgement day, God's wrath and repentance in an orderly way. No strings attached it even has some written conversations that you can follow.

Also www.wayofthemaster.com

Handy place to learn how to witness. Watch some of the episodes!

---------

Well those are just some tips to breaking through some fears that christians have. Remember, that there are countless lost souls out there that we need to lead to Christ, let's get out there and do something. I am and i'll continue to make sure i am. How about you?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've gained a little more wisdom to help people out with conquering their fears. Note the article below is not nessesarily an absolute solution to conquering fear. I've tried to keep it biblically solid but i'm bound to make mistakes. USE YOUR WISDOM, if i post anything contradictory to the bible don't be stupid and believe it! PM me and i'll check it up and make the changes where appropriate.

These are just my personal tips for those who fear people when witnessing. I found it helps ALOT when getting out there and laboring for lost souls. Again i emphasis that i'm no teacher, no preacher, no deacon, no *insert big church name thingy here* just a normal guy, kinda good looking :p, partly intelligent (bad thing?) and onward trying to complete my degree.

Before i do write this in case people get paranoid thinking i'm a hypocrite, i've examined myself deeply before writing this. I witness to at least 1 person a day mostly 1 on 1 (my personal commitment to God), i don't expect people to do the same, this is just my personal commitment.

I have been doing this for nearly 6 months and i've learnt alot. God has graciously granted me wisdom and guidance over the past 6 months and i'm overly thankful for His patience with me and my mistakes and failures.

So!

We first divide the 3 most common fears for a christian when witnessing and how to deal with them.

Ready? - Too late, we're starting!

FEAR 1 :eek:

This is mostly common with people with low self esteem *puts hand up*. They will go red when trying to talk about God and religion to people who are unbelievers or just close friends or relatives. They can't even mention the name of Jesus without getting uncomfortable. Most of the time, they will feel very nervous with christians who try to ask them where they're at in their spiritual walk with God.

Common fear or not, i suffered it and it really sucks. Truely, it's the most
annoying fear you'll get.

However this is actually on a scale of 1 to 10 of the "I'm too scared" level would be close to about 4.

Most people think it's 10 in fact, almost everyone thinks it's 10 but it's a totally totally overrated fear. Totally, from my experience, i kicked myself for being so scared about it.... ouch.

FEAR 2 :mad:

This fear on the scale of 1 to 10 is 10. The most toughest fear to tackle and certainly the most challenging.

When you witness, you hate it when people scoff off at you or call you a moron or insult you, reject you, hate you, tease you etc. I mean, comon, who doesn't? The last thing you want is to feel rejected. Why? Because we're humans, we love to be accepted. We love to be loved. Simple.

However you're out there on a battlezone, you're not going to get sunshine and lollypops. You're going to get slander, hateful words, insults, and persecution. In the extreme cases, you'll probably meet up with physical beatings, something you want to avoid hehe. I haven't been beaten up yet but i have been insulted before, many times.

Hardest fear to deal with, something i'll cover afterwards.

FEAR 3 :doh:
Not knowing what to do.

7 on the scale. This fear varys from christian to christian. Some christians know what to do exactly but others got no clue whatsoever.

So, personally, i don't believe there's like 1 single way to witness to people AS LONG as it is not leaning to the prosperity gospel (Jesus will give you Joy peace and happiness, He's got a wonderful plan for your life, Jesus will fill that God shaped hole in your heart)

This is another annoying fear that i think it's overrated. Like always, peopel will find it different but it comes down to you. For me, this was 10 on my scale, i had no idea what to do.

------------------------------------------

So these 3 fears are probably the main fears. I'm sure there's others but i'm only going to cover what i've experienced and the ways around it.

TIPS and how to combat these fears!

FEAR 1

This fear is easily overcomed. How? Well, start fellowshipping with christians. Get to church and talk around and start talking about God, what God has done for you on the cross. This fear like i said is overrated, it's easy to overcome this fear.

People who are uncomfortable with this probably have never gotten into a church or are just not getting into God's word. So start getting into God's word and start fellowshiping with christians. The best way to sharpen a sword is to use a surface harder than the sword itself.

Ching! easy.

FEAR 2 (Edited)

This is the toughest fear you'll face. I don't think i've met any christian who has not faced this fear. I'm sure there are some but i haven't met them yet.

One thing all of us hate was being bullied at school. this is a form of persecution.

Same when witnessing to people, you don't want them to lash out at you or hate you or get offended (btw some people WILL get offended regardless how gentle you are) so what can you do? You don't know who will get offended will you?

In the US the marines endure weeks of physical toture but also verbal torture. The trainers will insult, revile and curse their soldiers in training to 'harden' them up and build up morale so that they will not be shaken in combat.

With witnessing, you gotta find some way to harden yourself up. How? Well, instead of getting someone to curse and insult you, just get out there and learn to take insults in a Christ like fashion from those who get offended. Jesus was insulted but he did not insult those back. Do the same, if people insult you, don't offer any insults back. Just take it in, and shake it off.

Unfortunately there's no guaranteed safe way to conquer this fear. The only way i've been able to conquer this fear is to force myself to witness and take insults patiently. Eventually you will easily shake off insults or slander, there's no big deal. This is more to do with experience than to personal fear. I've witnessed nearly everyday for nearly a year now and i'm not as afraid of being rejected anymore.

Remember there are multitudes of christians who were martyred for their faith and they go through insults and all kinds of persecution way worse than your average bully in school.

And important note to keep in mind. Remember you are to witness out of love. it's a common mistake for enthusiastic christians to go out and witness and purposefully start trouble to get persecuted for their faith. One particularly damaging thing about this is that you will appear as an extremist, which to the world out there has about a ton and a half of negative conotations.

They are motivated because Jesus said 'if you're persecuted because of your faith you'll have great reward in heaven'. Folks, also remember are you doing it just for the reward or are you doing it for the salvation of the lost? Persecution WILL come, guaranteed, if you go out and find it, you risk getting more than you bargain for. Instead, ask God to protect you and that if persecution comes, that you will have the strength to take it patiently.

I have made this mistake and fortunately i got out of it quickly with nothing but a spiritual scratch.

FEAR 3
Not knowing what to do.

The articles below talk about an important method of witnessing.

Always convince them of sin first. Use the Law to do that. NEVER give the gospel immediately unless they are broken or humble. Because what you do is you gospel harden them. You give arrogant, proud and self righteous people the gospel that was never intended for them. You must plow up the stoney ground hearer by getting them to be concerned for their salvation and about hell too. THEN you give them the gospel because they know what they're being saved from. It sounds like hellfire preaching but it isn't as the articles below explain.

HugeDomains.com - TtwMinistries.com is for sale (Ttw Ministries)

I encourage you to read the articles. These are awesome methods of witnessing to people and knowing all that you need to know.

It's very easy to understand and you don't have to be a bible theorist to witness to people. In those articles contain some very cool information about how to witness to people like Jesus did, talk about hell judgement day, God's wrath and repentance in an orderly way. No strings attached it even has some written conversations that you can follow.

Also www.wayofthemaster.com

Handy place to learn how to witness. Watch some of the episodes!

---------

Well those are just some tips to breaking through some fears that christians have. Remember, that there are countless lost souls out there that we need to lead to Christ, let's get out there and do something. I am and i'll continue to make sure i am. How about you?

Simply ask the Holy Spirit to fill you.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My biggest struggle is not only not knowing what to say but I feel like I'm not the right guy to witness. I feel like I have no power to witness and I feel like only an upright and spiritually mature Christian can witness and do it well but I know in my heart this is foolish, if I was being truthful I want to feel like I was the one to bring someone to Christ.
I want to be the guy that goes to God and be like.
"Look at me O Lord, am I not a good servant, look at who I brought to you is it not glorious ? Are you not proud of me ? It's beyond prideful and selfish, but I'm prideful and selfish and foolish and I would admit that I wish I could get God's verbal approval and I know it's wrong.
Your post about the most common fears are valid and overrated but I know I'm not ready to go out and witness, at least I don't feel ready.
Case in point, don't be like me, witness only out of love.

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My biggest struggle is not only not knowing what to say but I feel like I'm not the right guy to witness. I feel like I have no power to witness and I feel like only an upright and spiritually mature Christian can witness and do it well but I know in my heart this is foolish, if I was being truthful I want to feel like I was the one to bring someone to Christ.
I want to be the guy that goes to God and be like.
"Look at me O Lord, am I not a good servant, look at who I brought to you is it not glorious ? Are you not proud of me ? It's beyond prideful and selfish, but I'm prideful and selfish and foolish and I would admit that I wish I could get God's verbal approval and I know it's wrong.
Your post about the most common fears are valid and overrated but I know I'm not ready to go out and witness, at least I don't feel ready.
Case in point, don't be like me, witness only out of love.

Easy way to at least plant a seed is to ask someone if they'd like to take a challenge and try to win $10, then ask them to name all 10 commandments. If they name them all then give them the $10. That'll open up the conversation. OR, if they don't get all 10, then give them a 10 commandment coin and a gospel tract.

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't consider it bribing. Most people can relate to worldly things like... money. It's a great way to open the door. And most people can't recite the 10 commandments... Go start asking random strangers and you'll see it ain't that easy. Heck, go church and start asking the people who go and you'll find that most of them can't even recite all 10 commandments.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My biggest issue with witnessing is the fact that I can't really answer all the questions that people what to know about God especially when it comes to why he allows certain things to happen especially tragedies.
People do not want empty platitudes or slogans, they want really answers that I can't give them because I'm trying to find them for myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My biggest issue with witnessing is the fact that I can't really answer all the questions that people what to know about God especially when it comes to why he allows certain things to happen especially tragedies.
People do not want empty platitudes or slogans, they want really answers that I can't give them because I'm trying to find them for myself.

If you don't know the answers to their questions then tell them you don't know but you'll do some resource and get back to them. Then get their contact info and follow-up with them once you do your resource. And if you still don't have an answer then let them know.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2022
Estados Unidos
✟7,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi Sharky, thank you so much for this post/thread. Your Shark picture is very cool, by the way :)
I am a saved, born again believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and I do by His grace regularly attempt to witness the Gospel to people and to plant the Gospel seed through Gospel tracts and literature and speaking to people directly. I appreciate your post and I welcome any and all advice from you and others. I was very afraid and shy about any form of public speaking for many years and when God got ahold of my heart to witness to people that began to change, but at times I still encounter this fear.

I have been physically attacked/assaulted by people for telling them they need to turn to Jesus Christ to be saved, even when I was being polite and as kind as I could in the Spirit. Pray for me, please, for my health, safety, and protection.

Also, one thing I have hardly been able to do is to personally lead someone to faith in Christ right there in person. Ultimately it is God whom does the saving but can you please give me any advice on how I can see the person make a decision for the Lord then and there? Thank you!

Upvote 0